Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:55:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best morricone score?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best morricone score?  (Read 9986 times)
Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »

yeah i think Deborah's Theme is the greatest Morricone piece. I mean it is just amazing. I always feel like watching the whole movie when i hear it.  Roll Eyes

I think for the entire movie score OUATIW is better though.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
Beebs
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 07:47:15 PM »

I'm going to break the OUATITW theme and say I esp. like the GBU soundtrack i bought. Whenever I hear the Trio I feel like watching that scene like Mr. Chocho stated above

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

I'm with smoker... gui la testa is the best... between the theme and the stuff played during the bance de mesa verde break in... it's really fantastic... although OUATIW is a very very very close second.

although America may very well be my favorite movie of all time(newly discovered as such), it's probably my least favorite of the morricone/leone scores, still amazing, but the rest are just sooooo great.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 05:16:57 PM »

Gui la testa, definitely. Every single note. Somebody should start a poll on this topic.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Egdor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »

Its a tough choice, but Id have to say Giu la testa as well.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 08:17:16 AM »

You know what, I don't know what this deborah's theme is about, though I have seen OUTIA twice (and never liked it). As the dvd is sold cheaply over here, I'll buy me a copy on sunday.

I would like to point out to some little, if any, known Morricone's artifacts from the 60's:
1) "Metti una sera a cena" main theme (a haunting bossanova).
2) Mina's (best female singer in the world, in mine and M.'s opinion) "Se telefonando", a hit from 1966
3) His arrangements of neapolitan song for Miranda Martino (forget about the ones written for Mario Lanza five years before). That double cd shouldn't be missing from the collection of every Morricone's fan.

Actually, as an arranger ar RCA Rome in the 60's Morricone's output is absolutely worthy of his best cinematographic scoring, in my opinion. most of the pop songs he arranged dutring that time are  evergreens, in Italy.

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »

First of all, WELCOME!!!

I must congratulate U. Deborahs theme is perhaps the best single piece of music ever written to a movie, perhaps the best piece of music ever written!?

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2005, 04:41:57 AM »

Actually, casulties of war is another great morricone score, i love it

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 03:18:08 PM »

i don't know what i did to earn the congratulations, anyway i bought me OUATIA and saw the first dvd yesterday. I presume deborah's theme is that slow waltz heard the first time played on a honky-tonk piano. It's a good piece, but is the kind other composers (for example, michel legrand) could compose too.  on the contrary, no other composer that i know could have ever composed GBU main theme, . or extasy of goldor the music for other Leone's westerns (and other SW). Much of the morricone's appeal, at least for me, lies in his absolute mastery of orchestration, i.e. his use of the right instruments for his themes. but of course he must have the right tune to do that. i think that the traditional arrangements he made for what he composed from the mid '70's onward (though i cannot be 100% sure about it, as i didn't follow closely his career after that period)  are a sign that his best vein had run his course.   

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 09:42:39 PM »

My favorite Morricone score is Giu La Testa.

Followed very closely by OUATITW.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 06:29:52 AM »

I now think OUATIA is Morricone's best score.  Even if the tunes lack variation (in emotion anyway), you really feel the movie when you listen to the soundtrack - it catches the sad and nostalgic air of the film perfectly.  I love OUATITW, GBU, and most of Morricone's other scores too, but this one just stands out.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »

OUATIA is a damn fine soundtrack. I agree, it definitely captures the melancholy mood of the film.

But I still prefer Giu La Testa and OUATITW over OUATIA.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 01:23:13 AM »

Best score? Hardly. Apart from the main theme there is little to be desired.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 07:12:05 AM »

OUATIA is a damn fine soundtrack. I agree, it definitely captures the melancholy mood of the film.

But I still prefer Giu La Testa and OUATITW over OUATIA.

The score for DYS is one of the more interesting-in-a-good-way scores I've ever heard.  I love the "Main Title", it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever, and "March of the Beggars" is hysterical.  So I think it's a great score, but I don't think as highly of it as the "Once Upon a Times" or GBU.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 02:25:32 PM »

The score for DYS is one of the more interesting-in-a-good-way scores I've ever heard. I love the "Main Title", it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever, and "March of the Beggars" is hysterical.

I love every song in the DYS soundtrack except the song titled "Amore." Every other song is pure gold, especially the main theme.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM