Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 10, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283]
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3192507 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19230 : August 08, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

We just disagree philosophically. I don't think there's more room for originality by making arthouse movies or making movies for arthouse audiences as opposed to genre stuff. I'm of the belief that nothing is really original, and a genre director can just as easily have a personal or unique style as any other director. To me, the best contemporary movies can really only be fresh and/or reinvigorating, and nothing else, with maybe a Tommy Wiseau type as a rare exception.

I don?t remember: have you seen the films of S. Craig Zahler?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19231 : Yesterday at 01:03:27 AM »

We just disagree philosophically. I don't think there's more room for originality by making arthouse movies or making movies for arthouse audiences as opposed to genre stuff. I'm of the belief that nothing is really original, and a genre director can just as easily have a personal or unique style as any other director.

Yes, absolutely ...

... and "arthouse" is such an idiotic term, too bad it has to say something though ...

And as you mentioned Hossein's Cemetery without Crosses, everybody worth being here should have watched that one long ago.

« : Yesterday at 01:06:08 AM stanton »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19232 : Yesterday at 08:16:14 AM »

We just disagree philosophically. I don't think there's more room for originality by making arthouse movies or making movies for arthouse audiences as opposed to genre stuff. I'm of the belief that nothing is really original, and a genre director can just as easily have a personal or unique style as any other director.

We don't disagree there (I actually don't think any of your points are too off base with what I feel - I disagree with them personally but understand what you're saying). My only point against that in regards to PTA is ... we have PTA doing arthouse movies like nobody else is, and I'm more interested in seeing him specifically push forward there than doing genre films. Great genre directors are much harder to come by in 2020, though, which is too bad.

... and "arthouse" is such an idiotic term, too bad it has to say something though ...
It's only idiotic when undefined... I use "arthouse" to simply define movies that if I showed my parents, or some friends, or some guy in accounting - that they would likely be bored to fucking death with. Movies for the niche market of people who are obsessed with movies. I'm not gonna show The Master to my uncle and expect him to like it, but The Outlaw Josey Wales is a safe bet. Using "arthouse" isn't to knock more accessible movies, or to elevate "art" movies. but a way to separate movies that, with good will, I would never show anyone who'd likely hate them.

that being said...

Austin Powers Trilogy (1997, 1999, 2003) - 7/10
Some horribly aged comedy, but a defining staple of late 90's early 00's pop culture that was a fun revisit. It's fun to watch how BIG these movies really got in terms of cameos and budget through each one, before character comedy dipped off the face of the planet.

« : Yesterday at 08:28:34 AM PowerRR »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19233 : Yesterday at 12:03:00 PM »

The Two Jakes (1990) - This sort of reveals itself as something of a flawed classic on an additional view, and the flaws are certainly there: The plot doesn't quite mesh perfectly at all, it can feel impenetrable at points, and not in a good way. Revelations sort of happen without the feeling of a payoff and the audience needs to play catch-up and figure out what happened (the chair and the location of the x-ray's are evidence of that). The tone can get a little messy at times, especially with Madeleine Stowe's character which would fit much better in a movie like Clue than a Chinatown sequel. Then there's bits where Jake's fiance randomly shows up and breaks up with him with all the grace of something you might see in a Saved By the Bell episode. And the not so subtle call backs to the original masterpiece doesn't help matters any either.

But in spite of all that, The Two Jakes is sort of enthralling and is held together by the late 40s atmosphere and Nicholson's fantastic performance. While the movie mostly works as a PI thriller, there's enough atmosphere and intrigue to keep things chugging along whenever the plot half stumbles. The Two Jakes is also a well directed movie by Nicholson sans the action scenes - though it should have been shot in scope. B

I don?t remember: have you seen the films of S. Craig Zahler?
I liked Bone Tomahawk quite a bit and I've been meaning to watch Brawl in Cell Block 99 for a couple years now and have access to it.

I don't disagree, but sometimes it's a convenient and concise word to use.

« : Yesterday at 12:05:12 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19234 : Today at 12:38:25 AM »

Where the Money Is (2000) - 6/10

Just relax and watch Newman.

just saw this. crappy movie.

from IMDB:

Old bank robber Henry (Paul Newman) paralyzed from a stroke, is moved from a prison hospital to a retirement home, where Carol (Linda Fiorentino) is a nurse. She doesn't believe he's paralyzed and sees him as a way out of her boring life.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19235 : Today at 12:45:00 AM »

The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960) 7.5/10
After a slow, repetitive and somewhat corny start, the film gets really better. Great fast paced dialogues, cool characters that are brought to life by very good performances and gorgeous cinematography. I really don't care about the numerous plot holes: it's a wonderful script. I like how the subplots are tied together and the way everything is (un)resolved.

I just saw this, and I'd give it an 8.5/10 (which is probably equivalent to  your 7.5/10 anyway  :P )

Jack Lemmon is absolutely spectacular. All the cast is good.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19236 : Today at 02:24:01 AM »

And as you mentioned Hossein's Cemetery without Crosses, everybody worth being here should have watched that one long ago.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, it's on my watchlist but it isn't on iTunes.

I liked Bone Tomahawk quite a bit and I've been meaning to watch Brawl in Cell Block 99 for a couple years now and have access to it.

I think you'll like it quite a lot. And don't forget to check out Dragged Across Concrete, his most polished work.

I just saw this, and I'd give it an 8.5/10 (which is probably equivalent to  your 7.5/10 anyway  :P )

Jack Lemmon is absolutely spectacular. All the cast is good.

Yep, great performances all around.

Austin Powers Trilogy (1997, 1999, 2003) - 7/10
Some horribly aged comedy, but a defining staple of late 90's early 00's pop culture that was a fun revisit. It's fun to watch how BIG these movies really got in terms of cameos and budget through each one, before character comedy dipped off the face of the planet.

NO. 4/10

--------------------------

Richard Jewell 7.5/10
Hey, it's actually good! Very simple movie but there is also more than what meets the eye. Of course the guy who plays Jewell is terrific and the movie counts a lot on letting him do his stuff. A good populist movie. Well done Clint.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19237 : Today at 05:40:28 AM »

Austin Powers gets an 11/10

Richard Jewell is SHIT

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19238 : Today at 05:59:12 AM »

Austin Powers gets an 11/10

Richard Jewell is SHIT
I thought you hated comedy?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19239 : Today at 08:15:01 AM »

I thought you hated comedy?

I watched the Austin Powers movies probably a total of 100 times when I was in high school. Not since then  ;) There was a time I could recite the second movie line by line.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19240 : Today at 09:41:06 AM »

Wonderland (2003) - Rashomon meets Boogie Nights meets poop. It's a mixed bag of everything, ranging from Val Kilmer's good performance (John Holmes) to Dylan McDermott looking like he scraped together a biker costume at the last minute for a Halloween party. It's a cheap looking movie that resembles an episode of 24 visually and many actors in the ensemble cast didn't even bother to have an early 80s hairstyle. There are also some strange anachronisms like a character having a late 80s brick cellphone in 1981. The soundtrack could have also been a lot better. The only saving grace, and it's really not a saving grace, is that the pace is pretty good due to the Roshomon story structure -- and the murder scene near the end is effectively creepy, even though the movie as a whole looks like a Fox show from the 00s. D+

« : Today at 11:38:58 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19241 : Today at 10:47:14 AM »

I just saw the movie on iTunes.

It's decent, but I wish Clint would go back to when Hollywood was the "Dream Factory" and drop his obsession with these real-life hero stories. The only great one was American Sniper. His four movies since then: Sully was mediocre, The 15:17 to Paris was absolute shit, The Mule, which is not actually a "hero" story but is a real-life story, is decent, as is Richard Jewell, but Clint is capable of so much more than decent. He is capable of greatness.

Richard Jewell is SHIT

Which one is a lie?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19242 : Today at 12:30:28 PM »

Which one is a lie?

You are right.

The second one is a lie. I reacted that way because of RR?s too-positive review of the movie ;) It?s not shit. But it?s not very good

And I am really upset at Clint these days. He is so talented and has the ability to make great movies, but he is obsessed with his real life stories that simply aren?t worthy of feature films.

: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines