Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 01:08:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 105986 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2007, 02:06:52 PM »

What's the reason, that so many spaghetti western actors committed suicide?

Just coincidence. Their career's had no barring on their suicides. It was mostly over a woman.

Just a quick friendly note: We have over 7 threads (and quite possibly more) dedicated to this film and perhaps it would be wise in the future to use our search engine more often.

Newbies make mistake. It's alright.

EDIT: Whoops! I made an error. I thought you had made yet another thread on this same subject. Sorry buddy Embarrassed

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:19:23 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

It's also been pointed to the Stranger in the strange city. Certain places can be excedingly intimidating if you don't know the customs or the language (Ask James Cameron)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »

Just a quick friendly note: We have over 7 threads (and quite possibly more) dedicated to this film and perhaps it would be wise in the future to use our search engine more often.
There's only one now and we're on it! Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:20 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

The Great Silence: Reflections

I'm just going to keep this review short and sweet as I have already given my views on this wonderful film. I have recently just finished watching the film for the first time on DVD, and for me, its just as wonderful on the small screen as it was on the big screen. The music was just as excellent as I remembered it to be, the acting was fabulous with Klaus Kinski and Trintignant being wonderful in their roles and moraly opposites,and yet still the same in their roles.
     The direction and cinematography, whilst being a little bit sloppy, suit the film perfectly and snow always lends itself to be one of the best cinematic weathers we have.  The film is definatly worth being re-explored by fans of the genre and newcomers should definatly check out this wonderful film.
     The R1 DVD I watched the film on this time round was by Fantoma. They present the film uncut, in non-anamorphic 1.66:1 and in its original English Mono taken from the original negative. The presentation seemed very similar to the one I saw at the UK cinematic premiere. Picture does contain some damage and the audio does hiss and have limitations but it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment.
      Included on the disc as extras is an introduction by Alex Cox. The disc says do not watch before the movie and I agree as Mr Cox dispenses the spoilers out thick and fast.  Also included is the alternate ending which should be seen to be believed and this can be watched silent or with commentary by Mr Cox. Finally there are liner notes included on the DVD by Alex Cox.
     For people who wish to own a version of this great film (and what has become my favourite non-leone spaghetti) then this seems to be the best version.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »

Arizona Colts review:-

GREAT SILENCE, THE- 1968-Sergio Corbucci’s best, IMO about a mysterious gunfighter named Silence who is after a gang of ruthless bounty hunters using the law as a means to masquerade their murder sprees. One of the most downbeat and depressing cinematic experiences you’re ever likely to see. Even knowing how the film ends still does not prepare you for its power to shock you into a numbing state of doubt at what you have seen. Frank Wolff plays the law abiding sheriff and the only character outside of Silence who could be a foil for the bad guys. Klaus Kinski in his greatest western performance as the lead heavy shows what he can do as the psychotic killer Loco or El Tigrero in the Italian version. He dominates the film and nearly succeeds in making it HIS film. A ferocious and callous film that goes against the grain refusing to allow good to triumph over evil. A bonafide gothic horror western similar in look to Mario Bava’s ‘Wurdulak’ segment in his THREE FACES OF FEAR. At the behest of nervous producers, Corbucci was asked to shoot an alternate ending for other markets that would not tolerate such a brutal finish. According to Howard Hughes exhaustive book ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE ITALIAN WEST, there was a rumor that Clint Eastwood was going to remake the film but nothing ever came of it. The film failed in Italy but was successful in Germany and France but could not secure US distribution. Simply the highest recommendation.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »

This film is brilliant.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »

Of course it is!  Afro

It would be a nice movie if Tigrero met Tomas Milian in his Chaco form... the two most sadistic villains united. Everyone would have died...  Grin

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »

Of course it is!  Afro

It would be a nice movie if Tigrero met Tomas Milian in his Chaco form... the two most sadistic villains united. Everyone would have died...  Grin

I say it's brilliant because I caught it on TV late last night. rr made me aware that it was on the IFC channell. I think they're playing it again tonight if I'm not mistaken.

The atmosphere to this western is brilliantly captured by Sergio Corbucci. It gets better everytime!

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »

Yes, that athmosphere... the snow and the coldness... you can feel there will nothing good happen.  Cry Very sad, and great.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

Yes, that athmosphere... the snow and the coldness... you can feel there will nothing good happen.  Cry Very sad, and great.

Well, the first time I watched this, I was one of the one's who was shocked by the ending. I'm still shocked till this day. I was not expecting that outcome!

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:43 AM »

I knew it, but it was really shocking.  Cry

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:17 AM »

I knew it, but it was really shocking.  Cry

You guessed Silence was going to be blown away before it happened?

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »

A damned movie encyclopedia wrote the spoiler that the Bad wins.

But it was so heartbreaking. Poor Silenzio.  Cry

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »

A damned movie encyclopedia wrote the spoiler that the Bad wins.

But it was so heartbreaking. Poor Silenzio.  Cry

That sucks. I absolutely hate when I read a review and it contains a spoiler in it before I watch it. At least you still enjoy the film even though it makes you sad.  Cry

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »

What's wrong with the alternate ending? How's it any worse or implausible than the ending to any number of other Spaghettis (Django or Fistful come to mind)?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM