Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 09:16:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 97425 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2004, 08:31:00 AM »

Well, finally got through The Great Silence.  Took me 4 days of watching it in bits and pieces, it was incredibly dull and I couldn't sit through more than half an hour of it at a time.  I found myself nodding off each time it was on, and had to switch over to baseball to wake up - and if a movie is duller than baseball that's not a good thing.  But once I pay, I always see the job through.

Jeez, how many times does Corbucci have to have a  5 minute long shot of horses stumbling through the snow?  Horses struggle, but then a stagecoach manages to get through mountain passes on a freshly plowed trail - uh, ok.  One time at the beginning is cool to set the scene, but after that it just begins to look like the director ran out of ideas and he's scrambling for film to stretch the movie out to 90 minutes.  

And the outlaws in the hills - what the hell was that about  Undecided  They stumbled around like zombies from Night of the Living Dead most of the time, not a particularly scary bunch.  And the mute lead character - not charismatic in the least, dull as dishwater.  I wish they would have shot him sooner maybe the movie would have started moving then.  That Vonetta McGee woman was pretty hot though  Grin

It seems like the whole movie was going through the motions just to get to the big surprise ending.   That end was kind of cheating, there was no foreshadowing beforehand - but I guess Silence did deserve to die because he was so damn uninteresting.   Even Morricone seemed to mail it in, just pasting in the identical theme music each time they got into the outdoor snow shots no matter how the circumstances had changed.

But Klaus Kinski was really good as usual - no one does a better psychopath.  The Frank Wolff character was plain silly.  I don't know, I tried to like it but I thought it was a load of shite.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2004, 11:33:49 AM »

General

thinking about it you are right in many things you say
Ok, i dont rate Corbucci particularly highly, i think Django's crap.
But The Great Silence, though trying at times, is incredibly distinctive and i thought at times inspired, though cheap.
Sorry, disagree with u bout Silence - brilliant casting to put a mute in the lead role especially Trintignant who's a great actor.
It's not as good as Leone, but hey, who is?

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2004, 12:15:02 PM »

Well, like I said I tried to like it - but I did NOT find it inspired, in fact I found it derivative and a cheap Leone ripoff.

- Let's get a stoic lead, but we'll make him the ultimate stoic.  I got it, let's make him a mute!

- Let's get Morricone to do the soundtrack.  But now he wants too much money, so we'll give him a couple of lira to just slightly alter his score for OUTITW.  Then we'll just paste the same score in endlessly through the movie.

- Let's blur the line between the good guys and bad guys.  So our lead will do some senseless maiming right at the start, like shooting off some loser's thumbs.

- Let's copy Leone's longs.  To make them kind of interesting lets show horses and humans struggling through the snow.  And then lets repeat this 8 times during the movie.

I could go on.  But what mainly pissed me off about this movie is he tried to steal Leone's formula but he left out the most important part.  THE PASSION.  Leone loved making movies, he loved his stories, he loved his scenery and he loved his characters - this last is the most important.  You can tell he even loved AngelEyes and Indio and Ramon.  This Corbucci is a total misanthrope - he hates his characters, and he really disliked and disrespected his audience:  "You want spaghetti western, I give you spaghetti western you pigs"  The ending is the ultimate insult.

-

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2004, 01:21:34 PM »

ha ha lol Grin

When you make a film with an ending so negative you are going to alienate people. i thought it had a wholly different atmosphere from Leone but it does steal certain elements. it is better than standard cheap Spaghetti Western fare.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2004, 02:56:55 PM »

- Let's get Morricone to do the soundtrack.  But now he wants too much money, so we'll give him a couple of lira to just slightly alter his score for OUTITW.  Then we'll just paste the same score in endlessly through the movie.
The Great Silence was made before OUTITW.
I could go on.  But what mainly pissed me off about this movie is he tried to steal Leone's formula but he left out the most important part.  THE PASSION.  Leone loved making movies, he loved his stories, he loved his scenery and he loved his characters - this last is the most important.  You can tell he even loved AngelEyes and Indio and Ramon.  This Corbucci is a total misanthrope - he hates his characters, and he really disliked and disrespected his audience:  "You want spaghetti western, I give you spaghetti western you pigs"  The ending is the ultimate insult.
Just love how that ending pisses people off. every time Grin

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2004, 04:50:52 AM »

If director's intent was to provoke a reaction it worked - 50 replies on this thread.  I still think it's shite  Grin  Alex Cox should be ashamed of himself, how much did they pay him to do that commentary?  But he's forgiven, he gave us "Repo Man".

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »

General, I think you have to reserve judgement and check out the rest of the genre, there are many many other SW's far, far worse, lower than whale shite if that's possible. lol.

As you view the rest of the crap you may thank the gods that Leone could transend the lot and may think better of The Great Silence and some of the rest of the top twenty.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2004, 03:03:03 AM »

Now i'll tell what is shite - the alternate 'happy ending' included on the disc where the Sheriff (Frank Wolff) remarkably comes back from the dead to save Silence and kill Loco's band.

Of the two endings i know which was better. Smiley

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2004, 07:24:12 AM »

Yep, that other ending was terrible. Glad they didn't use it.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2004, 09:36:30 AM »

I think I'm gonna go low carb, no more spags for awhile - not good for the digestion.  Back to Great Silence: if you like this because of the shocker ending (it's only redeeming quality IMO) that still respects the audience you should get the orginal "Get Carter" with Michael Caine (NOT the Stallone version!).  Directed by Mike Hodges - great British gangster flick.  Also has very low opinion of humanity, but director still cares for his characters.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2004, 10:18:18 AM »

One thing about Great Silence - the Mario Brega character getting his face burned off was good fun.

It's class.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2004, 12:03:07 PM »

One thing about Great Silence - the Mario Brega character getting his face burned off was good fun.

That was pretty good - at least he had the sense to stick his head in a snow bank  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2004, 04:31:01 PM »

Hey General, its funny you mentioned Get Carter, I was going to do a post saying how much we lost over the course of time with the demise of the 60's & 70's.

I happend to watch both versions almost back to back and the original is much superior to Stallone's remake.

It must be the ratings systems, striving for a PG-13, what a load of crap. No T&A or naked women in Stallones movie pretty bland stuff. What a difference from the freewheeling 60-70 period.

And of course the ending, all we get today is predictable crap, with clone sequils if they are successful.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2004, 10:49:01 AM »

If director's intent was to provoke a reaction it worked - 50 replies on this thread.  I still think it's shite  Grin  Alex Cox should be ashamed of himself, how much did they pay him to do that commentary?  But he's forgiven, he gave us "Repo Man".

I had a great deal of respect for Alex Cox, until I bought Django Strikes Again (the "official" Django sequal) a few weeks ago. The box featured quotes from him praising the film saying it was "comparable to Unforgiven". In fact it was one of the biggest piles of crap I've ever sat through. It also made me lose respect for Franco Nero. I would say it was my least favourite spaghetti western, but that would really be stretching the term spaghetti western. It was basically a 3rd rate attempt at a bad 80s action film, which happened to occasionally have Franco Nero firing a Gatling gun, bearing as little resemblance to the original Django as possible. Anyone else seen this turd?

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »

Its Keoma thats Unforgiven its unkanny by story in places. And yes Django Strikes Again is absolute dribble. Joes right Its 80s Action movie (Commando, Mad Max 2, Rambo you name it)
Great Silence is Eastwood's Joe Kid. both set in snowy settings.. bolo pistols all round.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 01:32:40 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM