Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:57:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A few things that stuck out while watching GBU today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few things that stuck out while watching GBU today  (Read 3071 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2005, 04:16:47 PM »

I was watching the extended version today and a few things stuck out to me that I hadn't caught before.

For one, I always noticed the dog on the beginning and at the end(In the graveyard) but during the scene where Angel Eyes is at the confederate hospital/camp I noticed the black dog again. Does that dog pop up in any other scenes? It's really not a big deal, but I think it's interesting how that black dog has appeared three times. Though they say that the one on the beginning is a coyote, but it's too far away to tell, really.

If I'm correct, Leone was Catholic, right? I've noticed some very direct Biblical references in his movies, and when Tuco said "Even when Judas hung himself there was a storm..." and when he said that I remembered Cheyenne's quote in OUATITW "Judas was content for 4970 dollars less." and of course the Jesus and Marisol reference in FOD is obvious.

Leone is the master of subtlety! I think it's amazing how he's able to put little things irrelevant ot the plot in his movies yet they make the movies even more better because they're there, kind of like the way he always has stuff going on outside of windows that have nothing to do with what's going on in the room the camera is in, like the scenes at the Union camp.

Has anyone else here ever noticed things that run through a movie or trilogy(Or all six movies) that just very subtle but are fun to find?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

Yes, he loaded them up with incredible amounts of great detail, like the obvious Mathew Brady reference, the trator lashed to the steam locomotive, the breathing/panting of the steam engine in OUATITW, just loaded it it on.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Bill Carson
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:43:35 PM »

Cool hola Poggle. watching GBU right now - a small but fun detail which has probably been mentioned before is how the DOLLARS films protagonists wear / carry their pistols; Joe/Manco/Blondie obviously has his concealed for the most part beneath the poncho, Colonel Mortimer / Angel-Eyes has his across his stomach (as 'Prophet' informs Manco) and of course my main man Tuco - his pistol hangs by a rope as does he several times in the movie.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:54:17 PM »

Yeah, I think it's cool how everyone has their own ways with their gun.

I was watching FOD today and for the first time I noticed something kind of funny. When the Confederate soldiers are riding into town you could see baby Jesus and his father running down the street on the left side of the screen. Hmm, running to the Baxters maybe?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 04:57:57 PM by Poggle » Logged
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 04:14:28 AM »

Angel-Eyes has his across his stomach (as 'Prophet' informs Manco)

The LVC trademark. I don't think I've seen a SW starring van Cleef where he doesn't carry it that way.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 04:45:02 AM »

Those were Mexican soldiers "Federales" Poggle

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 01:25:52 PM »

another reference is the cross that tuco stands on

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Ify
Chicken Thief

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »

For one, I always noticed the dog on the beginning

Isn't that a Cayote?

"This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -Quentin Tarantino
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM