Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:15:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830252 times)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17520 on: November 28, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »

CJ, I'll check it out and also on youtube is Double Deal with Marie Windsor and Richard Denning. Unfortunately Windsor plays the good girl here, but still a nice time waster.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17521 on: November 28, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »

CJ, I'll check it out and also on youtube is Double Deal with Marie Windsor and Richard Denning. Unfortunately Windsor plays the good girl here, but still a nice time waster.

Yea I watched it also just in the last week in fact, but it wasn't anything to really recommend other than as you say a time waster.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17522 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »

Any of you who need to kill time, there are plenty of soup kitchens or other charities that need volunteers, or sick/old people in the hospital who would appreciate visits  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17523 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:17 AM »

High and Dry (1954) Ealing comedy with Paul Douglas, entertaining. 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17524 on: December 05, 2017, 01:33:37 AM »

The Square (2017): Right before the launch of a new artwork called The Square at a modern art museum in Stockholm, Sweden, the curator's phone and wallet gets stolen. His attempt to retrieve them sets off a series of unexpected events. Swedish satire/black comedy that has a few funny moments but is just an overly long and disjointed mess of standalone scenes with little substance. Avoid. 5/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17525 on: December 05, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »

The Square (2017): Right before the launch of a new artwork called The Square at a modern art museum in Stockholm, Sweden, the curator's phone and wallet gets stolen. His attempt to retrieve them sets off a series of unexpected events. Swedish satire/black comedy that has a few funny moments but is just an overly long and disjointed mess of standalone scenes with little substance. Avoid. 5/10

Everything I read about The Square indicates the opposite. Too bad I missed this film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17526 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973) - 8/10. Pretty good. The fact that no one can figure out the day of the hit until almost the end is a bit silly. And it's too bad all the French are so English, but still . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17527 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »

Two Simenon adaptations, both with Gabin, both directed by Jean Delannoy.

Maigret and the St Fiacre Case
(1959) - 7/10. Could be called The Fat Man Goes Home. The premise is interesting: a woman is threatened that she will die before the end of Ash Wednesday mass. She goes to mass and in the midst of it keels over with a heart attack. Maigret, on the scene, declares it murder. But how was it done? And why?

Maigret Sets a Trap (1958) - 9/10. A Jack the Ripper style serial killer is stalking Parisian women, and Maigret must stop him. But he has no leads. So he . . . (wait for it) . . . sets a trap! This film features one of the most compelling 3rd Degree sequences ever . . . and a fabulous twist. It makes one mistake, though. After moving away from the principal suspect, to pick up on a surprising new one, the film returns to the original perp. A way should have been found to stay with the new one in spite of the undeniable guilt of the first.

Gabin was the definitive Maigret. They should have made a dozen of these.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17528 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »

Castle Keep (1969) - 6/10. Uh . . . say what?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17529 on: December 07, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (Ugly, Dirty and Bad) (1976) Director, Ettore Scola, shanty town shenanigans in Via Domizia Lucilla, Rome, Lazio, Italy, 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17530 on: December 08, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »

Peppermint Soda (1977) - 10/10. Dianne Kurys' autobiographical debut feature, about a girl's coming-of-age in French public school in the early 60s, a kind of female The 400 Blows (it even ends with the central character on a Normandy beach in freeze-frame), but better. The difference has to do with the fact that the heroine has a sister--the relationship between the girls is extremely well observed (Kurys dedicated her picture to her real-life sister) and makes the piece emotionally richer. I saw this film originally in, I think, 1979, and only now have I seen it (on blu) a second time. The long hiatus was unfortunate: this is one of French cinema's very best works.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17531 on: December 08, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

The Sun Also Rises (1957) – 6/10. It had to go the Zanuck Way/ It had to go the Zanuck Way/ Zanuck, Zanuck/ Way Way Way/ Zamuck, Zanuck/ Way Way Way/ It had to go the Zanuck Way.

It should have gone the Heming Way/ It should have gone the Heming Way/Heming, Heming/ Way Way Way/ Heming, Heming/ Way Way Way/ It should have gone the Heming Way.

“Isn’t it pretty to think so?”

With Ty Power, Ava G., a fat Errol Flynn, Eddie Albert, Mel Ferrer, and Juliette Gréco (who, rumor has it, was banging Mr. Z at the time).

UPDATE: Oh yeah, Robert Evans is in the picture, another genius move of Zanuck's. Every close-up of Evans shows him with a dopey look on his face. Since he wasn't really a bullfighter, the close-ups were his only reason for being in the film. But his close-ups are terrible!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:13:30 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17532 on: Yesterday at 03:27:43 AM »

Reality (2012) Neapolitan fishmonger gets obsessed about a Big Brother type of TV show.7/10

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17533 on: Yesterday at 03:53:14 PM »

Slaugher On Tenth Avenue (1957): Assistant DA Richard Egan takes on N.Y. waterfront racketeer Walter Matthau, after a longshoreman's been shot. Also has Jan Sterling, Dan Duryea and Charles McGraw... Solid movie, even if it's never really surprising. Strong performances tho. 7/10

Black Mass (2015): Biopic, depicting the rise and fall of Boston gangster James 'Whitey' Bulger (Johnny Depp) who turned snitch for the feds to get rid of competition. Decent but this should've been so much better, they really screwed up on this one... And who on Earth would cast Benedict Cumberbatch as a) Depp's brother and b) Irish Bostonian? 6/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM