Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:03:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Quick and the Dead (1995)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Quick and the Dead (1995)  (Read 22815 times)
Christopher
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2003, 07:26:32 PM »

Thanks. I should've figured they'd be a thread about the movie somewhere.

Christopher
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2003, 07:41:04 PM »

Here was my original post about this movie from up in the "Other Films" forum of the board.
Anybody seen this one?

I saw it several years ago, and last night I watched a few minutes of it on TV. It's worse than I remember it to be.

I couldn't help but think, "How did they get all those big stars to be in such a horrible movie?"

Is the movie supposed to be taken as a serious attempt as a (Spaghetti) western? Obviously, Leone's work was an influence.
I'm actually a little surprised that some people like the movie. That's cool though, I respect people's opinions.

Of course, I'm much more surprised by this comment:
Quote from Angel Eyes: But give me Quick and the Dead over Tombstone or Unforgiven any day.

Shocked
(I happen to think a great deal of Unforgiven. Wink)

I thought the shootout scenes were absolutely ridiculous in Quick and the Dead. Sergio Leone must have rolled over in his grave (oh yeah, that bad) when this movie came out. Made in good fun or not, it's treacherous to sit through five minutes of it.

I like having fun while watching some movies as well. But obviously a movie that makes me mad isn't quite going to have that effect on me.

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2003, 09:03:37 AM »

Of course, I'm much more surprised by this comment:  
 Shocked
(I happen to think a great deal of Unforgiven. Wink)

I thought the shootout scenes were absolutely ridiculous in Quick and the Dead. Sergio Leone must have rolled over in his grave (oh yeah, that bad) when this movie came out. Made in good fun or not, it's treacherous to sit through five minutes of it.

I like having fun while watching some movies as well. But obviously a movie that makes me mad isn't quite going to have that effect on me.

loathe it or love, you have to admire Raimi's (ridiculous but superbly executed) direction,

I've only seen Unforgiven once, I remember it been long, boring and self-indulgent, i tried but  couldn't get any kind of enjoyment out of it. Maybe I should watch it again.

Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2003, 12:28:56 PM »

I hate to be a spoiler, but The Quick and the Dead along with Young Guns (1988) and Posse (1993) im my opinion are the worst westerns ever made. Any time when there is a point of view shot of the camera following the path of a projectile whether it be a bullet, arrow, missle, or a bomb, the director is begging the viewer to forget his terrible plot and be in total "awe" of his special effects.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 08:55:21 PM »

It builds very slowly to the big shootout in Greeley's Saloon,
To quote Clint "Who owns this shit hole!"

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2003, 08:02:17 AM »

Any time when there is a point of view shot of the camera following the path of a projectile whether it be a bullet, arrow, missle, or a bomb, the director is begging the viewer to forget his terrible plot and be in total "awe" of his special effects.

That particular effect is that directors trademark, I'd even be so bold as to say he was the pioneer of it. But I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2003, 02:39:40 PM »

It's of course a personal opinion, and I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes here.  Don't forget that the shootouts in TQATD are very influenced by the particular spaghetti style.  I must agree there are two really bad shootouts (the one where you can see through the hole in one's head and the other where Hackman is making a salto when shot).

It's always a problem discussing about this kind of commercial entertaining films.  When one is about to watch one, one should turn the switch in the head.  I believe every film has to be seen in its own context.  You shouldn't be too critical when watching a film that doesn't take itself seriously, like TQATD.  Again, this is relative and a matter of personal feeling.  I'm not saying that I find TQATD the best film ever, but it always enjoys me to see all the coolest comicbooky characteristics of the western combined in one film.
I hope you get my point, but I wouldn't want to surpress my opinion to anyone.  It's just the way I feel about movies.  But of course, one has to draw the limit (e.g.  Street Fighter is the stupidest thing there is and should be cast in the fire of Mount Doom to never harm anyone again Wink )  

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2003, 04:38:46 AM »

But of course, one has to draw the limit (e.g.  Street Fighter is the stupidest thing there is and should be cast in the fire of Mount Doom to never harm anyone again Wink )  

Bravo Il Buono, well said.

Street Fighter great film (I worked as an extra in it, shame on me).

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2003, 03:25:45 AM »

You're kiddin' me...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2003, 07:56:10 AM »

You're kiddin' me...

No kidding, utter tripe, apert from a very intimate moment with a K.Minogue.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 10:44:53 AM »

Did anyone see this film?  I thought it was a very fun one, I mean the Leone influence was dripping of it...  The film is some kind of a guilty pleasure.

Yeah, I love it.  While some (even in this thread) lament that it borrows shamelessly from a whole series of Italo-Westerns, the movie does so well, which is more than can be said of many rip-offs made during the Euro-boom years.

I only wish we'd get a special edition of the film, since there are some sequences that were cut that I'd like to see, like Bruce Campbell's wedding scene, and the excised Sharon Stone nudity/lovemaking footage.  These things shouldn't be added back in, because the film is just right as it is, but it would be nice to get a look at them.  And we need commentary!  Commentary, I say!

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 02:21:31 PM »

"How did they get all those big stars to be in such a horrible movie?"

whenever there is a big cast of mainly stars the movie tends to lean towards the crappy side.

case in point: Mars attacks(though intentionally crappy, its still crap).

But most of the "stars" of this movie had yet to become stars when this film was released. Russel Crowe was virtually unknown at the time of its release and Dicaprio wasnt well known either(except for b-movies like "Critters").

the two stars at the time were Stone and Hackman.

As for the film itself, I think it is very enjoyable. It is supposed to be a cheesy spaghetti western not really basing itself on  Leone's work. The placement of the camera was very ingenious in this film. If you took the movie seriously, you didnt get it.

it isnt "high art" nor does it pretend to be. Just sit back and enjoy Cool

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 02:25:06 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 01:31:57 AM »

i enjoyed it but i wouldn't rush to see it again.

That could just be cannon fire.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 05:41:35 AM »

it was a little too dopey for me. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »

I haven't commented on this??

Okay:

"The Quick and the Dead" is a very, very silly movie.  It's mildly entertaining but nothing more than that.  I won't say it's an out-and-out bad film, and I appreciate what Raimi was trying to do, but the Leone parodies were way too over-the-top and obvious, and the shootout-after-shootout-after-shootout schematic didn't hold up well for me.  Gene Hackman's good in any thing, Sharon Stone and Leo DiCaprio, not so much. 

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM