Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:19:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Yellow Sky (1948)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yellow Sky (1948)  (Read 15667 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 03:41:52 PM »

Some of the B&W cinematography is nicely surrealistic.
You can thank the great Joe MacDonald for that.

I finally saw this and yeah, Joe, this is a pretty good film. Loved the crossing of the salt flats (Death Valley). Ann Baxter is pretty good, too, she looks great in jeans and is still young enough to be appealing (short little thing, ain't she?) After All About Eve (1950) she always looked like somebody's mother.

This flick is ripe for a re-make. You could do a lot with it, expanding the bank job, making the desert crossing more arduous (why not have a couple gang members die there?), playing up more of the betrayals amongst the gang as gold fever takes hold. Also, it would be great if Gramps and the girl weren't so goody-goody. How about a denoument where, after disposing of the gang (and maybe Gramps expiring somehow in the process), the hero and heroine are finally all alone with the gold. But the funny thing is, when the ecstacy is upon you, it's just not possible to share....... Yeah, my approach would turn the thing into more of a noir, with lots of double-crosses. Could be good, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:48 PM »

This flick is ripe for a re-make. You could do a lot with it, expanding the bank job, making the desert crossing more arduous (why not have a couple gang members die there?), playing up more of the betrayals amongst the gang as gold fever takes hold. Also, it would be great if Gramps and the girl weren't so goody-goody. How about a denoument where, after disposing of the gang (and maybe Gramps expiring somehow in the process), the hero and heroine are finally all alone with the gold. But the funny thing is, when the ecstacy is upon you, it's just not possible to share....... Yeah, my approach would turn the thing into more of a noir, with lots of double-crosses. Could be good, though.

Exactly what I think too, make it a bit more SW, with a bit more picaresque characters with some theme music for some of them too. There are a few of these out there especially the good B&W Western films that could benefit from a remake.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 06:21:04 PM »

One more thing, I forgot about a shot in this film. It had a sequence where Anne Baxter is drawing a bead on Gregory Peck with a Winchester, what's unique is (and I don't know if it was done before this) is that there is a cut where the camera looks through the barrel of the Winchester and we see Peck surrounded by a circle surrounded by the rifleing in the barrel of the gun, pretty cool effect.
Fuller copies this (consciously or not, I don't know) in Forty Guns.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 05:48:20 AM »

After recently watching Bad Day at Balck Rock and Yellow Sky, We need some updated Westerns shot in the Mojave Desert & Death Valley, what great landscapes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »

I think most of Yellow Sky was shot at Lone Pine, though. The Death Valley locations were only in the first part of the picture. But yeah, I agree, we need to see more deserts in our films set on the wild frontier.

Tim
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »

After recently watching Bad Day at Balck Rock and Yellow Sky, We need some updated Westerns shot in the Mojave Desert & Death Valley, what great landscapes.

Wasn't The Professionals shot in Death Valley?  That's got some great cinematography as they cross the flats and then get into the mountain country with all the canyons.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »

Wasn't The Professionals shot in Death Valley?  That's got some great cinematography as they cross the flats and then get into the mountain country with all the canyons.

Don't know for sure but the railroad sections were shot on the Magma Mine RR in Arizona I believe.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »

Finished this just now.
I liked it a lot.
The was an obvious attempt to make the characters look dirty (something you don't see often).

My only gripe is that ending.

spoiler...

Who else found it annoying that they gave the money back?

spoiler end.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 10:03:51 AM »

One more thing, I forgot about a shot in this film. It had a sequence where Anne Baxter is drawing a bead on Gregory Peck with a Winchester, what's unique is (and I don't know if it was done before this) is that there is a cut where the camera looks through the barrel of the Winchester and we see Peck surrounded by a circle surrounded by the rifleing in the barrel of the gun, pretty cool effect.

Yeah, reminded me of James Bond but then my next thought was Carnimeo's "The moment to kill" which uses the same effect only with a double barrel shotgun.

Of course both, the franchise and the other flick, these were released after "Yellow Sky".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »

Yellow Sky is really good, I saw it a while ago on AMC. They sometimes play good westerns on Sunday mornings.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »

If you liked the desert sequences in Yellow Sky check out "Three Godfathers" also.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »

It's a good little Western, though not special or outstanding as some deem it to be. The cinematography is nice and the performances are good, but it's also frickin' inert once they get to town. Inert and predictable, actually. Like someone said before; they had a few characters too many there, that should have been disposed of earlier in the desert. Also, that ending should have been avoided. And the generic romance subplot, but I guess we wouldn't have much of a movie then, eh?.

7.4/10

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:22:37 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »

Grandpa: Mighty hot sun, almost tempts a man to drink water.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »

It's a good little Western, though not special or outstanding as some deem it to be.
Right, right. So the better Westerns of 1949 are . . . ?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »

Right, right. So the better Westerns of 1949 are . . . ?

Yellow Sky was released in 1948, not 1949. But what would that prove anyway?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM