Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:37:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's life
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica's life  (Read 22855 times)
Tim
« on: January 25, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »

What does everyone think Harmonica did in between the years of his brother's death and then when he finally caught up with Frank?

Obviously, he took care of some of Frank's henchmen since he rattles off more than a few names.  Let's say 20 years passed in between the two events.  Has Harmonica been trying to exact revenge this whole time? 

Danny
Bandido

People scare easier when they're dyin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:19:27 AM »

I think he spent most of the years looking for Frank. In the years he met some of Frank's henchmen, but the man himself was always a step ahead.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 06:52:49 AM »

Presumably he also learned to shoot.

It's class.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:32:43 PM »

Not only can he shoot, he can play.  I've heard the harmonica is very difficult to learn to play, maybe it took him years to learn it or his instructor wouldn't give him a passing grade.  More seriously, when Frank and his guys tie up harmonica in the train and try to question him, why didn't they go through his pockets, frisk him, and find the harmonica?  Finding that would've tipped off Frank most likely who Harmonica was.  I guess it's the similar question to why Indio didn't find Mortimer's pocketwatch.....

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:28 AM »

What's with all the frisking business suddenly? Would Frank really have remembered before the harmonica is actually crammed in his mouth? That's the definite moment of truth.

I don't think Frank have spent 20 years thinking about the hanging deed and the mexican half breed boy every time he saw or heard a harmonica, which was, after all, quite a common instrument in the Wild West - at least according to movie mythology - which is the exact turf of OUATIW. And a personage like Frank.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »

What does everyone think Harmonica did in between the years of his brother's death and then when he finally caught up with Frank?

Has Harmonica been trying to exact revenge this whole time? 
I'd say he was accruing retributive glamour (how's that for a mouthful?)

Consider: when Harmonica guns down Frank, although he is chiefly concerned with avenging his brother, he is settling several other scores as well. Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper and Chuck Youngblood require satisfaction, and are no doubt "behind" Harmonica when he sends his bullet into Frank "as a judgment."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
ellisc
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 11:05:09 AM »

Obviously, he took care of some of Frank's henchmen since he rattles off more than a few names. 

My take was that Harmonica is naming off folks that Frank had killed, not that they were Frank's henchmen.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »

I agree with the llama ellisc; I've always felt those dead folks were bumped off by Frank.  On the other hand, I'm not sure Frank would've remembered all the people he's killed (or known their names).

Tim
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 07:33:20 PM »

I'll second the opinion that the names Harmonica rattles off are men Frank killed.

Thanks for the answers, guys.  Great to see what everybody thinks Harmonica did in between those years.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 03:36:29 PM »

Frank killed the men because Harmonica says it, unless he is lying.
I really like the gaze of Frank, and the slight music, when Harmonica tells the names. Like when someone tells you names of old friends you had forgotten, and the power of the names brings you all the memories.
 But the real question is: are these names those of the men we see in the final scene or are they those of other Franck's acquaintance?
  So what Harmonica did during all these years? Well...He may have gone to bed early...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 03:41:49 PM by Dlanor » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 03:54:46 PM »

Maybe its something to do with Death... I think I've brought this up before but Harmonica may, just maybe a sort of avenging angel or maybe even Death, the Grim Reaper comming for Frank.

First of all why is he alive, Frank had no real restraints from gunning down Little Timmy when he heard his partner call him Frank, Harmonica would have known his name too, so he should have been gunned down right after his brother hung.

Harmonica was gunned down at Cattle Corner, bullet hole very close to the heart, he should not have gotten up, much less carry on as though nothing had happened, unless he is something other than what we think. He is also dressed the same as in the flash back, a coincidence, or something more eternal.

Harmonica names the names of al the people Frank has killed, again Death would know everthing about Frank.

He also carries off the body of Cheyenne.

You could go either way with this.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 02:37:26 AM »

Bit on the heavy side that Joe.  What's in them cigars?? I remember writing on a forum years ago about the Timmy/young Harmonica thing and I came to the conclusion that Frank was not known by name to Harmonica. 

We don't know the reason for the killing of his brother and it may have been as short and sweet as the Sweetwater massacre.  Frank came, killed and left. 

When Timmy comes out of the house Frank looks at him almost loving but his expression quickly becomes remorseful at the mention of his name.  Timmy now has to be killed.  This doesn't fit with the fact that Timmy's survival would have made him heir to the property but there is just something about Franks face that suggests he is doing something that even he is not comfortable with.

Perhaps someone has lip-read what harmonicas brother says - for all I know he's saying 'c'mon Frank I was only kidding' - but I always felt that Frank left him as he was an unknown and felt no threat from the child.

In the intervening years, therefore, Harmonica learnt how to shoot and asked the right people the right questions about the mysterious stranger dressed in black; who he was, who else he killed and, when he was ready, where he was.

No doubt there is someone out there who knows what Big Brother was saying when the rope was round his neck.  I would be interested to hear.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 05:22:27 AM »

Well, think about it. he gets shot at close range, with a sawed-off rifle by Woody close to the heart, no meer mortal man should be able to just get up.

While your senario is probably what 99% would come up with, there may be more symbolisim to it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 01:24:58 PM »

Intersting interpretation.
I think Harmonica's brother knew Franck, I think they were in a buisness relation ship of some sort. I even think he could have been Frank pal in the past exactly like the handmates who witnessed his death.I also think that Harmonica knew Frank indirectly because of his brother or even he knew him at the same level because he worked with his brother. The brother may have teamed with them and something turned bad. Wich would add more depth to what Harmonica says: "You know them because you killed them": Frank would finish by killing his associates one by one, all would be a question of time. So, it was Harmonica's brother on the rope, but after it'd have been the one who bites the apple who would be killed, then the next one, etc...
So during all these years Harmonica may have searched for Frank pals who he knew personnaly, to settle them their account, only to discover that Frank had killed them. Frank and Harmonica belongs to the same species, the difference is that Harmonica is not a bad guy, it'd be another clue that they were acquaintance in the past.
 I've always seen this scene like this and I think it's much, much more dramatic than if Frank and Harmonica's brother were total strangers. For example see what happened in AFDM ,how many betrayals there is in El Indio clan during the movie.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:36:37 PM by Dlanor » Logged
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 04:24:44 PM »

Joe,
I find your take on Harmonica very interesting.
I'll have to view the dvd again.
About his wound, it could be just a flesh wound, so common in westerns.
I've always wondered how he could resist Jill's charms, maybe because he was'nt quite human.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM