Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:23:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Editing Of Final Scene
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Editing Of Final Scene  (Read 3646 times)
Alias
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:19:05 AM »

You all know the final scene of GBU - where Wallach is left balancing precariously, his neck in the noose, apparently abandoned by Eastwood...

In my opinion (for what it's worth) it would have been better, at this point, not to have cut to a shot of Eastwood aiming his rifle. I think it would have been more suspenseful if we saw Eastwood riding away, then Wallach dangling, struggling, about to fall ...

... And THEN a bullet comes out of nowhere and slices through the rope, saving Wallach at the last possible moment ...

... And only THEN do we cut to Eastwood, lowering his rifle.

Isn't it really necessary to show Eastwood taking aim?  On one occasion earlier on in the film, it took him two bullets to cut through the rope, but  it's pretty clear by the end that he's not going to leave Tuco to choke (even if, humiliatingly, he winds up missing again and again, uses up all his ammo and has to ride quickly back and cut Tuco down...)  Smiley

Just wondered whether anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:33:52 AM »

You all know the final scene of GBU - where Wallach is left balancing precariously, his neck in the noose, apparently abandoned by Eastwood...

In my opinion (for what it's worth) it would have been better, at this point, not to have cut to a shot of Eastwood aiming his rifle. I think it would have been more suspenseful if we saw Eastwood riding away, then Wallach dangling, struggling, about to fall ...

... And THEN a bullet comes out of nowhere and slices through the rope, saving Wallach at the last possible moment ...

Isn't it really necessary to show Eastwood taking aim?  On one occasion earlier on in the film, it took him two bullets to cut through the rope, but  it's pretty clear by the end that he's not going to leave Tuco to choke (even if, humiliatingly, he winds up missing again and again, uses up all his ammo and has to ride quickly back and cut Tuco down...)  Smiley

Yeah!.....Glad Sergio directed it! Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

Blondie raises and aims his rifle, and Tuco sees him but doesn't know if Blondie is going to shoot him (to put him out of his misery, a mercy death) or shoot the rope; my guess is that Tuco thinks Blondie is going to shoot him.  that's why Sergio shows Blondie aiming his rifle.  But the suggestion from Simon is cute, and would've worked as well.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 03:38:49 PM »

Blondie raises and aims his rifle, and Tuco sees him but doesn't know if Blondie is going to shoot him (to put him out of his misery, a mercy death) or shoot the rope; my guess is that Tuco thinks Blondie is going to shoot him.  that's why Sergio shows Blondie aiming his rifle.  But the suggestion from Simon is cute, and would've worked as well.

Come on Cusser for gods sake....CUTE!!!!!  CUTE?   whats all that about?

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 04:54:09 PM »

What's wrong with #*%@$*&%$#@  ^$%#$$&& ##$$&%*@#%# cute, #$%$*(&%#$%^ Huh

They don't call me the Cusser for nothing.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 03:07:58 PM »

What's wrong with #*%@$*&%$#@  ^$%#$$&& ##$$&%*@#%# cute, #$%$*(&%#$%^ Huh

They don't call me the Cusser for nothing.

WOW MAN ...I ONLY ASKED!!!!

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 10:54:50 AM »

When I first saw it as a kid I thought Blondie was going to kill Tuco, not cut the rope.   The movie was so perfectly thought through that I would assume that was SL's intent.  Just one last bravura touch of drama.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:18:17 PM »

If SL had done it as Simon suggested it would still have been good and we wouldn't have known any different.  When I saw the film as a kid for the first time (about 10 or 11) I thought it was a shame that they couldn't be mates now they had the money.  You know, shake hands and ride off together.  I know better now.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Bill Carson
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 03:48:42 PM »

what on Earth are you talking about?

Tim
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 09:30:52 PM »

I agree with what G. Sibley said.  Look at Tuco's face when Blondie reappears on the hill aiming a rifle.  It looks like Tuco thought Blondie was going to put him out of his misery.  Watch his eyes.

KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 10:51:57 PM »

if you notice the drum beat  playing as blondie rides off on moroconi's score ceases and desists immediately before blondie aims his henry rifle.  consider,  all those coins at tuco's feet.   blondie could hade a change of heart like the time tuco owed him for starting the rope shooting scam, in the first place. that bit of intellectual property ownd by blondie could cost tuco  half his share but certianly not tuco's life. blondie must cover his ass also aginst tuco who threatened to shoot him 30 times.
blondie, being blondie does the right thing, just like old times. eloquent cussing, cusser. it's nice to know a man, these days, who sees the job through.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:42:48 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM