Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:37:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blindman (1971)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blindman (1971)  (Read 30562 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 02:02:47 PM »

Was great fun.  Would be interesting to watch again.... sober.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
HEX
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 07:29:42 AM »

yes it is true. ex-BEATLE RINGO STARR(RICHARD STARSKY) plays a mexican bandit named CANDY  in the spaghettiw western BLINDMAN.

JUST SO U KNOW BLINDMAN IS ONE OF THE BEST SPAGHETTI WESTERNS

HEX
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 10:37:10 AM »

NOBODY FINDS THIS INTERESTING?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 04:43:29 PM »

There is a thread about Blindman in the Other Films section HEX

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 06:37:01 PM »

oh thanks JOE

skeleton king
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 10:22:26 PM »

yes it is intrasting i love the beatles very much.

HEX
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 03:12:53 PM »

well here is as promised the BLINDMAN review.

personally with this film the less u know about it the more u will enjoy it(like most spaghettis). so i will try not to give away to much. but for those who have seen the film i would like to comment on some stuff that contain *SPOILERS* but i will signify that there is a spoiler up ahead and for u not to read any further. wheather u continue or not is purly up to youre own will power.

lets begin. the plot revolves around a blind gunslinger trying to get back 50 mail order brides that have been wrongfully stolen from him. what is mostly cool about BLINDMAN the character is that he cant handle himself in a fight(unlike most spag heros). the guy is constantly getting trampled on. which i found this to be very different and entertaining. he is NOT an indestructable manly man(and this i liked) but he is however the luckiest bastard that ever lived. every time he gets in a jam he is helped by some outside force, which usually comes in the form of a mexican general who seems to have a life debt to BLINDMAN ever since he has saved his life. this i did not enjoy at all. if he was to be saved by someone, please let it happen only once. it seems as if every time he is surely going to be killed(which happens more times then i can remember) this mexican general just staggers on set like a crazy drunk and saves him. it would have been nice if BLINDMAN would be like a DJANGO type character and have some trick up his sleeve even if the odds are against him. but there arent any white rabbits in this magicians hat(after all if youre blind and youre occupation is a gunslinger, it helps to be a bit more resourceful then usual) another thing i didnt care for was that in one scene BLINDMAN blows away this guy with a revolver, and he fires six times!!!!! why would he be so wastful  with bullets? i would understand if there was no one else to kill but he was surrounded by like three guys in that scene! couldnt he conserve? on a high note the acting is great(probably the best ive seen in a non-leone western). this is certainly TONY ANTHONY'S best spaghetti western performance(though i havent seen GET MEAN or THE SILENT STRANGER aka STRANGER IN JAPAN nor COMIN AT YA) and he definatly steals the show as the wise cracking BLINDMAN. another fine job was done by(as if u already didnt know) ex-beatle RINGO STARR as a mexican bandit named CANDY. unfortunatly STARR doesnt have that big of a part.

*SPOILER*

RINGO's death was a treat because up until now i had only seen the cut version of the film in which he is only shot once. uncut u can see him be shot again and again.

*SPOILER* ENDS

all the other actors did a top notch job, even the unwanted(at least by me) mexican general did a fine job. the direction is done well also, with lots of fast zooms and zoom outs. the editing is done well, everything moves smoothly, with the exception of a few scenes that seemed like they wanted to get it done quickly and move on.
as for those who like one-liners. this film has some very funny and bad ass one liners u can bother youre friends  to the point of annoyance with.
and for those who enjoy seeing naked  women flooding there movies, this one has a tidal wave of nude chicks for u.
the film is very fun to watch and very unique. and it sometimes reaches the realm of eccentric. for example BLINDMAN'S horse(named BOSS i believe) is especially weird. he has been trained more like a dog for the blind,
and BLINDMAN seems to have some sort of kinetic telepathy with his horse(though this is not something heavy in the film it is just something i noticed, its not put out there.) the movie is actually kinda  a self-parody of itailian westerns. even the music seems like its making fun of MORRICONE scores with its wails and chimes. the ending to the film is both satisfying and fitting.

*SPOILERS*

at the end when that annoying general runs off with the girls was totally unexpected and it kicked major ass!

*SPOILERS* END

so overall...

PROS

1. BLINDMAN gets beat up alot and is shown to have human qualities. he is not an unstoppable being.(this is depending on taste some people may not enjoy this but i sure did.)

2. the atmosphere is wonderfully weird and the plot is very original.

3.RINGO STARR

4.RINGO is great. "the least talented beatle?" HA!. i could never see PAUL MCARTNEY as a decent actor.
out of all the fab four's films MCARTNEY is definatley at the bottom off the food chain in all his roles.(but iam getting off topic)

5.creative torture methods

6.great locations

7.good acting(TONY ANTHONY'S BEST ROLE)

8.creative methods of using a gun(using the beret of a gun as a blind stick)

9. BLINDMAN'S one-liners

10. good soundtrack(is it available?)

CONS

1. annoying ass mexican general who comes in and saves BLINDMAN'S ass way to many times.

2.some sloppy "get it over with" scenes

3. RINGO STARR has a somewhat small role.

4.BLINDMAN isnt very resourceful. u seem to wonder how he has lived so long in his proffesion.

OVERALL the film gets a 3 out of 4 for me. it could have had a four but there is way to many flaws. not a great spaghetti but definatly a very good one. definatly  get the UNCUT version.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:29:54 PM by HEX » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 04:09:45 PM »

I like Blindman too not a comedy western but almost, I enjoyed this one too amigo.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »

sorry i forgot to mention.

this character definatly deserved a sequel even a trilogy.
i would have enjoyed to see this turned into a series.
if THE STRANGER got a series of films, BLINDMAN deserved a series as well. i guess it didnt do well here or overseas.

also has anyone seen that trailer... WOW! ive seen some bad sw trailers in my time but that was beyond awful. and that music!? what was up with that? it sounded like a blacksploitation movie Undecided

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 04:18:55 PM »

Apparently, alot of the reason for there being no sequel was that the sand kept getting behind Anthony's "blind man" contact lenses, which I imagine was more than a bit painful.

Its a great film though - quite comic strip-esq.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »

You could see how Anthony's charactor got that almost intence frawn on his face. It was real pain.

Ace soundtrack.. In the sequence where Blindman rides out to the empty bride card on the plain (Or should that be Boss, the horse) Cipriani music. Its a proper hair standing on the back of the neck moment. class

Theres just been recent discussion over at the Spag Board about getting hold of bootleg soundtracks?
Must own one. Official copies have been rumoured to go for quite a price on ebay.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 03:46:42 AM by The Smoker » Logged

HEX
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 08:23:20 PM »

hey MARCO just finished reading youre review on BLINDMAN(which i always shyed away from. didnt want to hear about cut scenes.) i just realized that we both made pretty much the same comment on PAUL MCARTNEY. i guess u noticed that in most beatles films(especially HARD DAYS NIGHT that he seems like the only one of the four who looked like he was trying to act
instead of just acting.) how strange?

also i wanted to mention that CEIGO is spanish for blind(u have it as itailian). CEIGO is what is written on blindmans flip thingy. i know it seems like a minor gripe but there are alot of unforgiving hispanics out there who hate there language to be butchered. so i figured id just give u some healthy criticism(if u want to call it that). id hate to see u in the midst of a stupid arguement with some guy about it. usually every bodies a complete ***hole online(just check the imbd boards). one little mess-up and youll get a hailstorm of insults.

u can change it if u wish...but... then again its youre site so u can tell me where to stick my opinion.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 04:08:46 AM »

Are you sure its my review, and not someone else's that I've posted on there.  I'm only saying that, because I don't understand ANY languages other than my own (being ignorant!)   Cheesy

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 07:18:55 AM »

Unfortunately i only have a copy of the abridged version also,and as it is this movie is quite enjoyable,but there is no way Blindman can hold it's own amongst the SW greats and i would have to largely agree with Howard Hughes's assessment of 3 out of 5 in his Pocket Essentials Guide.
If this is Tony Anthony's best performance(ok he did a good job despite the unconvincing mumbling) i so far haven't been tempted with the Stranger movies which i gather are mediocre FOD & FAFDM imitations, afterall there is only ONE Clint-but if i saw them for a cheap price.....?

HEX
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 09:17:21 AM »

i would have to say it is his best role(mind u i havent seen GET MEAN, STRANGER IN JAPAN or COMIN AT YA! but i hear tell these films arent up to snuff with his other sw works. though u cant always go by opinion).
the way he presents himself is almost chilling(when hes not cracking a wise ass statement). "almost mumbiling"?
i hardly think he was even close to mumbling. that voice is one of the few voices in the sw world that has not been ruined by bad dubbing( for example DJANGO, TEXAS ADDIO, SHOOT THE LIVING PRAY FOR THE DEAD, DJANGO KILL the list goes on and on).

to MARCO: iam almost sure it was youre review but if u dont remember writing that comment i guess its not. ill check again.

but overall i do agree with u BANJO. like i said in my review it isnt one of the greats, but its definatley very good.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 09:20:52 AM by HEX » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM