Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:53:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bobby D as Noodles
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bobby D as Noodles  (Read 3588 times)
4stars
« on: February 18, 2005, 07:30:32 PM »

Who here thinks this is De Niro's best performance ever?  (For everyone who thinks this was not his best performance, then what was his best?)  I honestly can't tell.  De Niro is brilliant as Noodles, but at the same time, he's playing a character who is overall emotionless.   Did he deserve an Oscar nomination for this role?  I think he should have received one.  (Unfortunately he got screwed due to the edited version.)  Please give me your opinions....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »

This is a tough call. I really like De Niro as Rupert Pupkin in The King of Comedy, but maybe his Noodles performance is best. I particularly like the way he plays the *older* Noodles. Noodles was never all that bright, but the younger man had a certain drive. The older version doesn't even have that. He's actually quite pathetic, a character who has wasted his life and has nothing to look forward to. He has his memories, but even those are centered around a misunderstanding. Noodles is a loser, but the impressive thing is that De Niro actually *plays* him as one (this is unlike the way he plays characters for Scorcese, where all the losers are also "beautiful" at the same time). It was a star turn never since matched.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »

I agree. I also think his Vito Corleone in The Godfather II is very great, but then again it was Marlon Brando in the first one that made the young Vito more interesting.

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:13:37 PM »

This is a tough call. I really like De Niro as Rupert Pupkin in The King of Comedy, but maybe his Noodles performance is best. I particularly like the way he plays the *older* Noodles. Noodles was never all that bright, but the younger man had a certain drive. The older version doesn't even have that. He's actually quite pathetic, a character who has wasted his life and has nothing to look forward to. He has his memories, but even those are centered around a misunderstanding. Noodles is a loser, but the impressive thing is that De Niro actually *plays* him as one (this is unlike the way he plays characters for Scorcese, where all the losers are also "beautiful" at the same time). It was a star turn never since matched.
I can't see the 'beauty' in Travis Bickle or Jake La Motta... his best performances in my opinion.

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 09:42:38 PM »

I can't see the 'beauty' in Travis Bickle or Jake La Motta... his best performances in my opinion.
There is great beauty in the way Travis blows the baddies away, the way Jake beats on his opponents. Actions that are morally objectionable in life can be made aesthetically appealing on film. This allows the viewer to *identify* with the star, as per Hollywood SOP.

I'm not saying that this never happens in Leone, just that, somewhat uniquely, it doesn't happen with Noodles at the end of OUATIA. In fact, we feel something like pity for the character, an emotion worthy of Sophocles.

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 04:58:59 PM »

There is great beauty in the way Travis blows the baddies away, the way Jake beats on his opponents. Actions that are morally objectionable in life can be made aesthetically appealing on film. This allows the viewer to *identify* with the star, as per Hollywood SOP.

I'm not saying that this never happens in Leone, just that, somewhat uniquely, it doesn't happen with Noodles at the end of OUATIA. In fact, we feel something like pity for the character, an emotion worthy of Sophocles.
So, you pity Noodles, but not Jake or Travis?

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 06:38:46 PM »

There is pity and then there is pity. The one I feel for Noodles is the more profound. Travis and Jake provide me a certain amount of gratification that tempers my pity for them.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM