Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  ( 117023 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #360 : January 24, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »

Maybe the upcoming US blu-ray will include some of the supplements I produced for the German release...

May we assume you left the word "maybe" in there just to tease us? Or are you still negotiating?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #361 : January 25, 2018, 03:07:36 AM »

I was never into "teasing", 'consider it a waste of time :).

Let's see... (I don't have THAT much to offer anyway, there's isn't
much to produce about SILENZIO, not much available, and my audio-commentary
is in German anyway.)

But I finished supplements for the upcoming Kino Lorber FISTFUL blu-ray,
and CROSS OF IRON will finally be released in the USA as well with
my 2 hours of supplements this year...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #362 : January 25, 2018, 03:38:45 AM »

What are you talking about? I'm fairly new to the board...

Mike has made numerous documentaries http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1964589/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_2

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #363 : January 25, 2018, 07:24:05 AM »

Mike has made numerous documentaries http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1964589/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_2

Cool. I like that.  Great to have his resources and knowledge available on the forum...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #364 : January 25, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

WOW!  What did i just see?  I couldn't wait on the Film Movement release, so i went ahead and watched a bad copy on Youtube.  Where do i begin? Let me start by saying this is the RAWEST western i've ever seen. I don't count those Quentin Tarantino horrorfests disguised as westerns.  This was a RAW western.  THIS is what i've been looking for in the "spaghetti western" genre.  No parody or comedy here, in fact, its as real as you can get.

There is soo much going on here that i'm trying to slow down and get a grip on where i wanna start.  Lets start with " Silence ".  I'm not ashamed to say that Silence might be the greatest protagonist i've yet to see in a western.  I've always felt that Harmonica was the baddest, but Silence might be better.  In that bar scene, when Silence cleared it out, that was singlehandedly the greatest shoot out by one man i've yet to see.  I'm still shocked by it.

The Director, Sergio Corbucci did some things in this movie that even today, you might not see.  The interracial affair that Silence was in.  Back in 1968, that was huge.  The ending. The ending.  The ending alone is one of the rawest and pure things i've EVER seen on film.  This is a masterpiece.  No wonder people haven't heard of this film.  I love Leone, but this makes Leone look tame.   The film doesn't pretend, ANYWHERE, to be other than what it is.  It hits you hard.

Klaus Kinski. He graduated from just one of the gang, to a real Loco in this one.  Excellent performance.  Frank Wolff gave a great performance as the sheriff.  Vonetta Mcgee was excellent as Silence's lover.  Luis Pistilli was great as usual.  The casting was superb in this film.  The dubbing wasn't that bad either.

Like i said earlier, i saw a bad copy of this.  I can't wait till the Film Movement release.  I can tell the cinematography is gonna be great.  Speaking of that,  its plain as day that Quentin Tarantino got most of his elements for Hateful Eight straight from this movie here. The whole snow scenario.  The stage coach. The sheriff.  Loco and his gang.

The musical score was PERFECT.  Morricone did it AGAIN.  What really stands out here is the fact that its very different than the work he has done in other westerns, but similar at the same time.

This is a masterpiece. It IMMEDIATELY jumps into my top 5 western of all time.   I gotta let this marinate a little, lol. Whereas Death Rides a Horse is the closest to what Leone has done in that genre,  this movie here is on a different level.  Its different.  A masterpiece...

Cinematography- 2 points Even with a bad copy, i can tell the film is beautiful to look at.

Musical Score- 2 points.  Already one of my favorite Morricone scores.

Acting- 2 points.  It was soo good, i could overlook the dubbing.

Plot-  2 points. Excellent.  The plot was very similar to Death Rides A Horse.

Directing- 2 points.  Corbucci created a masterpiece.  

10 out of 10 and only the 4th film that i have given that rating to soo far. ( pre 1970).

I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie but I think the main source for The Hateful 8 had to be De Toth's Day of the Outlaw. It probably influenced Corbucci as well.

I also don't think it's fair to say Leone's westerns look tame in comparison when he was never trying to make a movie like Silence.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Moorman

« #365 : January 25, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »

I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie but I think the main source for The Hateful 8 had to be De Toth's Day of the Outlaw. It probably influenced Corbucci as well.

I also don't think it's fair to say Leone's westerns look tame in comparison when he was never trying to make a movie like Silence.

There are TONS of references on the web about how Tarantino took inspiration from The Great Silence for Hateful Eight. He has even being quoted as saying that.

http://lwlies.com/articles/quentin-tarantino-the-great-silence/

As far as Leone goes, i'm in no way detracting from his films. In fact, i currently have one of them as my number one western of all time, ( The Great Silence is pushing it up there).  They are very different in tone.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #366 : January 26, 2018, 04:53:15 AM »

and CROSS OF IRON will finally be released in the USA as well with
my 2 hours of supplements this year...

About time! I'm assuming the transfer will be the same? I've been enjoying my UK release for years now.

By the way, over at the Peckinpah forums, my theory is that "Riders of Vengeance" is "The Raiders" from 1952. Also "The Osterman Weekend" was just released on BD in Japan and is apparently not stellar but much better than the Anchor Bay BD debacle.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #367 : January 26, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »

There are TONS of references on the web about how Tarantino took inspiration from The Great Silence for Hateful Eight. He has even being quoted as saying that.

http://lwlies.com/articles/quentin-tarantino-the-great-silence/

As far as Leone goes, i'm in no way detracting from his films. In fact, i currently have one of them as my number one western of all time, ( The Great Silence is pushing it up there).  They are very different in tone.

I'm not saying there aren't any similarities or references, but the plot and setting are much closer to Day of the Outlaw and even the towns are similar. Also, QT never publicly admits if there's truly a strong connection to another movie: City on Fire -> Reservoir Dogs, Vamp -> From Dusk Til Dawn, et al.

The Hateful 8 is pretty much a Tarantinoized combination of an Agatha Christie novel + Day of the Outlaw.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #368 : January 27, 2018, 02:33:58 AM »

About time! I'm assuming the transfer will be the same? I've been enjoying my UK release for years now.

By the way, over at the Peckinpah forums, my theory is that "Riders of Vengeance" is "The Raiders" from 1952. Also "The Osterman Weekend" was just released on BD in Japan and is apparently not stellar but much better than the Anchor Bay BD debacle.

I feel slightly guilty about OSTERMAN. I never liked it much and maybe watched the DVD once in 15 years. I have a nice 35mm print which I screened twice - that is about enough :). Thanks for the note, I'll get that one... (what gives you the idea it is THE RAIDERS? I have no time to research right know, but I can't remember Sam already wrote feature scripts on spec back in 1952. I'd say he started later. Interesting.)

Moorman

« #369 : January 27, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »

Speaking of Day of the Outlaw, i saw the last few scenes of that and thought it was pretty good.  Gonna try and review the whole film. Thanks...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #370 : January 27, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »

The Hateful 8 is pretty much a Tarantinoized combination of an Agatha Christie novel + Day of the Outlaw.

;D not a bad analysis

I feel slightly guilty about OSTERMAN. I never liked it much and maybe watched the DVD once in 15 years. I have a nice 35mm print which I screened twice - that is about enough :). Thanks for the note, I'll get that one...

The Peckinpah cut plays better. I just wish there was a decent print of it. Mike - I nominate you to create a custom version along the lines of OUATIA by using inferior quality scenes from the Peckinpah version in a a theatrical version re-cut to match the way Peckinpah originally had it.

what gives you the idea it is THE RAIDERS? I have no time to research right know, but I can't remember Sam already wrote feature scripts on spec back in 1952. I'd say he started later. Interesting.)

Well "The Raiders" also apparently went by the name "Riders of Vengeance" and Peckinpah has been written about so much that the fact that no-one seems to have mentioned this screenplay before makes it quite probable it was something he was involved in before he became a known name

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #371 : January 28, 2018, 04:07:56 AM »

Sorry, the days are over I had the time to create "extended versions". Although SORCERER I might do all over again, this time in HD...

SCRIPT: I'm sure 90% that Sam did not write scripts before 1955 (and then only two-three reelers). RIDERS OF VENGEANCE is such
a mediocre title, it could be a 30s Monogram western, or anything for that matter. Probably a working title or something like that.
But still very interesting. What puzzles me is that my colleagues in the US never came across it anywhere (or at least did not
mention it in any of the books).

Moorman

« #372 : February 13, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »

FINALLY!!! Some solid information from Film Movement on their release date.  The theatrical release will be March 30th at the Film Forum in New York.  Their website lists previous screenings in several cities, but the information i garnered is that the New York release is the official theatrical release.  The DVD and Blu Ray will be released in May.  Both will be available from Film Movement at their website and from Amazon.

https://www.filmmovement.com/theatrical/index.asp?MerchandiseID=576

SYNOPSIS
On an unforgiving, snow swept frontier, a group of bloodthirsty bounty hunters, led by the vicious Loco (Klaus Kinski Nosferatu, For a Few Dollars More) prey on a band of persecuted outlaws who have taken to the hills. As the price on each head is collected one-by-one, only a mute gunslinger named Silence (Jean-Louis Trintignant The Conformist) stands between the innocent refuges and the greed and corruption that the bounty hunters represent. But, in this harsh, brutal world, the lines between right and wrong aren't always clear and good doesn't always triumph. Featuring superb photography and a haunting score from maestro Ennio Morricone, director Sergio Corbucci's bleak, brilliant and violent vision of an immoral, honorless west is widely considered to be among the very best and most influential Euro-Westerns ever made.

DIRECTOR AND CAST
Director: Sergio Corbucci
Featuring: Klaus Kinski
Featuring: Jean-Louis Trintignant
Supporting: Vonetta McGee

« : February 13, 2018, 11:21:34 AM Moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #373 : February 13, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »

Thanks  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #374 : February 14, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »

Good news indeed!

: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines