Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 03:21:25 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  ( 122671 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #390 : April 14, 2018, 11:17:21 AM »

Hmm, I was just thinking that I'd add "El precio de un hombre" in too. With "Tepepa and O Cangaceiro", maybe Tomas Milian's presence is swaying things since he is the running theme through them all... He's also in all 3 of Sollima's SWs and several of Corbucci's (although notably not "The Great Silence", "Django" or "The Mercenary").

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #391 : April 14, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »

Milian is too often overdoing his already eccentric acting thing. He's not bad though, and quite ok in his early Spags, to which El precio de un hombre (aka as The Bounty Killer) belongs, but I'm glad he's not in The Mercenary.

What do you think about Django Kill?

moorman
Gunslinger

« #392 : April 19, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »

Italian and English audio options too. Gotta start saving my pennies - hopefully it will come down in price a little.

The fools - ah well. Wasn't your commentary in German though? Or were you planning to re-record it for them? I would have liked to see the scan of your 35mm print though.

I was greatly relieved when i saw that its gonna have English dubbing. 

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #393 : April 20, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »

What do you think about Django Kill?

I've never bothered to seek it out since it doesn't seem like my kind of thing

I was greatly relieved when i saw that its gonna have English dubbing. 

I'm glad we have both. The English dubbing is good on this one and we get to hear Frank Wolff's and I believe also Vonetta McGee's actual voices.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #394 : April 21, 2018, 12:41:40 AM »

I love DJANGO KILL... it is more or less an Art Film. Just great. Superb soundtrack too....

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #395 : June 02, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »

Early review here...

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?7485-Great-Silence-TheFM

moorman
Gunslinger

« #396 : June 03, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

Early review here...

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?7485-Great-Silence-TheFM
  I'm licking my chops for this film. I have the fantoma version and was hugely disappointed that it didn't have English dubbing.  This review you gave for the Blu Ray is excellent.  I ordered a copy and can't wait to see what film movement did to it. Thanxx...

moorman
Gunslinger

« #397 : June 07, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »

I received the Blu Ray today and it is EVERYTHING AND MORE what we expected.  Film Movement did a excellent job with this.  The presentation of the film inside the packaging is what you would expect from Criterion.  You will receive a very nice booklet to accompany the film and a pamphlet featuring Classic Film Movement Films. The Blu Ray itself has a top notch presentation of its features. I haven't had a chance yet to look at the features.  As mentioned in a link above, it features documentaries, Alex Cox and two alternate endings. 

The restoration itself is top notch.  At the very beginning during a couple of shots there is a checkered artifact from the camera.  The reviewer over at " Rock, Shock and Pop" said its most likely caused by some sort of filter applied to the camera.   Outside of that the restoration and the look of the film itself is SUPERB.  I originally saw a bad copy on Youtube.  The restoration is soo good that it seemed to bring out ADDITIONAL scenes that I did't notice before.  It made everything fuller.  Everything has depth and really POPS here. The soundtrack is beyond excellent.  The English is in Dolby Digital Mono and is excellent.  When I get a chance I will review the documentaries and commentaries.

As I rewatched this film it reinforced my feelings about this being the greatest Western ever made. I would be remiss to not bring up the fact again that Quentin Tarintino lifted his Western themes and ideas from Sergio Corbucci.  There is no doubt about that.  You can't help but notice it.   Its something he gladly admits.

« : June 07, 2018, 05:54:46 PM moorman »
moorman
Gunslinger

« #398 : June 15, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »

I rate the Big Gundown better, saw the last 20 minutes on Encore Westerns Friday night.  In Silence, remember how Frrank Wolfe's gun wouldn't shoot because it was "too cold"?  The snow didn't stop Loco's gun hidden in the snowbank from working.

Loco's gun was wrapped in fur.  Thats why it wasn't frozen...

moorman
Gunslinger

« #399 : June 15, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »

i just wonder how much we value these non-leone spaghettis based on whether morricone scored them, because Great Silence has a good ennio score and it sounds like Big Gundown and Face to Face do too, so perhaps these mediocre films are enhanced by Morricone.

But then i spose ur going into the realms of how much leone was reliant on morricone...

Morricone cannot save a film. It has to be good to great even if he scores it.  Morricone writes his music from what he sees.  It ENHANCES the films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #400 : June 15, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

I received the Blu Ray today and it is EVERYTHING AND MORE what we expected.  Film Movement did a excellent job with this.  The presentation of the film inside the packaging is what you would expect from Criterion.  You will receive a very nice booklet to accompany the film and a pamphlet featuring Classic Film Movement Films. The Blu Ray itself has a top notch presentation of its features. I haven't had a chance yet to look at the features.  As mentioned in a link above, it features documentaries, Alex Cox and two alternate endings. 

The restoration itself is top notch.  At the very beginning during a couple of shots there is a checkered artifact from the camera.  The reviewer over at " Rock, Shock and Pop" said its most likely caused by some sort of filter applied to the camera.   Outside of that the restoration and the look of the film itself is SUPERB.  I originally saw a bad copy on Youtube.  The restoration is soo good that it seemed to bring out ADDITIONAL scenes that I did't notice before.  It made everything fuller.  Everything has depth and really POPS here. The soundtrack is beyond excellent.  The English is in Dolby Digital Mono and is excellent.  When I get a chance I will review the documentaries and commentaries.

As I rewatched this film it reinforced my feelings about this being the greatest Western ever made. I would be remiss to not bring up the fact again that Quentin Tarintino lifted his Western themes and ideas from Sergio Corbucci.  There is no doubt about that.  You can't help but notice it.   Its something he gladly admits.

Does the dubbing sound better? That was my small gripe.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #401 : June 15, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »

Does the dubbing sound better? That was my small gripe.

Yes.  Its the same voices of course but it comes across cleaner.  It was done in Dolby Digital and could've been done in LPCM like the Italian version.  I haven't played the Italian version so i cannot say whether there is a noticeable drop in audio quality because of the compression used in Dolby Digital.  I don't know if its because of the restoration but it SEEMS that the voices match up better with the actors than the version i saw on Youtube. 

I DID read somewhere where the extra scenes i THOUGHT I imagined were ACTUALLY additional footage that Film Movement found for the restoration.  The whole presentation just comes across almost like a whole new film.  You HAVE to get this for your collection...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #402 : June 15, 2018, 02:42:58 PM »

Yes.  Its the same voices of course but it comes across cleaner.  It was done in Dolby Digital and could've been done in LPCM like the Italian version.  I haven't played the Italian version so i cannot say whether there is a noticeable drop in audio quality because of the compression used in Dolby Digital.  I don't know if its because of the restoration but it SEEMS that the voices match up better with the actors than the version i saw on Youtube. 

I DID read somewhere where the extra scenes i THOUGHT I imagined were ACTUALLY additional footage that Film Movement found for the restoration.  The whole presentation just comes across almost like a whole new film.  You HAVE to get this for your collection...

Thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #403 : August 02, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »

Thanks

Did you spring for a copy yet?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #404 : August 05, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »

Did you spring for a copy yet?

Not yet.

: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines