Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:27:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The War Wagon (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The War Wagon (1967)  (Read 3846 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:40:36 AM »

ITV (as part of Sunday afternoon western series) are showing the JOHN WAYNE/KIRK DOUGLAS starrer, THE WAR WAGON. 4.15pm. just got time to nip out fer' a bag of popcorn.  Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:03:45 PM »

This is one of the best Wayne films for sheer fun.

Heck, I'd recommend it most Spag fans. It's got a good story, lots of style and several unusual elements, the way any good spag does.

Ehi amico... c' Sabata, hai chiuso!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »

This is a very good western. Not really anything deeper, just pure entertainment but very entertaining entertainment Grin. It's basically a heist flick with all the usual flavors: each gangmember has their own speciality, there's some tension between them, the gangleader has more in his mind just the catch etc.  Plus the usual AW stuff: Indians, lovestory, saloon fight... The best part are the scenes between the two big stars, Wayne and Douglas. There's great chemistry in those scenes and the dialogue is sharp; cool oneliners all the time. The heist itself could have been more exciting, though.

No masterpiece but a great way to spend Sunday afternoon and a bowl of pop corn.
7.5/10

SPOILER:
Anyone else thought the ending kind of ripped off The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »

This is a very good western. Not really anything deeper, just pure entertainment but very entertaining entertainment Grin. It's basically a heist flick with all the usual flavors: each gangmember has their own speciality, there's some tension between them, the gangleader has more in his mind just the catch etc.  Plus the usual AW stuff: Indians, lovestory, saloon fight... The best part are the scenes between the two big stars, Wayne and Douglas. There's great chemistry in those scenes and the dialogue is sharp; cool oneliners all the time. The heist itself could have been more exciting, though.

No masterpiece but a great way to spend Sunday afternoon and a bowl of pop corn.
7.5/10

SPOILER:
Anyone else thought the ending kind of ripped off The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

I'm happy you enjoyed THE WAR WAGON moviesceleton! It's a fun film for sure. I enjoyed your review.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »

I got to see this movie for the first time in ages tonight thanks to TCM. This was an absolute favorite of mine as a kid, I don't know how many times I saw it back in those days, but this is the first time since I've been a sentient human being that I've gotten to see it.

The movie is a pretty typical late-career vehicle for the Duke. The plot is pretty basic - rival gunslingers Wayne and Kirk Douglas team up to gain revenge on crooked landowner Bruce Cabot - and the characterization is pretty thin, but most people who would watch a film like this wouldn't watch it for plot. There isn't a lot of directoral flair, Burt Kennedy being just a few notches above Andrew V. McLaglen on the talent scale, but he does an adequate job. The action scenes are mostly good - I particularly loved the huge barfight at the half-way point, but I found the actual raid on the wagon rather anti-climactic - I still like the Indian swigging the nitro, as I said on the RTLMYS thread.

The supporting cast is good if unspectacular - Bruce Cabot, Keenan Wynn and surprisngly Howard Keel all do fine work - but it's Duke and Kirk's show all the way. They have great chemistry, as rivals with a grudging respect for one another (The "mine was taller" scene is a great moment). I wish they'd been able to collaborate on better films than those they did, but it's still fun to watch these two ultimate tough guys begrudgingly share the screen.

I give it a 6/10, not a great or even particularly good film but not a bad way to spend 100 minutes.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:02:20 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »

I watched it too, and agree about a 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:32:56 PM »

since I've been a sentient human being
Huh? When did that happen? Groggy, you should have mailed out an announcement.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »

Your letter got lost in the mail.

Now, what do you think about this movie Jinkies?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM