Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2018, 11:46:03 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  ( 122456 )
Moorman

« #375 : February 14, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »

The only thing i don't like is it will be in Italian with English subtitles. Doesn't that half defeat the purpose of getting the rights to bring the film to North America?  I rather they get the Fantoma version and release it WITH the Italian version.  I just can't get into subtitled movies... :-[

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #376 : February 14, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »

Even the blu-ray won't have audio options? Surely an English territory blu-ray will be able to secure the rights to English audio? The English dubbing on TGS is actually pretty good and we get to hear Frank Wolff's and Vonetta McGee's (I think?) own voices too.

Moorman

« #377 : February 14, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »

Even the blu-ray won't have audio options? Surely an English territory blu-ray will be able to secure the rights to English audio? The English dubbing on TGS is actually pretty good and we get to hear Frank Wolff's and Vonetta McGee's (I think?) own voices too.

We probably will not get the final answer until the film is released. I'm like you, how can they release the Blu Ray without the audio options?  They HAVE to or like i said,  its a wasted effort to secure the rights.  The film would remain almost as obscure as it always has been.  There is no way i can see them paying up to get the rights and not securing the English Dub version.  If they did, it was a big mistake. I did a double take when i saw the listing on their website that plainly says that it is in Italian with English subtitles...

« : February 14, 2018, 01:32:54 PM Moorman »
Moorman

« #378 : March 10, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »

The GREATEST Western EVER.   I let this marinate for a while and yes, thats my opinion.  Even better than Once Upon a Time in the West...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #379 : March 21, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23048

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #380 : April 05, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »

Miss Hungary is in town, visiting from Florida. First time I've seen her in 2.5 years. After visiting MoMA, I suggested we see a movie. Her reply, "Let's go to an art theater"!  :-* So we went to Film Forum, and I finally saw The Great Silence. For all the accolades I've been hearing about it around here, it was pretty underwhelming. But Miss Hungary ain't no sissy; she's all for Westerns and violence. We've got the same tastes in one or two things ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #381 : April 05, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »

Miss Hungary is in town, visiting from Florida. First time I've seen her in 2.5 years. After visiting MoMA, I suggested we see a movie. Her reply, "Let's go to an art theater"!  :-* So we went to Film Forum, and I finally saw The Great Silence. For all the accolades I've been hearing about it around here, it was pretty underwhelming. But Miss Hungary ain't no sissy; she's all for Westerns and violence. We've got the same tastes in one or two things ...

O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #382 : April 05, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »

So we went to Film Forum, and I finally saw The Great Silence. For all the accolades I've been hearing about it around here, it was pretty underwhelming.

Wow... well aside from Leone, at least we can still agree on "A River Runs Through it"

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #383 : April 09, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »

Film Movements Blu Ray is out on june 5th.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BZC5KDP?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1523290440&sr=1-89&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A9397930011%7C2650305011&tag=blurayforum-20

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #384 : April 09, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »

Can't wait to learn about the quality of the HD master...

Unfortunately they weren't interested in picking up my audio-commentary & supplements
from the German Blu-ray...  Maybe in England one day :).

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #385 : April 09, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »

Film Movements Blu Ray is out on june 5th.

Italian and English audio options too. Gotta start saving my pennies - hopefully it will come down in price a little.

Unfortunately they weren't interested in picking up my audio-commentary & supplements
from the German Blu-ray...  Maybe in England one day :).

The fools - ah well. Wasn't your commentary in German though? Or were you planning to re-record it for them? I would have liked to see the scan of your 35mm print though.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #386 : April 10, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »

Yes, I'd have recorded it in English - the hard work (research) was done already anyway :).
I hope the ARROW releases (just recorded the SARTANA audio commentary) will
be a success, then more might follow :).

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #387 : April 10, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »

The price should come down yes. Same with the Sartana 5 film set. Arrow have the two Ringo films out now too.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #388 : April 11, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »

I hope so. I'm really only interested in purchasing "The Great Silence" myself. I find the Spaghetti Western genre fascinating, but Leone/Corbucci/Hossein/Sollima aside, there are very few SW films that I would actually want to have in my collection for multiple viewings (O Cangaceiro and Tepepa are a couple that come to mind however)

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #389 : April 12, 2018, 04:22:57 AM »

What about Colizzi?

And you should try some of the weirder films.

El puro is a very special recommendation. And Canevari's Matalo! has some amazing stuff in it. Requiem para el Gringo (aka Duel in the Eclipse) uses effectively the flashback structure of Kobayashi's Harakiri. There are more ...

Actually I found more interesting Spags than I thought when I digged deeper into the sub-genre.

: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines