Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 09:47:38 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rio Bravo (1959)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
: Rio Bravo (1959)  ( 47362 )
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #135 : August 01, 2018, 01:47:03 AM »

To you maybe. To others it is pretty much flawless - for what it is, a quintessential Hawks...
As he got older, he realized what he liked best - hanging out with friends who are on the same level.
When you watch RIO or HATARI! you know from the beginning that none of the leads will die,
that this is just an invitation to spend some time with these people. For me, as for Carpenter, Bogdanovic and
certain others who got his intentions and share similar sentiments, Hawks is the only director who made
relaxed films without much plot or fingernail-biting suspense we could endlessly watch forever. He created a world
we want to live in. Hence it can't be much flawed. HATARI! is even more consequent - there is no plot at all :).
Yet it is such a joy spending time with these people - THAT's what these films are all about. Who cares
about another heroine in danger? HATARI! & RIO run for 300 minutes - nobody could make films like
that. Yet I have to give Tarantino credit - JACKIE BROWN is about the closest I watched the last 20,30 years.
From the beginning one knows neither Jackie nor Robert Forster will die. Nor do we care that much what
happens with the money - the point is watching all these fine scenes & great actors spending time together...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
moorman
Gunslinger

« #136 : August 02, 2018, 05:57:31 AM »

To you maybe. To others it is pretty much flawless - for what it is, a quintessential Hawks...
As he got older, he realized what he liked best - hanging out with friends who are on the same level.
When you watch RIO or HATARI! you know from the beginning that none of the leads will die,
that this is just an invitation to spend some time with these people. For me, as for Carpenter, Bogdanovic and
certain others who got his intentions and share similar sentiments, Hawks is the only director who made
relaxed films without much plot or fingernail-biting suspense we could endlessly watch forever. He created a world
we want to live in. Hence it can't be much flawed. HATARI! is even more consequent - there is no plot at all :).
Yet it is such a joy spending time with these people - THAT's what these films are all about. Who cares
about another heroine in danger? HATARI! & RIO run for 300 minutes - nobody could make films like
that. Yet I have to give Tarantino credit - JACKIE BROWN is about the closest I watched the last 20,30 years.
From the beginning one knows neither Jackie nor Robert Forster will die. Nor do we care that much what
happens with the money - the point is watching all these fine scenes & great actors spending time together...

I hated Walter Brennan's performance in this.  I didn't like how his character was portrayed.  He had a similar light comedic role in To Have and Have Not but I feel that role was more becoming of him than the one he did in Rio Bravo.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #137 : August 02, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »

Too bad you can't enjoy it... easily one of the best supporting actor - performances of the 1950s. The glance in his eyes, Duke's kiss on his head - priceless...  :).  This film is obviously not for you...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #138 : August 02, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

I stand by everything Siegel said about Hawks and Rio Bravo, which is also one of my favorite movies. High Noon is a very fine movie with some excellent camera work and framing, but Rio Bravo is the superior movie because of Hawks' masterful storytelling and atmosphere.

If Hawks is not the single greatest director of all time, he's most definitely the coolest director by far. Virtually all of his work is much better on repeated views, especially those hang out movies where a group of characters are confined to one place: Rio Bravo, Only Angels Have Wings, etc.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
moorman
Gunslinger

« #139 : August 03, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »

I thought about your comment more. I HAVE to respect what you said.  There are tons of films that I love that other people probably don't GET why I love them.  What you said is the reason I love some of those films.  If the world created by Howard Hawks is the reason you love Rio Bravo, I have to respect that and I have no problem with that...

« : August 03, 2018, 11:21:41 AM moorman »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines