Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:07:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Yellow Sky (1948)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yellow Sky (1948)  (Read 16105 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 02:34:15 AM »

Yellow Sky is meanwhile for me one of the best westerns, only the end is a let-down.

It seems like this end wasn't part of the original film. It seems pretty much like one of these altered-by-the-producer ends. But I haven't any informations if this actually happened or if Wellman and Trotti are to blame for it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 02:55:25 AM »

Yellow Sky was released in 1948, not 1949. But what would that prove anyway?
It would prove that you're comparing apples, not apples and oranges.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how one looks at it), certain movies I've watched in the 21st century, and not in the 20th.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:07:00 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »

I don't think the film loses any steam once they enter town, the desert scenes ran their course. I agree that the ending is a little disappointing, but this is a masterpiece. DD, you don't seem to enjoy any classic american westerns.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 12:15:10 PM »

DD, you don't seem to enjoy any classic american westerns.

Hmmm, that ''any'' looks kinda suspicious. What gave you that impression, that I don't enjoy (C)AW in general?

After all, I gave YS a 7.4, which is a pretty good indicator I enjoyed it. Couldn't give it more because I felt there wasn't enough masterpiece material. The desert scenes are excellent and the ending is also very good (although crude at moments), but the middle chunk seemed draggy in more than one occasion. I felt like they had to entertain them all with a (generic) romance subplot.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

Hmmm, that ''any'' looks kinda suspicious. What gave you that impression, that I don't enjoy (C)AW in general?

After all, I gave YS a 7.4, which is a pretty good indicator I enjoyed it. Couldn't give it more because I felt there wasn't enough masterpiece material. The desert scenes are excellent and the ending is also very good (although crude at moments), but the middle chunk seemed draggy in more than one occasion. I felt like they had to entertain them all with a (generic) romance subplot.

I didn't mean to put you on the spot, but I never seen you rate an old school Western higher than a 7-something.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

I didn't mean to put you on the spot, but I never seen you rate an old school Western higher than a 7-something.

Tell you what, stay tuned, everything is possible when the end of the year starts knocking on the door. I'm temporarily on a W frenzy, by the laws of probability I must run into something out of the ordinary sooner or later. Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »

This loses steam once Peck shaves. Should have kept his beard on. Roll Eyes The scene where he tells about himself to the prospector and niece is embarassing. The finale possibly even more. These 2 scenes alone (and even some Peck scenes where he has no clue as to playing) ruin what might have been an absolute masterpiece, with a photography which can be easily compared (favourably) to My Darling Clementine. As it is I give it a7\10, just as I gave, if I remember well, to MDC.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »

This loses steam once Peck shaves. Should have kept his beard on. Roll Eyes The scene where he tells about himself to the prospector and niece is embarassing. The finale possibly even more. These 2 scenes alone (and even some Peck scenes where he has no clue as to playing) ruin what might have been an absolute masterpiece, with a photography which can be easily compared (favourably) to My Darling Clementine. As it is I give it a7\10, just as I gave, if I remember well, to MDC.
I guess this is fair and I don't disagree with any of it. I object to the comment that the film is "nothing special" or words to that effect. A B&W Western shot by Joe MacDonald is, by definition, special.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »

I guess this is fair and I don't disagree with any of it. I object to the comment that the film is "nothing special" or words to that effect. A B&W Western shot by Joe MacDonald is, by definition, special.

Oh, you can object and disagree if you wish.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »

You'd think an old semantics lover like dave would know the difference between ''the movie is not special (or outstanding)'' and ''there's nothing special about this movie''.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

They are semantically identical.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »

A movie could be special just because it has nothing special.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »

I just saw "Yellow Sky." Didn't like it as much as most of you did. Also, I didn't find the Gregory Peck character totally convincing; the "honest bank robber." I mean, yeah, in the movies, you need a certain suspension of disbelief, but I this wasn't very convincing.

"Yellow Sky" reminded me of another black 'n white AW made a few years later, "The Secret of Convict Lake." I prefer the latter.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »

Yowza! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews21/yellow_sky_dvd_review.htm

Beaver claims it's Region B locked, as per what's on the packaging, but I've read elsewhere that it is in fact Region Free. I shall investigate further . . . .

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM