Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:16:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's life
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica's life  (Read 22822 times)
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »

Except that Harmonica doesn't drink coffee. He likes water, and he likes his water fresh.

Actually, the request for water is a ruse. Harmonica, in fact, is one of the few characters in the film not associated with liquids. There are the good guys seeking liquids (Jill is always looking for a bath, Cheyenne is always looking for coffee) and the bad guys (Morton's quest for the Pacific, the fact that Wobbles works in a laundry) who are associated with water, but Harmonica stands apart. Water is, after all, necessary for life, and Harmonica has something to do with death.

Thanks Dave.  Interesting.  Harmonica seems to have no interest in water or the earth.

Jill:                     Here's to you and congratulations.  You got yourself a good deal.
Harmonica:        Oh, the auction.  Forget it.  I don't invest in land.
Jill:                     You  don't look at all like the noble defender of poor defenseless widows.  Then again....
                          I don't look like a poor defenseless widow.
Harmonica:        Cheyenne's right.  You're a remarkable woman.
Jill:                     And you're a remarkable man.  But you have something on your mind.
Harmonica:        And you've got something on your mind.
Jill:                     Hot water.  A bathtub full of hot water.
                          (Frank enters)
                          I think it's time I fill that bathtub.

What of Frank though....He wants the property called Sweetwater.  He wants to supplant Morton and be in charge when the train should arrive on the Pacific coast.  He gets served a drink in the bar but Harmonica actually drinks it and drops his dollar coin in the empty glass.  I suppose you could say he found liquid refreshment with Jill....... Grin.  Funny, as I was typing this, for some stupid reason I was hearing Woody Allen say "And you've got something on your mind"....like from Love And Death or something.  Don't ask me why......just one of those crazy things that flashes through the mind sometimes....   Grin

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:34:36 AM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2007, 01:25:07 AM »

I think he's a little like the istari (valar-send-maias): he had a human form, but his power and his wil in non-human. Or, when he's mortal...

You're quite a Tolkienist, aren't you? Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

Yes, a Tolkienist too.  Wink

LotR movie were better with Sergio's direction and Morricone's music. I imagine Isildur vs. Sauron - long, long minutes they watchin' each other and then one shot...  Grin

Earth is Jill's element. Hm, then Harmonica comes back, asks for water... fresh water, and then Jill knows soon, who this white-haired grandpa is  Grin And he says:
- Nice town.
- Would you stay? (Jill)
- I must go.
And he goes...  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »

Yes, a Tolkienist too.  Wink

LotR movie were better with Sergio's direction and Morricone's music. I imagine Isildur vs. Sauron - long, long minutes they watchin' each other and then one shot...  Grin

I'm such a person who would say "no Lord of the Rings film, even if with Leone." Though... hm... he might do some scenes very cool, especially Mordor, I imagine. But I like most the moments that just cannot be shown easily in a film. Mostly the way I imagine it myself when reading it.

Enough. The parable with Istari is a good one, really. Immortal being, but in human form, that means vulnerable...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:07 AM »

Yeah, there are many parts in LotR Sergio could not make. Just figure the typical Leone actors as elves...  Grin Grin Grin

But Mario Brega would be a perfect uruk-hai.  Wink And a typical SW hero (Clint or Franco Nero or Gianni Garko) could be a good Aragorn - better than this Viggo kid...
(I don't like LotR films. Books are much, much better...)
And what about Eli Wallach as Gollum? "Ssssad Hill sssemetery, my precioussss. It's ourssss... it's all oursss, Mr Frodo"

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »

(Clint or Franco Nero or Gianni Garko) could be a good Aragorn

If they make them blackhaired. Otherwise - no! Grin

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »

I think between those 20 years he learned to shoot, did some bounty work, made friends with The Man with No Name, until he met his new friend Tuco, and they never spoke again after that. So he decides to go and kill Frank, and after that Blondie invites Harmonica over to his new residence, maybe some nice place in california, and became best friends after that.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

hi guys, aren't you all forgetting the reason why Frank's men were at Cattle Corner?
that is right, to dispose of Harmonica.
therefore, Frank already knew of him.

yes, Harmonica is "not of this earth"
Frank doesn't leave witnesses. we know that.
Harmonica was murdered just after his brother.

in the final showdown, Harmonica shoots first.
meaning, his job is to kill Frank no matter what, the rest is just ritual.

and yes, the "someday" utterance by Harmonica at the end means, someday he'll be back - but only to collect more souls.

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »

hi guys, aren't you all forgetting the reason why Frank's men were at Cattle Corner?
that is right, to dispose of Harmonica.
therefore, Frank already knew of him...
Not so sure about that.
Frank is an aging gunfighter and to last so long he had to be cautious. Did'nt he say: «people scare easier when they are dead».
To be asked for an appointment can only mean trouble. So it is easier for him to eliminate trouble.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »

To be asked for an appointment can only mean trouble. So it is easier for him to eliminate trouble.

Exactly.

He's one of the best gunfighters around and he knows that plenty of young gunman are willing to kill him to make a name for themselves. So he sends some men to eliminate the problem.

Unfortunately for him, he underestimated the ultra badass Harmonica.   Cool

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2007, 10:16:30 AM »

sorry guys,
i don't buy that arguement.
it's really just a plot device anyway.
in fact, if Frank can't recognise Harmonica later on, how'd he know about him in the first place.

generally the simplest solution is the best.

it's a plot device, either that, or devine intervention.

best, ?

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »

I don't believe Frank knew who Harmonica was. That's why he kept asking who he was.

Harmonica made an appointment to kill Frank that morning, while Frank had other buisiness to attend (McBane Family) so he sent his henchmen instead.

I don't know how you can think Frank knew who he was. It couldn't be any clearer that he didn't.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »

Kevin is right. Frank had no clue who Harmonica was until Harmonica puts the "Harmonica" in his mouth at the end.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:38 PM »

I am sure Frank remembers that incident, but he never would have thought that kid would have grown up to become Harmonica. Karma bit him in the ass, and a put hole into his chest.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2007, 08:57:45 PM »

i still don't buy it, sorry.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM