Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 11:03:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 97352 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 22, 2013, 05:33:30 AM »

Stanton's got it right. The whole point is that the outlaws aren't a threat. It's even hinted that the outlaws are victims of political or religious persecution rather than criminals. CJ's way would be more morally ambiguous, but I don't think Corbucci was going for ambiguity.

My trouble with that is the old Utah Territory, the surrounding environs of Nevada, Northern Arizona, and Southern Idaho are Mormon-ized so it doesn't quite   make much sense to just hint at it when you could have say tied in some actual historical incidents like the Edmunds Anti-Polygamy Act of 1882, passed in a wave of Victorian-era reaction to the perceived immorality of polygamy, or the  Edmunds–Tucker Act on May 19, 1890, that dis-incorporated The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or even the non religious Ludlow Massacre in the snow on April 20, 1914 where workers at Colorado mine went on strike, company guards fired machine guns and killed several men, 2 women and 11 children.

What we get instead from Corbucci is a total out and out fantasy, with a fake epilogue, when it could have been so much more.  

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:40:43 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2016, 04:47:12 AM »

You may remember I mentioned the (often doubted) fact that the film was not released in English
language territory because Eastwood secured the rights for a remake?

Even Alex Cox knows about this:
https://vimeo.com/50101903

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2016, 05:55:53 AM »

If I remember correctly, Cox suggests this in writing in his book "10,000 Ways to Die".

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »

I like this film and would buy a BD in a heart beat.
However,  DJANGO is Corcucci's best.

Having said that Corbucci is nothing more than a second rate Leone (maybe even third Smiley)
People who think Corbucci is better than Leone mustn't get Leone are are contrarians who think going against the grain makes them special (there are a lot of those on the internet)

People always wax on about the downbeat ending as though it was a stroke of genius.
I tend to think of this type betrayal of an audiences expectations is rather cheap and obvious.
A vengeance film without a payoff in the end is just dumb.

Still, it's in my top ten of most wanted films on BD
I love the snowy setting.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 23, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »

Actually it was a stroke of genius. Corbucci was the only Spag director who had the talent and the ideas to rival Leone. And The Great Silence and The Mercenary are superior to most of Leone's films, but can't mess with OUTW and GBU. But then, only a few other films can.

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »

Actually it was a stroke of genius. Corbucci was the only Spag director who had the talent and the ideas to rival Leone. And The Great Silence and The Mercenary are superior to most of Leone's films, but can't mess with OUTW and GBU. But then, only a few other films can.

I respectfully disagree.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 23, 2016, 09:46:07 PM »

And The Great Silence and The Mercenary are superior to most of Leone's films, but can't mess with OUTW and GBU. But then, only a few other films can.

So you prefer "The Mercenary" to "Once Upon a Time in America" for example?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2016, 02:09:25 AM »

So you prefer "The Mercenary" to "Once Upon a Time in America" for example?

Actually, yes. OUTA is overlong and never really fascinated me. I re-watched it 2 years ago, and I don't intend to watch it again the next 15 years, or so.

None of Corbucci's films is without flaws, but there is a lot of incredible stuff in The Great Silence and The Mercenary, and also some bold narrative ideas, which never got the worldwide recognition they deserved.

Of course Corbucci wasted his talent, it even seems he later unlearned how to direct films, but in his best films he was very creative. While Corbucci made too many films Leone must be blamed for making too little

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »

1.  I own the DVD of Great Silence
2.  I watched this about 15 years ago.
3.  I watched for a second time just last night, wanted to hear the music and see some of the influences for Hateful Eight.

I personally don't see the genius in this film, but some scenes are very good.  The Mormons/outlaws look like an early Zombie attack.  Kinski is really good, as is Silence, but I sure can't see this film ranking with Leone's.  On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't use the "happy ending", and Alex Cox seems to be in love with this film.  Oh well, it was fun to see Pistilli, Brega too, and the snow.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »

I'm with Stanton on this one. Although one can't compare Leone's pre-1970 films with SILENZIO & MERCENARIO, Leone was not into political undertones in the 60s. I will finally scan my 35mm print, as long as the colors are all there... a good reference, especially since it is a 1969 first release print.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »

I'm with Stanton on this one. Although one can't compare Leone's pre-1970 films with SILENZIO & MERCENARIO, Leone was not into political undertones in the 60s.

If Corbucci's output had been roughly the same as Leone's (i.e. we only had his top handful or so of films to watch), he could have gone down as one of the all-time greats.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »

I will finally scan my 35mm print, as long as the colors are all there... a good reference, especially since it is a 1969 first release print.

When can we expect the Blu-ray remastered from original elements  Roll Eyes

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2016, 02:23:26 PM »

I hope I didn't come off as a Corbucci hater.
It's just that I think Leone is on the level of a Kubrick or Tarkovsky.
A Master Of Cinema with no "false notes" Smiley

THE GREAT SILENCE is one of my favorite Non-Leone films most wanted on BD.
Margheriti's ...AND GOD SAID TO CAIN and KILL THE WICKEDS only rate higher for me.

Also, I wouldn't want a happy ending in GS.
It's original and great the way it is.
I just don't think it's that brilliant of a thought.
However, I do give Corbucci props for "sticking to his guns" Smiley and getting it released that way.
It must have been hard.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:26:56 PM by Rojo Ramone » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »

Actually, yes. OUTA is overlong and never really fascinated me. I re-watched it 2 years ago, and I don't intend to watch it again the next 15 years, or so.

Shocked Shocked

I hope I didn't come off as a Corbucci hater.

Not at all. Corbucci did make some good films. However, Leone's stuff was just sublime in my opinion.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »

Having my first ever viewing tonight. Excited a touch I be.

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM