Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 08:48:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  John Wayne
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Wayne  (Read 20100 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »

Let me put it to you this way:

I've read on this board that Sergio Leone liked High Noon and that the film influenced him.

If it's good enough for Sergio Leone, it's good enough for me.

Further, if Sergio Leone had met with John Wayne and talked about doing a film together, I'll bet their minds would have met, because they were both astute men and artists, and that's a film I would drive through red lights to see.

Richard

yeah, High Noon was definitely a big influence on Leone, and I think Leone was the greatest filmmaker ever and nobody else is even close. but that doesn't mean I have to like High Noon  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Interestingly the local FYE had the John Wayne-John Ford box set on sale for $19.99 (vs. a list price of $59.99). Shocked Something to keep an eye out for.

too bad your birthday just passed  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »

Nobody says you have to like High Noon.
Go ahead and dislike it if you want to.
I just won't be told it's a bad film or a bad western when I know better.

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »

I don't care for the content in High Noon, which surely is there. For me it is basically a typical western story done with a lot of style and bravura. What I don't like that much is that some of the dialogues and confrontations between Coper and his former friends are a bit artificial. Here the message takes over, and these are the scenes Zinneman could have learned from Hawks. But Rio Bravo is also not without flaws.

Well, I like both films very much.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »

Nobody's saying anything you ought to be defensive about Dick. Apparently you just have a hard time accepting that other people have different opinions from you.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »

Ouch

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:22 AM »

At 8:00 PM EST on Monday, April 21, 2014, TCM will begin showing John Wayne movies.... and it will continue showing nothing but John Wayne movies until 10:15 AM Saturday morning.... 110 hours and 15 minutes of the Duke; schedule here http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2014-04-21

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:18:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »

I saw the short about Gouldings Lodge and the Monument Valley area shown between Stagecoach and Liberty Valance (which I didn't watch, but have seen numerous times, including Liberty Valance as first run).  As I've been to that part of Monument Valley (near the arch from Once-West) and to Moab, I have stopped at Gouldings; they have a souvenir shop, none of the books even mention the Leone film in their lists of MV locations in films.

While the scenery there is classic, and nice, it would be extremely tough to eke out a living there: very barren, like it looks. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »

I saw the short about Gouldings Lodge and the Monument Valley area shown between Stagecoach and Liberty Valance (which I didn't watch, but have seen numerous times, including Liberty Valance as first run).  As I've been to that part of Monument Valley (near the arch from Once-West) and to Moab, I have stopped at Gouldings; they have a souvenir shop, none of the books even mention the Leone film in their lists of MV locations in films.

While the scenery there is classic, and nice, it would be extremely tough to eke out a living there: very barren, like it looks. 

I didn't know about that piece, it's a shame, I would have recorded it and watched it. If you can find it on YouTube, I'd be obliged  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »

The TCM John Wayne marathon is now showing How the West Was Won. At 8 PM tonite, it will turn away from the Westerns for 24 hours, and show nothing but Wayne's war movies until 8 PM tomorrow. I've never seen any of Wayne's war movies yet other than The Green Berets - but I can't record everything, so I have my DVR set to to record They Were Expendable and Flying Leathernecks cuz I know those are famous ones.
 If anyone can recommend any other good ones from the following list, I'd appreciate it:
Back to Bataan
Operation Pacific
Fighting Seabees
Reunion in France
Flying Tigers
The Sea Chase
Cast a Giant Shadow
Blood Alley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »

I saw Flying Tigers & Back to Bataan ages ago, they were OK.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »

The TCM John Wayne marathon is now showing How the West Was Won. At 8 PM tonite, it will turn away from the Westerns for 24 hours, and show nothing but Wayne's war movies until 8 PM tomorrow. I've never seen any of Wayne's war movies yet other than The Green Berets - but I can't record everything, so I have my DVR set to to record They Were Expendable and Flying Leathernecks cuz I know those are famous ones.
 If anyone can recommend any other good ones from the following list, I'd appreciate it:
Back to Bataan
Operation Pacific
Fighting Seabees
Reunion in France
Flying Tigers
The Sea Chase
Cast a Giant Shadow
Blood Alley

Well, Operation Pacific is mediocre. Back to Bataan is watchable. Cast a Giant Shadow is boring. The Sea Chase is terrible. Haven't seen the rest.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »

Well, Operation Pacific is mediocre. Back to Bataan is watchable. Cast a Giant Shadow is boring. The Sea Chase is terrible. Haven't seen the rest.

Thanks. In other words, you're saying it was a good idea that I only set my DVR to record Flying Leathernecks and They Were Expendable  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »

Even with the turkeys in this set, this is a great deal: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14358

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

The TCM John Wayne marathon is now showing How the West Was Won.

I think Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef both have bigger parts in this than does Wayne.

I saw this on first release in Cinerama in downtown Pittsburgh.  We may have bought the little souvenir book, but that was gone decades ago.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM