Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 04:21:56 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28
: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  ( 118371 )
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #240 : October 30, 2007, 05:15:14 PM »

What's wrong with the alternate ending? How's it any worse or implausible than the ending to any number of other Spaghettis (Django or Fistful come to mind)?

Maybe the Frank Wolff reappearance qualifies here, but not the other stuff.  Silence talking and then that metal guard of some sort on his hand?  That's just too much.  Damn funny though. ;D

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #241 : October 31, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »

I always knew he's not a mute! He was just simulating!  >:D

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #242 : October 31, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »

Maybe the Frank Wolff reappearance qualifies here, but not the other stuff.  Silence talking and then that metal guard of some sort on his hand?  That's just too much.  Damn funny though. ;D

Silence talked? I must have missed that part. I agree that the metal glove was stupid however.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #243 : October 31, 2007, 09:38:28 AM »

Silence talked? I must have missed that part. I agree that the metal glove was stupid however.

I might be combining the alternate ending with the trailer from the DVD.  Watch the trailer, at the end, it might be the last shot, it shows Silence talking.  I still am caught off-guard when I see it.  Hey, wait a minute, isn't he supposed to be mute......? ;D

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #244 : October 31, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »

I might be combining the alternate ending with the trailer from the DVD. 

That's exactly right.

Silence doesn't talk in the alternate ending.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #245 : November 29, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »

I remember there was always talk about the format SILENZIO was shot. Some claimed 4:3 with  MATTE in the theaters (1:1,66 or US Widescreen 1:1,85). I recently purchased a 35mm print, for the record: it was shot in 1:1,85.
The DVD ratio is not that bad but it is not perfect either:

« : November 30, 2007, 06:16:53 AM mike siegel »

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #246 : November 29, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »

Thanks, Mike. Once again, we're all in your debt.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #247 : November 29, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »

Thanks for the info Mike

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly

« #248 : November 30, 2007, 09:48:22 AM »

Yeah, Mike shines every now and then.  O0

silvanski
Road Apple

Silence

« #249 : January 13, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »

I need to get the DVD. It's my favorite after the Leone westerns. Jean-Louis Trintignant was a rather weird choice for the part of the mysterious gunman, but he pulled it off

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #250 : January 13, 2009, 11:40:21 PM »

I need to get the DVD. It's my favorite after the Leone westerns. Jean-Louis Trintignant was a rather weird choice for the part of the mysterious gunman, but he pulled it off

Franco Nero told me he was offered the part but he had to leave for America to make Camelot (And we all know how that turned out). Corbucci was furious.

All this makes sense since Trintignant is made up to look like Nero in Django.
At least that was the impression I always got.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #251 : June 24, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »

In his new book, "10,000 Ways to Die", Alex Cox says that the US R1 release is a "better looking, more complete version" than the UK R2 release. I was under the impression that both releases were complete and of the same image quality, with the R2 release being preferable due to it having the Italian audio track as well as the English one.

I am also aware that an extra with Alex Cox discussing the film is included on the US R1 release but not the UK R2 release which is rather ironic seeing as he is English. This perhaps explains why he favors the R1 release; perhaps NTSC and PAL differences misled him concerning running times.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #252 : June 25, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »

I am also aware that an extra with Alex Cox discussing the film is included on the US R1 release

Yeah, it looks like he filmed himself with a camcorder in his laundry room or something.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #253 : June 26, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »

Just found this over at DVD Times (bolded the relevant section):

The Great Silence has been released in Region 1 on a superb disc which contained a good transfer and some valuable extras. The Eureka Region 2 release is equally impressive on the transfer front but omits a couple of bonus features. Given that these were sourced in the UK and provided by our own Alex Cox, the omission is a little irksome.

The film was, unusually for a Spaghetti, shot in a ratio of approximately 1.66:1 and this is respected on the disc. The transfer is non-anamorphic but this is the only major criticism. I was knocked off my seat by the clarity and richness of this image. Colours , often deliberately muted, come across strongly and the level of detail is immaculate. There is some print damage evident in places but this is relatively minor and considerably less of a problem than I would have expected for a film which, for all its qualities, is reasonably obscure. The print used looks identical to the Region 1 release from Fantomas and the transfer may even be a little more impressive.

There are two soundtracks included. The Region 1 Fantomas release contains an English 2.0 Mono mix which sounds a little crackly and suffers from hiss but is otherwise reasonably good. The Region 2 contains both this English track – identical to the Region 1 in quality – and also an Italian 2.0 Mono track which sounds a good deal cleaner. However, the downside of this is that it sounds a little too artificial and lacks atmosphere. Music comes across strongly on both tracks and dialogue – which would have been post-dubbed in any case – is eminently clear on the English track. English subtitles are offered for those who prefer the Italian track and it’s very nice to have the choice of which to listen to. I tended to prefer the English for its more natural sound but it’s a close-run thing.

The only extras are an Italian theatrical trailer, in poor condition, and the extraordinary alternative ending which exists only in a soundless version. Shot for the North African market, where it was considered the downbeat ending would be disastrous, it’s a complete mess which is very funny but also rather frightening when you consider that it was made by allegedly intelligent people. I won’t reveal what it contains but be prepared for the most unlikely ‘arrival of the cavalry’ scenes you’ve ever seen.

The extras from the Region 1 which are omitted are the Alex Cox introduction to the film – which is like one of his Moviedrome pieces; enjoyable and informed but not essential – and a brief commentary on the alternative ending. I can live without these pieces but it’s hard to believe that they would have been very difficult for Eureka to include. Possibly the cost of submitting them to the BBFC was prohibitive in the circumstances.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #254 : June 26, 2009, 05:15:44 AM »

I remember there was always talk about the format SILENZIO was shot. Some claimed 4:3 with  MATTE in the theaters (1:1,66 or US Widescreen 1:1,85). I recently purchased a 35mm print, for the record: it was shot in 1:1,85.
The DVD ratio is not that bad but it is not perfect either

DVD Compare says the following:
The French release is the only edition with an anamorphic transfer, and it has some nice extra material too. However, its aspect ratio is 1.85:1, so it must be slightly cropped, since the OAR is 1.66:1.

Mike are you saying that the 1.85:1 version is not cropped because it reflects the OAR and that we are actually getting more image with it? Do you have a copy of the 1.66:1 version to make a comparison?

: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines