Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:44:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kudos to Kurosawa
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kudos to Kurosawa  (Read 1825 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 04:21:41 AM »

I recently saw two films that payed homage to Yohimbo. one was David Lynch''s "Wild At Heart" where near the end at the botched holdup one of the tellers hands get blown off and we see a dog run from the building with it in his mouth.

The other was similar but I can''t remember it at the moment. You guys think of any others?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 03:33:03 PM »

The robot Samurai in Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) was supposedly a respectful nod to Kurosawa.

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »

Hidden Fortress = Star Wars*
Similarities can be seen in the basic plot.
A princess in secret, on the run.
2 Bumbling farmers (Tall one, Short one) = 2 Bumbling droids.. (Tall one, Short one)

John Belushi''s Samurai charactor from the late 70s Saturday Night Live sketches, is just a great Toshiro Mifune''Sanjuro character'' homage. All the little facial expressions, mannerisms. absolute class

One noticed couple of days ago, after rewatching ''Magnificent Seven''..
(yes i know its a remake of Seven Samurai, but you just keep spotting em  Roll Eyes  )

Chico (Horst Buchholz) charactor in The Magnificent Seven is like an amalgam of both Kikuchiyo (Mifune Toshiro) and Katsushiro (Kimura Ko) in Seven Samurai. Chico is originally from a village, but is trying to escape that heritage and become a big time gunfighter.
Like Kikuchiyo, wanting to reinvent himself as a Samurai and leave his peasent cast behind. With the added youth and idealism of the Katsushiro charactor.

*The fact that George Lucas actually considered Mifune for the role of Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars at script stage

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:25:59 PM by The Smoker » Logged

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »

I recently saw two films that payed homage to Yohimbo. one was David Lynch''''s "Wild At Heart" where near the end at the botched holdup one of the tellers hands get blown off and we see a dog run from the building with it in his mouth.

The other was similar but I can''''t remember it at the moment. You guys think of any others?

I think the oddest YOJIMBO remake was the sci-fi film with David Carradine (I think it was called WARRIOR AND SORCERESS or something to that effect)

other films that were inspired by Kurosawa??
try SANSHIRO SUGATA /KARATE KID 
and I always thought Michael Mann studied Kurosawa before he filmed THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM