Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:38:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Country (1958)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Country (1958)  (Read 7725 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »

Has anyone seen the blu ray? The Region A or the German region-free?

So I'm thinking I gotta see this movie again, and go to DVD Beaver's page, http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews9/the-big-country.htm

which I find myself doing less and less these days. Beaver is starting to really fucking annoy me: so I guess his blu ray comparison must have been done before the Region A was widely released cuz he says that since he couldn't get ahold of that Region A blu ray, he was just gonna compare the dvd with the German region-fre blu ray, and assume that the quality of both blu rays are the same. Well, why the fuck would he assume that? Now it;s at least a year later and it's clear he won't even bother to take a loom at the Region A blu ray 9which btw is available on Amazon for like 8 bucks new).

And it reminds me of how he did the same exact shit with GBU http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_.htm

he just assumes that the French blu ray will be the same as the Region A blu ray, and he never bothers to follow up -- even to confirm his earlier suspicions! come on, man. he wants to be the fucking go-to place for this shit, he has to do a better job than that.

This is the final straw. I am fucking done with that idiot. I may use his page just for dumb clerical stuff like finding what the bonus features are on a disc, but that's all.

And notice how, once he decides the blu ray is awesome (and indeed, the image looks far better than on the dvd), he virtually disregards the isue of horizontally-stretched image. he basically makes a joke out of it, like, o well, an artifact of Cinemascope or whatever.

of course, I am not saying that the slight horizontal stretching should make him recommend the dvd over the blu ray, but why the fuck does he just disgregard it completely with a dumb joke? if it's stretched, it should be a big deal. Maybe its better than the dvd being cropped on the sides, but still. he is a real pain in the ass.

in general, I'm not so convinced he ain't being paid off by the companies to recommend everything. I don't give a shit cuz I don't buy discs, I rent them off Netflix. My only problem (and why I got here in the first place) is Netflix has very few blu ray discs. so i may buy some rather than watch the dvd and wait forever for Netflix to get them (eg. The Big Country, The Horse Soldiers, Fort Apache).

So, what I am basically trying to say is A) Fuck Beaver (go make all the silly jokes you want)  and B) has anyone seen the blu ray, and which one? It would be really funny (and pathetic) if it turns out that there is actually a wide disparity between the varius blu ray versions  Grin

and btw, wasn't The Big Country a reasonably popular movie? for a blu ray disc of a popular Western, why are there so few bonus features?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

Yeah, the issue of vertical stretching has never been satisfactorily addressed, which is why I've never purchased that particular blu-ray.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »

So I have a general question about CinemaScope, unrelated to The Big Country: I've recently watched some CinemaScope movies, and, am I imagining it, or does CinemaScope sometimes cause horizontal stretching? I'm not certain, but in several CinemaScope movies I've seen, I get the feeling some of the faces look a little fatter (and possibly also shorter?)  than they should be - that's called "horizontal stretching," right? Anyone else notice this with CinemaScope?

I was watching several CinemaScope movies recently, and thought something was different about the faces, but couldn't put my finger on it, until I remembered this discussion we had about The Big Country, and how Beaver says, "As Martin (in email) points out the Blu-ray is slightly horizontally stretched ('Cinemascope mumps'?)"

So, is this really a general problem, that CinemaScope often horizontally stretches the picture?

(And btw, RE: The Big Country, Beaver says that the image is only horizontally stretched on the BRD - and indeed, you can see on the screencaps that the faces are fatter on the BRD than on the DVD. However, since both discs are of the same movie it's a CinemaScope film regardless of whether you watch it on DVD or BRD why should it be stretched on one but not the other, if the stretching is caused by a CinemaScope issue? [Beaver says the DVD is zoomed in to 2.32:1 for some reason, he never lists the aspect ratio of any BRD's, but I presume the BRD is 2.35:1 . Does the zooming/aspect ratio difference have anything to do with the stretching issue?])

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:02:05 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

I just watched another CinemaScope movie: HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON (1957), (on TCM),and no doubt, the faces are a little fatter than in non-Scope movies. It's nothing awful, I only notice it cuz I have seen these actors in so many non-Scope movies, I guess it's just something you live with when watching a movie in 'Scope. So, assuming this is the same issue as in THE BIG COUNTRY's BRD, then DJ, if you are not gonna buy that BRD for that reason, you may as well not buy any BRD's (or dvd's?) of 'Scope movies, if so many have this issue. It's just an issue you gotta live with for 'Scope movies and that's that. I own THE BIG COUNTRY BRD but haven't checked it out yet; when I do, I let y'all know what it's like, and whether it is worse than other 'Scope movies.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:55:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »

I don't like Ives, for his voice mainly (and he was a singer, at that). I don't think he's a great actor too. I also think he cannot face up to Connors credibly. And Connors showing himself blatantly as a coward doesn't persuade me. The rest is very good, though. This is a movie to be watched on a big screen. The fistfight is the best scene of the movie. The score might have been good, but as of now I can't remember a single note. Carrol Baker is not as beautiful as elsewhere and Jean Simmons was beautiful, ten years before. 8\10 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:26 AM »

Ives shows his range in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof he's got a great monologue about his father while in the basement with Brick. His best Western is Day Of The Outlaw where he just plays crazy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »

yeah, Carroll Baker is definitely a hotter babe than Jean Simmons, though I assume that Simmons must have been the bigger star (at this point in their careers, at least) cuz she got the lead role.
The fistfight actually annoyed the hell outta me, for me it may have been the worst scene of the movie.

I saw this once, quite a while ago, since then I got the BRD but haven't watched it yet, I'll do so eventually.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »

yeah, Carroll Baker is definitely a hotter babe than Jean Simmons,

Nah.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »

The fistfight actually annoyed the hell outta me, for me it may have been the worst scene of the movie.

Ok, why?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 05:03:47 AM »

can I explain why a scene wasn't interesting? like proving a negative?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 06:10:56 AM »

Yes, there are always reasons.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 06:49:40 AM »

I don't know what to say. I simply didn't enjoy it, unlike almost the entire rest of the movie

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 02:54:47 AM »

It "annoyed the hell outta" you, and you have no idea why?

The fistfight was unusual in many respects for a 50 western. It did not end with the hero's victory, and it was shown mostly (or was it completely?) form the distant, and the spectacle of this fistfight was that it did not show it as a spectacle, but as an exhausting stupidity.

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

I'm not much of a fan of classic hollywood epic westerns (movies like Cimarron), so I avoided this for quite a while. Big mistake. I should have had more faith in Wyler. This movie is perfectly paced, one of the better paced epic classic hollywood movies I've seen. Everything works here for the most part. The score is solid. My only knocks are a few awkward edits and too much of reliance on long shots during action scenes. The fist fights were also a little too long. The romance(s) never detract from the movie and never causes the film to lose momentum.

I'm not big on ratings, but I'd definitely give this an 8.5-9.

Just saw this. I agree with this accessment.  It was a EPIC, that DELIVERED.  I loved this movie. The plot, everything.  My quick review:

1. Cinematography.  Wide, swooping, graceful.  I loved how the opening scene started in black and white, then morphed into color.

2. Plot. Layers of morality. I loved it. One of the best morality tales i've seen.  It wasn't campy either.

3. Characters.  Burl Ives, Peck, heck, Heston, Alfonso Bedoya,  Bickford, Simmons, they all delivered excellent performances.  It was very interesting to see Connors play a bad guy.

4. Musical Score.  In Epic moves, a score can get campy, but this one, from the opening, all the way thru, was fantastic.

Overall. Pleasantly surprised at this movie. To be a epic, it delivered without being pretentious.  When a movie is long, but still holds your interest, you know it was good.  I rate this 8/10 and a must get on Blu Ray...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:55:46 PM by Moorman » Logged

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »

I don't like Ives, for his voice mainly (and he was a singer, at that). I don't think he's a great actor too. I also think he cannot face up to Connors credibly. And Connors showing himself blatantly as a coward doesn't persuade me. The rest is very good, though. This is a movie to be watched on a big screen. The fistfight is the best scene of the movie. The score might have been good, but as of now I can't remember a single note. Carrol Baker is not as beautiful as elsewhere and Jean Simmons was beautiful, ten years before. 8\10 

I disagree. Burl Ives did a fantastic job in this movie.  Very believable and he won a award for this movie...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM