Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 04:15:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 106059 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

Thanks again Mike.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »

This film is outstanding. I love it more and more every time I watch it. It's definitley one of the best westerns ever made.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2007, 06:53:21 PM »

for a second I thought you had found the scene with audio (the alternate ending was never dubbed) but then I realized it was just sound effects that were being used from other films.

Imagine what Frank Wolffs character would be sayin..."Ice never stops Justice!"  Grin

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »

Imagine what Frank Wolffs character would be sayin..."Ice never stops Justice!"  Grin

Poor Frank Wolff. Seems like every character he plays never survives the whole movie.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »

And he didn't survive the genre too (he commited suicide in 1971. Depressions and an ended love affair).
He did shine with Corbucci (SILENZIO), Leone (OUTITW) and Colizzi (GOD FORGIVES).

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »

And he didn't survive the genre too (he commited suicide in 1971. Depressions and an ended love affair).
He did shine with Corbucci (SILENZIO), Leone (OUTITW) and Colizzi (GOD FORGIVES).

Yeah I knew he commited suicide. It's such a shame. I have yet to see SILENZIO and GOD FORGIVES. Do you recommend them mike siegel?

Tim
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »

I have yet to see SILENZIO

WWWWWWWhat?!  Buy it now, Tucumcari.  It's a safe blind buy for sure. Smiley

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »

WWWWWWWhat?!  Buy it now, Tucumcari.  It's a safe blind buy for sure. Smiley

HAHAHAHA I will Tim. You were right about Major Dundee, so I trust your judgment my friend! Afro

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »

lol, actually Tim, nevermind, Silenzio is "The Great Silence". Wow, I was just thinking of something else. Of course I've seen The Great Silence. Classic movie!

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »

sorry... I tend to use the Italian titles. otherwise one gets so mixed up with the often completely different German titles and the US or UK titles...

SILENZIO is the only Italian western that brought tears in my eyes when I first saw it (and the DEAD SONS scene in GIU LA TESTA).

As for recommendations: I never do that. Had soo many strange experiences, after all it's an art form - taste and so on...
Years ago I tended to give 'new' friends my favorite 10 or 20 films and was so devasted when they said that they switched off THE WILD BUNCH or MIDNIGHT COWBOY, or thought that M*A*S*H wasn't THAT funny...
I guess I take films (or the art form) much too seriousely. If it isn't for Al Adamson or Jess Franco Smiley

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:56 PM »

I know we all look at movies differently, but how can anybody not LOVE The Wild Bunch!!! I mean it pisses me off that someone who's a huge fan of movies, westerns in preticular, would rip that great film. I can see somebody not liking Midnight Cowboy, which I think is fantastic, but The Wild Bunch! Nope, you're lost your mind in my book if you rip it. lol

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »

The info inside the Fantoma keepcase confirms from Alex Cox that a remake was planned apparently why the film never got a US release although it is doubtful that a film that bombed in its native land would get a wide release in America anyways, particularly with a seriously downer ending. The bit in the alternate ending where Silence "talks", may have just been him moving his lips for the others to read, or an attempt to speak.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2007, 12:35:13 AM »

. The bit in the alternate ending where Silence "talks", may have just been him moving his lips for the others to read, or an attempt to speak.

Are you sure that is on the alternate ending and not the trailer?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2007, 12:37:01 AM »

Yes I believe it is the trailer now that you mention it. Haven't watched it in a while.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »

sorry to disappoint you, but it's not in the trailer.
the guys who financed SILENZIO were worried that Corbucci might get carried away with his vision of condemming violence and that the film wouldn't work at all with such a tragic ending. Corbucci offered to shot an ending in which SILENZIO survives. But as a student of Ford he was no dummy and shot it in such a way it wasn't usuable at all. I mean come on, watch it, if someone watches it with any understanding of FILM, he'll notice it right away: it is a different mood, completely.. like a bad cliffhanger thing: suddenly the dead sheriff pops up, all the baddies get killed, Silenzio fooled everybody with his muteness and they all smile like saying: 'sergio, sergio, are you satiesfied with our prentended bad acting ?'  Imagine Cheyenne waking up again and saying:' let's check out wether Frank is just hurt'... they go back and find him nursed by Jill who says: 'he knows he was wrong, he'll help building up Sweetwater. Maybe he'll get to be a mayor..' (just like in real life, ha guys?).
SILENZIO was a very serious attempt on everybody's side, so Corbucci made sure that alternate ending was unusuable. Looks like he shot it in 2 hours ...

In the end it's a rare and funny opportunity to see a director fighting for his vision (and the film was no 'bomb' in Europe. And I'm also not sure that the film wouldn't have received some recognition in the US/UK. After all it was the start of New Hollywood where happy endings were dreaded. Clyde Barrow, Pike Bishop, Captain America & Billy, seems that every protagonist in that first wave of NH died..)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM