Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:03:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man With No Name trilogy vs. Once Upon a Time... trilogy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Do you prefer the Dollar trilogy to Leones 2nd "Once Upon a Time" trilogy or vice versa?
Dollar trilogy
OUAT  trilogy

Author Topic: Man With No Name trilogy vs. Once Upon a Time... trilogy  (Read 12230 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 04:47:53 AM »

I see what you are saying but for me Clints movies have the opposite effect, I think Clint's films are too sparce, most of the sets looked cheap. He does shoot a quicker paced film I'll say that. But GBU is fairly long in its extended English language version and because of its humorous plot it moves along quite nicely. OUTITW is very stylistic and its style is more than the sum of its parts (scenes embued with Leon's touch from various AW's).

Clint took the MWNN character and basically recycled him in various guises through most of his westerns. He never had a very strong villan (Van Cleef, Volonte), he never had an equal (Van Cleef), he never had a strong actor playing a "buddy" (Wallach). I've said this before with Leone films you always leave the table feeling like you've had a full meal.   

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Christopher
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 07:54:57 AM »

He does shoot a quicker paced film I'll say that.
Somehow Eastwood and "fast paced" doesn't really go together for me. Perhaps faster paced than some of Leone's stuff. Maybe. I still haven't seen Once Upon a Time in America. I would say the Leone films are well paced, just like I'd say Eastwood's movies are well paced.

I recently saw Duck You Sucker twice, just a few days apart, and I'd say the movie went at a good pace. It doesn't really feel as long as it is.

Having not seen OUATA, I can't answer this question. Once I have seen it, I'd still have to wait until I'd seen these movies some more. I've seen the Dollars movies mutiple times.

Beebs
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 08:46:19 PM »

I don't know. I agree with Chris on Eastwood and Fast pace not going together; the only thing fast about him is his draw and thinking. the way he's never in a hurry and turns his head slowly then moves his eyes in the direction his head is pointed. Sits down slowly, gets up slowly. drinks slowly you the idea.

KERMIT
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:48 PM »

what makes leone's films so enjoyable w/ repeated vieweing ?  ennio morricone's music ? the sudden departure from the old formula into the realm of SWs ?

the conversation between mr. morton & frank. "sometimes these things happen in business".
the way frank's maner changes when sitting behind morton's desk. when sadhill is discovered from tuco's veiewpoint. clint, calmly walking down a street dodging bullets and returning fire like surgeon, with a business is business look he and tuco share.... col. mortimer stepping on the man w/ no name's boot ? QUATITW just gets better w/ each viewing. why ? music ? actione ?
camerawork ? the blend of all the above under a director w/ a vision beyond description up untill that time totaly unherd of.

if this happens w/ anybody else on the board share a favorite scene that enhances the next sequence of repeated viewing.  Grin 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 09:06:28 PM by Kermit » Logged
Beebs
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »

The music is right but you need to see the scene with it. The Trio in GBU and the final duel with Colonel Mortimer at the end of FFDM really do it for me. Same with the duel in OUTW.

The way Colonel Mortimer's face goes loose and tears well up in his eyes, the flashing images in The Trio in beat with the music. That's what makes SWs SWs

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 04:49:10 PM »

I get more enjoyment out of watching The Dollars trilogy, but both Once Upon A Time films have so much more heart to them, and in the end, are better made films anyways in terms of acting and direction.

America > TGTBTU > West > FFDM > FOD

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:54:53 PM by rrpower » Logged
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »

I voted for the Once Upon a Time Trilogy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »

Why isn't this a choice between the 3 Dollars films and the 3 Once Upon a Time films?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »

Why isn't this a choice between the 3 Dollars films and the 3 Once Upon a Time films?

I don't think rrpower saw DYS yet.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 05:54:37 PM »

DYS is considered a "Once Upon A Time" film? I never knew that. I'll have to rename the title now.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

DYS is considered a "Once Upon A Time" film? I never knew that. I'll have to rename the title now.

Yeah.

Leone's original title for the film was Once Upon a Time...The Revolution.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »

To make it more interesting...

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 12:01:55 AM »

Not technically, because technically their not REALLY  a trilogy in the strictest sense. But for the sake of arguement put DYS up there.

And since it has been placed... my vote goes to it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
CoDHarmonica
Road Apple

you got a smoke?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »

Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my all time favourite films therefore the Once Upon A Time trilogy wins my vote, but the Dollars trilogy gets more viewing time. 

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:21 AM »

I think if you judge them as trilogies, the dollars trilogy is definitely better, even though OUATITW is the greatest single film out of them. So, from the best to the least good, my list is as follows.

OUATITW > GBU > FAFDM > FOD > DYS > OUATIA

And yes, DYS should be in the list, because it, too, belongs to that loose sort-of-a trilogy with OUATITW and OUATIA. DYS was originally named "Once Upon A Time The Revolution".

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM