Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:52:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Old western - need help identifying
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old western - need help identifying  (Read 5346 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:46 AM »

Old western - need help identifying, saw on TV at least 25 or more years ago.  A group of white people (maybe from stagcoach or army troop) meets up with Indians in the desert, retreat to a ditch, and Indians lay siege.  Apparently, neither has too much water, and the white people pretend they have plenty of water, such as tricking the Indians that they have water to waste like showering it upon themselves but in reality they're catching the water in a basin which the Indians can't see. As tuco said "it must have a name or a number", who can help identify the film?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:48:29 AM »

To clarify - this was a US Western, not a Spaghetti.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

Could it be... DUEL AT DIABLO 1965 with James Garner, Sidney poitier and Bill Travers.
I remember this had a nice score too.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 01:33:14 PM »

Could it be... DUEL AT DIABLO 1965 with James Garner, Sidney poitier and Bill Travers.
I remember this had a nice score too.
That would have bin' my guess, LE BON. Terrific western. The score I love. If memory serves me correct it was scored by NEAL HEFTI!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 05:25:17 AM »

That would have bin' my guess, LE BON. Terrific western. The score I love. If memory serves me correct it was scored by NEAL HEFTI!
http://www.spaceagepop.com/hefti.htm

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:41:31 PM »

This is interesting, according to Frayling, Ralf Nelson was the closest American director in style to Sergio Leone. His three westerns Dule at Diablo (1965), Soldier Blue (1970), and Wrath of God (1973) maybe worth a look.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:37:10 AM »

This is interesting, according to Frayling, Ralf Nelson was the closest American director in style to Sergio Leone. His three westerns Dule at Diablo (1965), Soldier Blue (1970), and Wrath of God (1973) maybe worth a look.
                                                                                                                                                                      nelson directed william helman's "soldier in the rain" w/ mcqueen in '63. soldier blue, maybe not, BUT he had obviously taken in leone's films. 180 degree impact. "wrath", w/ mitchem is great. if you want a large charge check into rod sterling's "requiem for a heavyweight". anthony quinn is a leone as you can get.  nelson started by learning suddenly by leaps and bounds. he changes his style to undefindable.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 04:07:44 AM by KERMIT » Logged
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 05:47:53 PM »

Ralph Nelson...
DUEL AT DIABLO is not the film Cusser was asking about, but it is a good cowboy vs Indian western with an interesting score by N Hefti(of '60's BATMAN THEME fame)

Nelson preceded this film with among others... LILIES OF THE FIELD with DIABLO costar Sid Poitier.

The graphic violence(subsequently censored, and the only reason to endure this movie) in SOLDIER BLUE cost him an award from the Catholic church that he got for LILIES

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 01:29:13 AM »

Ralph Nelson...
DUEL AT DIABLO is not the film Cusser was asking about, but it is a good cowboy vs Indian western with an interesting score by N Hefti(of '60's BATMAN THEME fame)

Nelson preceded this film with among others... LILIES OF THE FIELD with DIABLO costar Sid Poitier.

The graphic violence(subsequently censored, and the only reason to endure this movie) in SOLDIER BLUE cost him an award from the Catholic church that he got for LILIES
Put us out of our misery.....what was it?  Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Sgt. Angel eyes
Chicken Thief

I wish you luck!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »

No need to go back 25 years, this was on TV in the last two weeks!! I don't remeber the exact date, or the name unfortunately. It WAS the same plot, to a T!! If you have an old TV guide, starting looking through it. I don't remember what channel it was unfortunately. Had to be TMC, or AMC, or one of those stations that will actually play old westerns.

How's your digestion now??
UNKNOWN GRAVE
Road Apple

UNK UNK ????

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

This sounds like

Last of the Comanches from 1953

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044828/maindetails

That would be my guess at least.  I think AMC was showing it recently, but not too sure abt that...

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 07:43:02 AM »

Thanks guys, that sounds like it may be the right one.  Hey, Sgt. Angel Eyes: like your photo !!!

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 04:19:12 AM »

"tricking the Indians that they have water to waste like showering it upon themselves but in reality they're catching the water in a basin which the Indians can't see"

This is funny. Years ago I saw an old Humphrey Bogart war movie in which Bogie and his compatriots pulled this same ruse on the Germans who surrounded them in the desert. When I looked up LAST OF THE COMANCHES, the IMDb told me it's a remake of SAHARA!

BTW, There's a new movie due out this year called SAHARA. I wonder if it's yet another remake....

Sgt. Angel eyes
Chicken Thief

I wish you luck!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 07:52:35 PM »

Found a premise at another site, sure sounds like the one, I remember seeing a very young looking Lloyd Bridges in it.

Broderick Crawford - Sgt. Matt Trainor
Barbara Hale - Julia Lanning
John Stewart - Little Knife
Lloyd Bridges - Jim Starbuck
Mickey Shaughnessy - Rusty Potter
George Mathews - Romany O'Rattigan
Hugh Sanders - Denver Kinnaird
Ric Roman - Martinez
Chubby Johnson - Henry Ruppert
Martin Milner - Billy Creel
Milton Parsons - Prophet Satterlee
Jack Woody - Corporal Floyd
Carleton Young - Maj. Lanning
Jay Silverheels - Indian
Rodd Redwing - Indian
Bud Osborne - Wagonmaster
Steve Forrest - Lt. Floyd
John War Eagle - Black Cloud
George Cheseboro - Pete

Cavalry sergeant Broderick Crawford is among the handful of survivors of a Comanche attack. Crawford must lead the survivors across 100 miles of treacherous terrain, and there's only a limited supply of water. Thing of it is, the hidden Comanches are also short of water, and they dearly covet the contents of Crawford's canteens. Also in the thirsty little group is Barbara Hale, whose presence causes dissension in the male ranks. Last of the Comanches was the second 3-D effort of director Andre DeToth--who, as any film fanatic will tell you, had only one eye.

How's that for irony!?! The director filmed a 3-D movie, yet only had one eye.

Thanks, the pic is of Angel Eyes, when he suddenly hears Wallace call out BILL CARSON, in the prisoner roll call. Talk about pure luck, lol.,,,,SAE

How's your digestion now??
UNKNOWN GRAVE
Road Apple

UNK UNK ????

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 08:00:36 PM »

cool!!! glad to be of help...you guys always know so much stuff Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM