Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:13:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's life
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica's life  (Read 23404 times)
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »

Then you need to watch the movie again. I manage to get it the first time I watched it.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »

You definitely need to watch the movie again. Frank does not know who Harmonica is until the climax. It's pretty obvious.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »

it's a plot flaw/contrivance, then.
and i still don't buy it.

still, i respect all of you guy's theories, as well.
and it subtracts nothing from this incredible work of art.

best to you all,

archie.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »

This is like saying "Joe", "Monco", and "Blondie" are the same characters. Watch the movie again, and you'll realize that Frank didn't know who Harmonica was. If he did he would have said "Hey...I killed your brother!"

Trust me, I am sure Sergio, Bernardo, Daro, and the other Sergio knew what they were writting about.  Watch the movie again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »

This is getting a bit convoluted.
Exactly what are you guys arguing over?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »

hi guys, aren't you all forgetting the reason why Frank's men were at Cattle Corner?
that is right, to dispose of Harmonica.
therefore, Frank already knew of him.

yes, Harmonica is "not of this earth"
Frank doesn't leave witnesses. we know that.
Harmonica was murdered just after his brother.

in the final showdown, Harmonica shoots first.
meaning, his job is to kill Frank no matter what, the rest is just ritual.

and yes, the "someday" utterance by Harmonica at the end means, someday he'll be back - but only to collect more souls.

That.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »

I think archangle just worded it wrong.

Frank sent his men to Cattle Corner station because Harmonica made an appointment with him, so in a sense Frank knew that somebody wanted to meet him (not that Harmonica wanted to).  Now when Harmonica made that appointment what name did he use, Calder Benson, Jack Youngblood, ... we don't know but whatever name he used it was enough for Frank to send three men to kill him.

Other than this I agree with all archangle said:

yes, Harmonica is "not of this earth"
Frank doesn't leave witnesses. we know that.
Harmonica was murdered just after his brother.

in the final showdown, Harmonica shoots first.
meaning, his job is to kill Frank no matter what, the rest is just ritual.

and yes, the "someday" utterance by Harmonica at the end means, someday he'll be back - but only to collect more
souls.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2007, 08:31:08 PM »

sorry guys,
i don't buy that arguement.
it's really just a plot device anyway.
in fact, if Frank can't recognise Harmonica later on, how'd he know about him in the first place.

generally the simplest solution is the best.

it's a plot device, either that, or devine intervention.

best, ?

and this.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

Its not a plot device that part is wrong. And so is:

if Frank can't recognise Harmonica later on, how'd he know about him in the first place.

Frank sent his men to Cattle Corner station because Harmonica made an appointment with him, so in a sense Frank knew that somebody wanted to meet him (not that Harmonica wanted to).  Now when Harmonica made that appointment what name did he use, Calder Benson, Jack Youngblood, ... we don't know but whatever name he used it was enough for Frank to send three men to kill him.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »

Exactly, and Frank didn't know who Harmonica truely was until his "moment of dying". and we are kept guessing like Frank was for 2 hours and 20 mins. That's what makes the film so brilliant.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »

agreed Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »

in fact, if Frank can't recognise Harmonica later on, how'd he know about him in the first place.

Because Wobbles made that appointment for Harmonica. Frank didn't meet Harmonica personally. (If he did, after all, it would be the appointment already and there would be no need for a new one...)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2007, 01:13:33 AM »

Exactly, and Frank didn't know who Harmonica truely was until his "moment of dying". and we are kept guessing like Frank was for 2 hours and 20 mins. That's what makes the film so brilliant.

Absolutely true! The whole point is, that neither we or Frank didn`t know who Harmonica really is until the final shootout. That`s why Frank several times ask Harmonica: "Who are you"? And that`s why the "moment of dying" is mention several times, too.

Strictly speaking: -we find out who Harmonica is when we saw the final and complete flashback;
                          -Frank finds out (remembered) who Harmonica was, when he puts his harmonica into the Frank`s mouth.

I think that this is obvious!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM