Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:18:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 97498 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »

Well there is a slight difference Smiley.
With the exception of CROSS OF IRON, Peckinpah's films after GARCIA of course are "lesser Peckinpah's",
but even those have a lot to offer and are still interesting today. While Corbucci (in my opinion  anyway)
wasted his talent after IL MERCENARIO, his last masterpiece. He lost interest in making significant films,
which I think is a shame. But I think as long as there are filmgoers who think COMPANEROS or any of his
later films can compete with his pre-1969 work, who cares Smiley. Meantime I start work on a SILENZIO Blu-ray,
can't wait to see the master later this summer...

I buy it easily.
He had so much talent, and he wasted it so often. After Silence and Mercenary, which are more than Django his masterpieces, the next 2 films he made contain still some excellent scenes, especially Companeros is full of stuff which belongs to the best I have seen in any western, but there are also scenes in Companeros which really bear a big "I don't care" stamp on them.
After Companeros it all went down very quick and later he made some really bad films, which show nothing of his once stylish craftsmanship, which really give me the impression that one can lose his talent completely. They look totally dull.

Well, I suppose I'm playing devil's advocate to a degree  Smiley

To be honest, I've avoided most of Corbucci's stinkers (which probably represent the larger part of his oeuvre), but I don't think anyone who supposedly didn't care that much could ever have come out with some of the stuff he did - I mean it was hardly accidental.

Regarding "post-Garcia Peckinpah": the first 20-30 minutes of "The Killer Elite" is top-notch Peckinpah - the rest is ruined by all the martial arts nonsense (in a weird way it makes me think of "My Name is Nobody" as something that could have been great being ruined by a separate incompatible agenda); "Cross of Iron" is an absolute masterpiece (as we all agree I think); "The Osterman Weekend" is not his very best but most people aren't evaluating the director's cut which does play much better and is nonetheless a very good flick (hey, not everything can be a masterpiece); "Convoy" isn't really a "Peckinpah film" for a variety of reasons (although it is entertaining nonetheless, but hardly a classic).

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »

I'm recording an audio-commentary for THE KILLER ELITE this week, quite a task Smiley.
But again, as a film historian I always try to consider the back story when judging
films. KILLER ELITE is the result of just that, which is a bit unfortunate:
Peckinpah had signed to film the novel, which played in London and Africa - NO martial arts.
That came about when Jimmy Caan was signed. He preferred not to film in Europe again
for a longer period and the new script was written by Bruce Lee student Stirling Siliphant
(who wanted to showcase his wife Tiana, another Lee student). UA wanted straight-forwarded
action, Peckinpah just couldn't take it seriously and wanted satire. It lacks harmony.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »

Releases in other countries from the same 4k restoration source are expected:

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »

Ok - so it seems like this might not be from the recent 4K restoration...

https://forum.spaghetti-western.net/t/blu-ray-latest-and-upcoming-releases/660/1833?u=novecento

Weird... I suppose we'll have to wait a little longer for that  Sad

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22286

Next year is what they claim for a release and its being noted as a 2k restoration.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:30 AM »

Releases in other countries from the same 4k restoration source are expected:

I'm working on that one right now Smiley.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »

I'm working on that one right now Smiley.

Mike -do you have any info on why they are giving us a blu-ray based on 2k restoration when a Franco-Italian 4k restoration was completed recently? Since a BD based on the 4k version is likely going to be released, why is anyone going to buy this one? Can they not get their hands on the recent 4k restoration?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »

This sounds promising:

https://www.screendaily.com/news/film-movement-acquires-1968-western-the-great-silence-exclusive/5123495.article

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

No, first time I work with that label. Don't know them really...

I suppose the 4K is not available yet & expensive as well (if it's available at all that is...)

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

Mike -do you have any info on why they are giving us a blu-ray based on 2k restoration when a Franco-Italian 4k restoration was completed recently? Since a BD based on the 4k version is likely going to be released, why is anyone going to buy this one? Can they not get their hands on the recent 4k restoration?

4K IS A MEANINGLESS designation. Unless you are watching on a full sized THEATRICAL movie screen you will not notice any difference in quality. 2k = 4k on a television  monitor

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »

4K IS A MEANINGLESS designation. Unless you are watching on a full sized THEATRICAL movie screen you will not notice any difference in quality. 2k = 4k on a television  monitor

I think you're confusing the capabilities of your hardware with the quality of a restoration. The 4k designation is referring to the quality of the 4k restoration which, if transferred correctly, will be apparent on whatever set-up you have in your home regardless. The better the source the better your home video experience. A terrible transfer on Blu-ray will look a lot worse than a great transfer on DVD for example.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »

No, first time I work with that label. Don't know them really...

Hey Mike - this was posted over at the Spaghetti Western Database:

Looks like the upcoming Grande Silenzio BluRay will get an audio commentary by Mike Siegel... And a scan of Mikes personal 35mm print which they call the Grindhouse version :wink:

The updated extras are

Bonusmaterial:
Alternatives Ende; Trailer; 20-seitiges Booklet; Audiokommentar von Filmhistoriker Mike Siegel; Grindhouse-Fassung (HD-Abtastung einer seltenen deutschen 35mm Kinokopie von 1969); Filming Silenzio; Promoting Silenzio (ca. 9 Min.); Silenzio in Pictures (ca. 7 Min.); zahlreiche fremdsprachige Bonus-Featurues (OmU);

What is so different about your print that it necessitates a separate version of the film on the disc? Does this go back to that whole aspect ratio question?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2017, 02:56:50 AM »

No, just a little bonus gift. Before that Blu-ray was announced, some friends at another forum were so tired
of those old DVD's that we all threw in some dineros and we scanned my 35mm print, just for us...

Now it is just interesting to compare the look of the two masters - the new one for the Blu-ray,
and my 1969 print, which represents the look the film had when it played in theaters. Because
you almost never get the old 35mm theatrical-print-look on modern HD masters.
Just a gag... (the print isn't very good: scratches and missing/damaged scenes. But the colors
are still all there.). It has slightly more picture information - but only due to the fact that I masked
my Apple ProRes to achieve maximum image information (don't caring if unwanted stuff pops up
occasionally at the image border area...)

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2017, 07:02:42 AM »

Cool - that sounds like it will make an interesting comparison.

How are things looking in terms of English audio?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »

Not on this release. A '69 dubbing doesn't exist anyway...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM