Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:46:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tuco or Juan
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuco or Juan  (Read 19179 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:54:45 AM »

Which character did you like the most, Tuco or Juan?
I think they're very much alike and like em' both, but what do you think Huh

Bill Carson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »

Cool hola and welcome Dominick!  I've mentioned elsewhere that I've only ever seen DUCK YOU SUCKER / FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE once before (can't wait for the dvd!) but what I do remember is that Rod Steiger just seems to be doing an over-the-top impersonation of Wallach's Tuco. and he uses the 'F-word' a lot. no competition Tuco is THE MAN.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:44:14 PM »

yeah, any die-hard DYS fans under the illusion that Rod Steiger's Juan is even a patch on Eli Wallach's Tuco is misled. i dont think there are many that would argue it. dont get me wrong, steiger may be a great actor, but in that film he just got the accent and mood all wrong.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:55:03 PM »

I agree in English language version, Wallach nails a peon/bandit character, so does Tomas Milian who could have done the part too in the English dub.

That said now perhaps in other language versions Steiger's dubber makes a difference, so we are dealing with not the same film then in that respect.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 01:01:10 PM »

I agree in English language version, Wallach nails a peon/bandit character, so does Tomas Milian who could have done the part too in the English dub.

That said now perhaps in other language versions Steiger's dubber makes a difference, so we are dealing with not the same film then in that respect.

Thomas Milian playing Juan...  interesting.

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:10:36 AM »

Hey don't get me wrong, i love wallach's tuco, but Rod steiger is facinating in his portrayel of Juan. I dont think hes over the top, i think he's perfect. Besides he's a great actor!!!! The scene where he finds his dead family is just great acting, you guys can't argue with on that one Smiley

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 03:47:32 PM »

I agree Juan's grieving scene is a touching moment. As for the comparison:I find the setting and the mood of two movies are so different that each actor works well in their own roles.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 06:45:37 AM »

wallach was offered the part of Juan... but the guys from United Artists are very strange, and they change their mind pretty often.
I think Eli would have been great. But maybe their is something in Rod's eyes that is not in Wallach's ones... something very moving... a certain kind of compation or something like that. I don't know.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 12:35:20 PM »

I think that Tuco and Juan, are the same character. The Juan character has just been taken a step further. He doesn't just think about money, but family! Tuco on the other hand, only goes after the money. Although he visits his brother, and his eyes are filled with tears when he learns about his parent death, the visit of the mission is not intentional

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 01:18:53 PM »

Actually yes it was. Remember, he asked the Confederate soldier where the mission was and then he asked the priest at the hospital if Pablo Ramirez was there.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 12:45:57 AM »

Tuco and Juan are very different and can't really be compared; they are both perfect in their own ways, but those ways are determined by the kinds of movies they inhabit. Tuco is a character who doesn't change, he is amazingly consistent from beginning to end. As viewers we prize the fact of his unchangeability. But Juan does change, as he must, in the movie he operates within. The two are exactly as they should be for their respective films....

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 01:51:48 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Egdor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 03:13:29 AM »

Nothing at all wrong with Steigerís performance except for his slightly too loose interpretation of a Mexican accent. It doesnít get in the way except once or twice, though, and sometimes it even adds to the movie because itís quite funny.

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 01:25:11 PM »

Well they're not different, they're just set in two different situations. Steiger got afamily, Tuco don't

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 05:54:06 PM »

Hey, pal, character is destiny.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »

Wallach and Steiger are both dubbed by the same actor (Carlo Romano, Jerry Lewis' dubber) in the italian releases.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM