Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 03:48:00 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's motive for the night scene
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Harmonica's motive for the night scene  ( 8780 )
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« : February 13, 2005, 09:04:49 AM »

I am reflecting a lot on Harmonica these days. Mostly thanx to Joe's commentaries.
I am wondering what was Harmonica trying to do, that night when he plays outside the window. Surely not trying to comfort Jill, as she shoots at him.
And then the falling match.
Come to think of it, we don't see him smoking anytime in the film, when compared to Eastwood, who relights his butts constantly.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : February 14, 2005, 04:20:15 AM »

Thats a good question I thought that it maybe one of Franks men and Harmonica plays as a warning, it would be hard to light a cigar and play a harmonica at the same time no?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #2 : February 15, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »

If it was one of Frank's henchman, why then does'nt Harmonica take care of him as he did with the 2 riders. The music is stopped when he lights the match, is'nt it?
It has to be Harmonica.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : February 15, 2005, 08:14:09 PM »

I'd have to pop it in and watch it again, you are probably right.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
ellisc
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #4 : February 18, 2005, 03:49:24 PM »

Jill surely would have recognized the harmonica song (and who was playing it) by reflecting upon events that happened earlier that day at the tavern.  There she witnessed Harmonica playing in the dim light of the rocking lantern.  It was the same tune and would have triggered her memory.

The night scene is an odd one that I've never quite understood.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #5 : February 18, 2005, 06:52:34 PM »

yeah... i always saw it as harmonica letting his presence known to frank's men, sort of a keep away or i'll kill ya. Or at least a scene just to show that harmonica was there to protect his one gateway to frank, even if there were none of franks men present.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #6 : March 20, 2005, 08:29:55 AM »

Does anyone else have a take on this enigma?

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

« #7 : March 21, 2005, 09:18:27 AM »

This is probably the one and only part of the film i don't truly understand. My only opinion is that Harmonica wanted to talk to Jill, but wanted to see if he wud be safe and when he was shot at, he knew he'd have to wait til the morning. That's the only thought i came up with. I seriously doubt there was anyone else there other than harmonica.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #8 : March 21, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »

To be honest the scene probably says more about Jill than it does about Harmonica - it shows she is wary and not too trusting at this stage in the film, and also that she is independent enough to defend herself.

It's class.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #9 : March 21, 2005, 05:52:45 PM »

I would think the "Harmonica warning Jill about Frank's man" hypothesis does make sense, and initially I thought it was a good idea.  But - where's the body?  Either Jill killed Frank's guy, or Harmonica surely did.  That, and we don't see Frank ordering anyone to check the place out (as is the case in the later attempted hit).

Saturday nights with Groggy
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #10 : March 21, 2005, 06:26:39 PM »

To be honest the scene probably says more about Jill than it does about Harmonica - it shows she is wary and not too trusting at this stage in the film, and also that she is independent enough to defend herself

Yes your right about Jill, but the question is: what does the scene say about Harmonica?

Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #11 : August 10, 2005, 02:26:18 PM »

I was thinking about this recently - Maybe he wanted to see if she was going to be hostile or not if he showed up, so he lit the match and held it out to see if she fires or not.

Beebs

« #12 : August 12, 2005, 07:13:44 AM »

Maybe he was lighting a match and a new born rifle sharp shooter was born that night as our hero defies the odds against evil and effortlessly shoots away the illuminated match out of Man of Harmonica's hand.

rex
Road Apple

« #13 : September 14, 2005, 09:32:46 AM »

Hi folks, new to the board -- long time Leone fan...

Here's my take on Harmonica's night-time serenade of Jill. Remember that he also rather threateningly greets her the next morning out in the barn with the harmonica tune, as he emerges from the shadows. I have no real evidence of this, but I think that at this point in the story, he's not sure whether or not this woman who has come out of nowhere to claim Sweertwater might be a creature of Frank's. Harmonica only plays his tune when he's trying to scope out someone's connection to Frank, right? I think he thinks she might be part of Frank's land-grab. But then, when Frank's men ride in to kill her, he knows she's not part of Frank's crew. So he's playing the harmonica that night to spook her, to warn her, to fulfill his own obsession, to soften her up for a confrontation. Sucks that she nearly blows his head off, but he tries again the next morning. Does that work?

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #14 : October 01, 2005, 03:41:57 PM »

Hi folks, new to the board -- long time Leone fan...

Here's my take on Harmonica's night-time serenade of Jill. Remember that he also rather threateningly greets her the next morning out in the barn with the harmonica tune, as he emerges from the shadows. I have no real evidence of this, but I think that at this point in the story, he's not sure whether or not this woman who has come out of nowhere to claim Sweertwater might be a creature of Frank's. Harmonica only plays his tune when he's trying to scope out someone's connection to Frank, right? I think he thinks she might be part of Frank's land-grab. But then, when Frank's men ride in to kill her, he knows she's not part of Frank's crew. So he's playing the harmonica that night to spook her, to warn her, to fulfill his own obsession, to soften her up for a confrontation. Sucks that she nearly blows his head off, but he tries again the next morning. Does that work?
Could be...could be...

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines