Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 01:31:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western movies' future...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Western movies' future...  (Read 5893 times)
Jill McBain
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2003, 09:59:02 AM »

What do you think?
In the future, there will be a new great season for western movies? Or a myth need to die to be a myth?

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 10:41:21 AM »

Maybe, who knows, it has been discussed before on the board and I'll say the same...  I saw a Thai spaghetti western-like extravaganza thing a while ago called 'Tears of the Black Tiger' which was pretty enjoyable and added some kind of oriental spirit to the western.  It uses very bright flashy colors like barbie pink, turquois blue,... it was over the top and it wasn't so good, but it was something else for a change.  So maybe someday, like the Italians did in the sixties, the Thai will bring a new wave of westerns... Wink

Also I saw at a film festival an Australian film, the Tracker, which isn't officially a western (since it is set in Australia) but reminded me like no other film of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

So with a little inspiration and originality I would say there's still some tiny hope for the future of westerns.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 06:12:44 AM »

The Spaghetti Western is dead. It was a product of certain directors, actors, composers coming together in a certain period of history and creating something quite unique in film.
You can't bring that back.

Other Westerns may be made in the future, in Almeria, with new Italian directors, actors etc but it won't be the same. The times have changed, and time is one thing you can't get back.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 05:42:24 AM »

Given the utter crap that's come out recently, Jill - well, I won't go as far as to say the Western is dead (there's always a good film or two to keep it alive somewhat), but it's certainly reeling.

And I do not consider films that are set in contemporary times Westerns, irregardless of their inspiration, plot, characters, or whatever.  

If anyone can name a single great Western (and by great, I mean within striking distance of OUATITW, GBU, "The Wild Bunch", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance" - THAT kind of Western) since "Unforgiven", I'll eat my foot toes first.  

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003, 01:26:40 PM »

Here is another western that takes a different turn, "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer, Robert Mitchum, directed by Jim Jarmusch. Its a bizzare story and worth checking out to see another track that the western might take.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:21:28 AM »

Here is another western that takes a different turn, "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer, Robert Mitchum, directed by Jim Jarmusch. Its a bizzare story and worth checking out to see another track that the western might take.

God help us.

I'm coming to this thread late, but I figured I'd share something a reviewer from The Dallas Morning News wrote about the western:

"The Western may fade from time to time, but there is something too compelling about the story of the West... for it to die."

In large part, the Western has been pummelled into the ground by poor marketing and cynical exploitation.  Contemporary creators must decide what the Western means to them now, and then somehow get that vision past the bean-counters intact, for there to be a genuine revival.

I'm hoping for the best.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 10:23:06 AM »

I certainly plan to make a western, but not until I have matured into my filmmaking years.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »

I certainly plan to make a western, but not until I have matured into my filmmaking years.

Why is that?  If you have a filmic vision, it shouldn't matter how old you are.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:11 AM »

Because I don't want to make a rubbish western, I want to be able to know my way around filmmaking and be much more comfortable in the helm. I've edited a lot of things that have shown me how not to make films. + I'm in prep on my first proffesional short and I know relistically its going to be a long time before I can make a proffesional western. (Of course circumstances may change that the beauty of the film industry). I like working as editor/editor assistant but I desperatly want to direct and am being encouraged by directors and other editors who have seen some of the shorts I have done on a DV. I can't wait to really flex my muscles for this 16mm short.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:48:36 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 04:50:42 PM »

I believe that there is hope for the western. I believe if someone has the determination and love for the westerns in Hollywood, they can bring it back. In the future, the genre shall be resurrected and brought back to style but until then, just go to Hollywood video and rent some classic westerns.

Beebs
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »

Just as long as I get one of the first viewings you have my persmission Grin Double permission if I get to act in it.

Tim
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »

I've seen a lot of westerns that were straight to video release recently at Borders, Best Buy or just about any video store.  I haven't watched any of these, but they look like low-budget movies with some recognizable b-list actors.

Hopefully, somewhere down the road we'll see a rejuvenation of westerns.  For now, we'll have to rely on actors like Tom Selleck or Sam Elliott to keep the western alive.

There is one western though that might bring about a rebirth.  Brad Pitt is starring in a movie about Jesse James and his murder by Bob Ford.  I think its going to come out sometime in '06.  Check over at imdb.com for more information.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 04:03:35 AM »

The Spaghetti Western is dead. It was a product of certain directors, actors, composers coming together in a certain period of history and creating something quite unique in film.
You can't bring that back.

Other Westerns may be made in the future, in Almeria, with new Italian directors, actors etc but it won't be the same. The times have changed, and time is one thing you can't get back.
Shouldn't we at least give original SW director Enzo Castellari and his star collaborater Franco Nero a chance with the SW they have planned in the pipeline and with Ennio Morricone still kicking around,who knows?
Their last SW together  Jonathan of the Bears from 1993 was a pretty good effort!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM »

Just as long as I get one of the first viewings you have my persmission Grin Double permission if I get to act in it.
]

Your not the first person to ask this but thats fine by me  Grin. I'm concentrating more on my noir short for now.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 05:11:04 AM »

I've been wanting to see this Cigar Joe,one reason being the soundtrack by Neil Young-its in b&w isn't it?
Are there any SW influences CJ?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM