Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:19:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Silence aka Il grande silenzio (1968)  (Read 97432 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 09:29:12 AM »

In Once/America Brega played Mandy (never called by name though) in a bit part at the very beginning, as one of the hoods trying to track down Noodles.  He has no beard there either, and is quite a bit thinner than in the Leone westerns.  You may need to stop-action freeze-frame.  A while back, someone posted a still on the board of this.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »

I've watched it twice more now and it does grow on you, its a different and a more graffic style for sure, and if you take the raggedy outlaw scenario with a grain of salt, its a good spaghetti. Morricone's music also lingers in your mind.

It is a great Klaus Kinsky part, and if you liked his bit part in FADM you'll get a kick out of him here.

1 - In the interview on the dvd, Alex Cox claims that most people consider this to be the best spaghetti ever, better than Leone's. I've never seen it on any critics lists or anything like that, who is Alex talking about?

2 - I often have a hard time recognising Mario Brega without the beard. Who was he in this film? The guy who burnt Trintignant's hand? And by the way, who was Brega in "Once Upon A Time In America"?

Cusser's right Brega's at the beginning of OUTIA and he's Pollycut's assitant in TGS who burns Silent's hand.

As for Alex Cox, I think he's he's speaking to or for afficianado's of Spaghetti Westerns. A lot of people consider Leone a notch above your average Spag. For Example even Pocket Essentials "Spaghetti Westerns" considers Leone's OUTITW a "classic western", and not a Spag, lol.

TGS was a very shocking and different take on the genre for its time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 03:58:03 AM »

I knew Brega's name was Mandy in OUATIA, and figured he probably was one of the hoods in the beginning. Now I know for sure. Thanks.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »

Brega looks completely different from his roles in the dollars trilogy. he plays the big fat one who says 'stay here with this barrel of shit' (regarding fat moe). He obviously learnt to speak his english lines unlike in dollars films.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 01:56:21 PM »

Posted on: February 12, 2004, 07:36:41 PM
Im sorry but i love The Great Silence. It was hyped to death for me. I had a friend bang on about it for a year.

But still it delivered something unqiue from Leone's world.
Jean Lous Trintignant is fantastic. And what a sucker punch ending.   I was reeling for 2 days after a first viewing.

OK ok i like Mauser Bolo pistols as well.    Grin

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2004, 05:26:20 PM »

got great silence imported from canada (im in bedford, uk) and i wasnt expecting a lot given the unjustified hype of django.

But it was brilliant. Though there were a few django-esque moments of appalling dialogue, the cinematography, the acting, the political unertones and the direction were all inspired.

before the great silence my theory was:

spaghetti western

minus sergio leone

equals so many lives wasted so badly

but it has to be rewritten: the Great Silence was fantastic.

PS Mario Brega played Martin, one of Policutt's hoods who burns Silence's hands.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 02:27:41 PM »

I have recently ordered about 10 non-leone spag. westerns using the the "top 20 non-leone" spag. westerns as a guide.  I have seen Django, Django Kill, A Bullet for the General, Campanerios, Death Rides A Horse, Mannaja, Run Man Run and The Great Silence so far.  I have enjoyed all except Django and Django Kill which are far overated.  The DVD for Death Rides a Horse is horrible and detracted from the movie.  It looks like it is a DVD of the movie being shown on TV.  The Great Silence was my favorite so far.  The cinematography is fantastic and the opening sequence was great.  It reminded me of the lust for the gold sequence at the end of GBU with Tuco running through the graveyard.   I still have Texas Adios, Keoma and one other to watch.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 02:51:23 PM »

I also watched Four of the Apocolypse which is simply horrible.  Non-sensical, meandering and pointless.  Don't waste your time.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 07:37:47 PM »

rddesq,
Thanks for the heads up on what to avoid, I'm thinking of getting a few more non-Leone spags myself. Let me know how Keoma is, I've seen 180 degree opposite calls on it. A lot of folks were turned off by the music, though some comapred it to Leonard Cohen in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" which was ok in my book.
I got a copy of "Death Rides a Horse" on video grabed from cable its passable, not great. I wish they would put "The Big Gundown" on a R1 DVD.

Let us know what Texas Adios is like too, thanks.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2004, 03:22:39 AM »

CJ, have any of you guys tried Netflix?  If a movie's been put on DVD, they have it in stock.  Your local video store is definitely not going to carry esoteric stuff like the spag's.

I rented "Bullet for the General" through them...well, let me just say that I'm glad I didn't buy it.  The madman Indio is the lead, and he looks really dissolute - you can tell he had some issues fighting with the bottle, he kind of mailed in this performance.  The movie had some pretty high production values though, it's beautifully shot.  I've got a few other spag's in the queue.  I think Django, some Trinity's & Great Silence are available.  My wife can't wait to watch these  Roll Eyes

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2004, 03:24:22 AM »

Oh - forgot to mention.  Netflix also has "Terror in a Texas Town"...be still my heart!

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 08:30:52 AM »

I recently saw Keoma in a cult cinema club and .. sorry.. jeeez.. I don't know what to say other than .. that it's cult doesn't mean it's good - and this one sucks big time. A few good effects and that's it. Stay away from it would be my advice.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2004, 04:31:05 AM »

must warn u general sibley

Django's really not that great

i agree with blueberry just cos its cult it doesnt mean its any good

ok, there's some stylish cool touches like the gun in the coffin and django's whole persona

but, theres no plot, the dubbings atrocious, the dialogue is at times laughable, the violence is comic-book, and the best bits are stolen from fistful...im guessing most spaghettis r like this.

The Great Silence is much much better...Corbucci seems to have learnt a lot since Django and hes got better actors (Trintignant, Kinski and Pistilli) at his disposal.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2004, 07:57:16 AM »

must warn u general sibley

Django's really not that great

Oh no, now what  Undecided  The other spag's are pretty far down in my queue, after Bullet for the General I'm not in a big rush to go for the full marinara sauce immersion.  It was a struggle to sit through that movie, I might have to sedate myself with painkillers before I watch the next one.

After watching a couple of these non-Leone spag's you begin to understand why it took so long for Leone to get his proper critical respect.  Some of these movies are so unbelievably bad that the entire genre got a well-deserved reputation as rubbish.   Took quite a while for the stench to wear off.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »

put it this way...if u count my name is nobody as a leone western, ive only seen one non-leone spaghetti western that i would class as a good film. and that is great silence. but i have yet to see sergio sollima's 'chase trilogy' (big gundown, face to face, run man run) which are supposed to be pretty good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM