Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:34:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 97503 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 24, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »

Enjoy, it's remotely/loosely based on the Ludlow Massacre, April 20, 1914. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2017, 07:05:33 AM »

Here's some good news from http://www.cinematheque.fr/film/62228.html

Restauré en 4K par la CSC – Cineteca Nazionale de Rome à partir des négatifs son et image mis à disposition par Movietime. La restauration a permis de récupérer la fin alternative, tournée par Corbucci à la demande des producteurs. Elle sera également montrée. Les travaux ont été réalisés aux Laboratoires Augustus Color et Studio Cine de Rome.

I assume a blu-ray will follow  Smiley

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »

For all I know he is the devil.

The Great Silence is directed by Sergio Corbucci and Corbucci co- writes the screenplay with Mario Amendola, Bruno Corbucci and Vittoriano Petrilli. It stars Jean-Louis Trintignant, Klaus Kinski, Frank Wolff, Luigi Pistilli, Vonetta McGee and Mario Brega. Music is by Ennio Morricone and cinematography by Silvano Ippoliti.

Snowhill, Utah - Winter at the turn of the century, and the local villagers have succumbed to thievery purely to survive. But with that comes bounties on their heads, which brings into the area the bounty hunters who are a law unto themselves. Enter the mute gunfighter known as Silence, who has a deep rooted hatred of bounty hunters...

Something of a cult classic and massively popular in Spaghetti Western fan's circles, The Great Silence is as perpetually cold as the snowy landscapes that surround this tale. Death is a financial commodity, greed and corruption stalks the land, while the shades between right and wrong are as blurry as can be. The violence cuts deep, none more so than with the famous finale that closes down the pic with a pneumatic thud. The photography captures the winter scapes perfectly and is in tune with the narrative drive, while maestro Morricone lays a ethereal musical score over proceedings.

There's some daft goofs such as a dead man blinking and manacles that mysteriously disappear, and not all the acting is of the standard that Kinski and Wolff provide, but this is one utterly unforgettable bowl of Spaghetti. Its reputation in the pasta circles well deserved. 8/10

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:12:02 AM by Spikeopath » Logged

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2017, 03:17:05 AM »

Spike, that's a pretty low rating for this excellent film compared to your other ratings of westerns. I think this is one of the most notable westerns ever, from one of the genre's best directors.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

Spike, that's a pretty low rating for this excellent film compared to your other ratings of westerns. I think this is one of the most notable westerns ever, from one of the genre's best directors.

Hiya Stan.  Well I am happy that you laud it so highly, as for the director I will have to see some more of his work, but would a truly great director leave those goofs in? While some of the acting I found very poor, so I feel an 8/10 is the right grading from me personally.  That said, I now own it and will happily be rewatching it, so it could well go up  on rating during further viewings.

Cheers

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

Nah 8/10 is about right, it's a bit daffy in parts when it didn't have to be.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »

Corbucci is always kind of "daffy" which is part of the charm. Then again this is probably one of his less "daffy" ones.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »

Sometimes I wonder whether GRRM knows this movie.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 16, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »

Huh

Welcome back btw!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 16, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »

Who is GRRM?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »

Hiya Stan.  Well I am happy that you laud it so highly, as for the director I will have to see some more of his work, but would a truly great director leave those goofs in? While some of the acting I found very poor,

Corbucci was a comparatively lazy director, and at this point did not have that much of an budget. Actually I never noticed one of these goofs, and also generally I don't care much for goofs or the usual continuity errors and stuff like that. This happens, and it won't drop a film for me.

I don't see there any poor acting. The only thing I don't like is that Corbucci made a caricature out of Wolff's Sheriff. This does not work for me, and is my only real point of criticism.

But even that can't detract from the visual intelligence and conceptual exceptionality with all its bold ideas of this masterpiece, which makes it one of the best westerns ever. In Europe this film has a far better reputation than in the USA, or generally in the English speaking parts of the world.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »

Corbucci was a comparatively lazy director...

I've never entirely bought that argument. He certainly said things to that effect as part of his jokey personality, and he certainly wasn't like Leone in his attention to detail, but I put the idea of Corbucci being "lazy" in the same category as Peckinpah having made nothing worth watching after "Garcia" - commonly stated, but a gross generalization.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

Well there is a slight difference Smiley.
With the exception of CROSS OF IRON, Peckinpah's films after GARCIA of course are "lesser Peckinpah's",
but even those have a lot to offer and are still interesting today. While Corbucci (in my opinion  anyway)
wasted his talent after IL MERCENARIO, his last masterpiece. He lost interest in making significant films,
which I think is a shame. But I think as long as there are filmgoers who think COMPANEROS or any of his
later films can compete with his pre-1969 work, who cares Smiley. Meantime I start work on a SILENZIO Blu-ray,
can't wait to see the master later this summer...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »

I've never entirely bought that argument. He certainly said things to that effect as part of his jokey personality, and he certainly wasn't like Leone in his attention to detail, but I put the idea of Corbucci being "lazy" in the same category as Peckinpah having made nothing worth watching after "Garcia" - commonly stated, but a gross generalization.

I buy it easily.
He had so much talent, and he wasted it so often. After Silence and Mercenary, which are more than Django his masterpieces, the next 2 films he made contain still some excellent scenes, especially Companeros is full of stuff which belongs to the best I have seen in any western, but there are also scenes in Companeros which really bear a big "I don't care" stamp on them.
After Companeros it all went down very quick and later he made some really bad films, which show nothing of his once stylish craftsmanship, which really give me the impression that one can lose his talent completely. They look totally dull.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »

Who is GRRM?

George R. R. Martin, famously murderous writer  Evil

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM