Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:11:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Country (1958)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Country (1958)  (Read 8036 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2005, 03:10:24 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051411/

Terrific western "THE BIG COUNTRY" gets a rare showing on ITV this Sunday afternoon. Will have volume up full blast to soak in that wonderful theme music.....oh, and that classic fist fight shot in long distance. Yup, jes' what Sunday's was made fer'!  Wink

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:22:23 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »

It was just on here last Saturday too, on Turner Classic Movies, they've been showing oscar winners in the lead up to the Academy Awards, not a bad flic, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, Gergory Peck as the "sea captain dude", Jeam Simmons, Carrol Baker, and my fave Burl Ives.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

It was just on here last Saturday too, on Turner Classic Movies, they've been showing oscar winners in the lead up to the Academy Awards, not a bad flic, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, Gergory Peck as the "sea captain dude", Jeam Simmons, Carrol Baker, and my fave Burl Ives.
c/j. anyone. ever see a film starring burl Ives called
"wind accross the everglades" ? circa 1958. burl plays "cottenmouth", leader of a huge gang. great scene when the guy assigned to arrest cottenmouth winds up joining up with his gang.
nick ray directed.
burl might have made a good mr. morton.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052395/

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:33:46 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:24:56 AM »

No don't remember the "Wing Across the Everglades" flic.

For a bunch of years I only associated Burl Ives with two rolls that of the voice of "Frosty" in "Frosty the Snowman", lol, and one of his greats the role of "Big Daddy" in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Yes he would have probably made a great Mr. Morton.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »

TBC is the earlier and much softer version of FFOD (or a remake of ''Yojimbo'', if you like). Apart from being overlong, I can't say it's bad all the way. It was written and directed correctly, but without great thrills or drastic turnarounds. One of the initial scenes, with the drunk Hannassey bros. (on horses) harassing James McKay and Patricia Terrill (on a carriage), while in fast movement, is outstanding, but besides that no virtuosity here from William Wyler. The romance element is superfluous and not of my liking (the swoops of predictable music don't help it either). All the actors did a decent job, but Burl Ives is absolutely magnificent.

6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »

I'm not much of a fan of classic hollywood epic westerns (movies like Cimarron), so I avoided this for quite a while. Big mistake. I should have had more faith in Wyler. This movie is perfectly paced, one of the better paced epic classic hollywood movies I've seen. Everything works here for the most part. The score is solid. My only knocks are a few awkward edits and too much of reliance on long shots during action scenes. The fist fights were also a little too long. The romance(s) never detract from the movie and never causes the film to lose momentum.

I'm not big on ratings, but I'd definitely give this an 8.5-9.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »

The Big Country - 8/10 - William Wyler + Western = win. Yes, it's long and very talky by genre standards, but Wyler is the right director for that sort of material. And besides a pretty good story, there's a lot to keep one's interest: beautiful location shooting, excellent score, brilliant set-pieces (Heston and Peck's epic slugfest, the duel), and one hell of a cast - Heston and Peck have never been better, Burl Ives steals his every scene, Chuck Connors as a very nasty bad guy, Jean Simmons at her most luminous. The climax was a bit disappointing though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »

just saw the movie on TCM, for the first time (TCM has been playing a bunch of Gregory Peck movies today).

This is the best Western I have seen in a very long time. highly recommended. The landscapes are beautiful, as are the sets (the Terrill house is particularly gorgeous). The acting is terrific all around. And although I usually HATE the love interest stories in Westerns, it worked well in this movie, which had a very nice touch of cynicism about that aspect  Smiley

Just about everything I can ask for in a Western. The only parts I didn't like was the overtly long fistfight; and the fact that Peck has to "prove something to himself"; I thought that was a bit childish. Otherwise, this is a wonderful film.

9/10

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:06:12 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »

You forgot to mention the SCORE, probably one of the Best for an AW, on par with Mag Seven in that respect.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »

but I never saw the score  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19:09 AM »

Well directed western with a strong story and with great acting, especially from Heston. Maybe a bit overblown. 8/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 02:52:09 AM »

but I never saw the score  Wink

sorry I didn't know you was deef  Cool

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:19:30 AM »

oh haha I was confused....   I thought you were talking about a movie title cuz you put the words in bold caps  Grin Grin Grin Grin

(actually, I have seen a film called The Score with Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, and Marlon Brando [in his final performance]; it is a terrific movie; but I knew you weren't referring to that one, cuz it's not a Western... I thought there must have been some other Western with that name  Wink)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:09:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

As I understand it, this is currently a Walmart exclusive that becomes available everywhere on Nov. 1. But look at these screen caps. Doesn't the image look horizontally stretched?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Big-Country-Blu-ray/21691/#Screenshots

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

Just that first closeup of Peck the rest look good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM