Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:05:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Hanging Tree (1959)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hanging Tree (1959)  (Read 5956 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

Apparently the Oscar nod it got was for Best Original Song.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

I don't understand this board's aversion to melodrama, not in the least.

The first 45 mins or so are great, but the writer(s) took way too long for the recovery of Maria Schell's character and then Coop gets lost in the shuffle in the last act. Ben Piazza was miscast and added nothing to the movie, and the tension between him and Cooper is pretty much ignored in the final act where his character is merely a bystander. The love triangle angle was half-assed when it should have driven home the movie, with Piazza's scorned character having to decide whether or not to save Cooper.

The gold angle should have come earlier in the film and the fallout should have developed a lot slower - they pretty much go from finding nuggets to looters burning down the town in two minutes. Also, there is some bad dialogue which explains subtext.

With all that said, this looks gorgeous, has great sets and is masterfully directed. It's a few steps short of the three Glenn Ford collaborations (which I think all are masterpieces) but overall a worthy, but flawed western.

8/10

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:19:00 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »

The first 45 mins or so are great, but the writer(s) took way too long for the recovery of Maria Schell's character and then Coop gets left out of the shuffle in the last act. Ben Piazza was miscast and added nothing to the movie, and the tension between him and Cooper is pretty much ignored in the final act where his character is merely a bystander. The love triangle angle was half-assed when it should have driven home the movie, with Piazza's scorned character having to decide whether or not to save Cooper.

The gold angle should have come earlier in the film and the fallout should have developed a lot slower - they pretty much go from finding nuggets to looters burning down the town in two minutes. Also, there is some bad dialogue which explains subtext.

With all that said, this looks gorgeous, has great sets and is masterfully directed. It's a few steps short of the three Glenn Ford collaborations (which I think all are masterpieces) but overall a worthy, but flawed western.

8/10

Sounds like you loved it.  Huh  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »

I thought it was pretty good, and Groggy rated it an 8/10. What more do you want from the board? (Actually, I know I don't count. So it's just Groggy that agrees with you. Poor you).

This is probably my favorite Karl Malden role.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:19:01 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »

I thought it was pretty good, and Groggy rated it an 8/10. What more do you want from the board? (Actually, I know I don't count. So it's just Groggy that agrees with you. Poor you).

I don't see how you can get bent out of shape by that observation while making about a hundred disparaging posts in the Johnny Guitar (the quintessential western melodrama) thread. 

Sounds like you loved it.  Huh  Smiley

Obviously everyone has different criteria on judging movies, and admittedly, I'm a lenient grader. I rarely give something below a 6 - if it's that awful, I usually stop watching in the early going.

An 8 out of ten is something that I feel is worth revisiting at some point. Outside of the flaws in the script, the miscasting of one of the leads, an odd bit character badly played by George C Scott, The Hanging Tree is a unique, innovative, beautifully made film.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 04:48:58 AM »

An 8 out of ten is something that I feel is worth revisiting at some point. Outside of the flaws in the script, the miscasting of one of the leads, an odd bit character badly played by George C Scott, The Hanging Tree is a unique, innovative, beautifully made film.

I thought the sets/location were great looking, didn't care for Scott that much, Malden (he is a great actor but got typecast, personally for me, as a certain type and its not a typical Western type character), and then Schell becomes the tipping point, an American actress may have saved it for me, though, it is watchable.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »

I reckon that this one has a good story and good characterisation. I could have done with more screen time for George C. Scott as the faith healer. He was terrific.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM