Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:15:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  (Read 38114 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »

My horrible review of the film I posted on another site(it's hard for me to be articulate when talking about a movie I'm so excited about)... btw, i believe it's the best film of all time... oh and add the wonderful use of day-for-night cemetary footage to the similarities/inspirations with/of leone.

This is most definitely the darkest film ever made and it shouldn't go without saying that it's got a lot in common with my favorite book, moby dick, one of the darkest ever written. Warren Oates has maybe the best performance I've ever witnessed. He plays a man that falls in love with a whore, ruins her, rises from the grave, goes mad with obsession over a head, talks to a rotting head in a bloody bag, asks it questions, kills at least a dozen men and succeeds willing each death with his desperation, makes a choice and never turns back, and goes has no escape from life. I have to agree with the gentlemen who did the commentary on the dvd, benny grieves much longer than any other character in cinema. Usually the hero grieves for a moment, declares his method of revenge and goes on with it. Benny, however, slowly and painfully slips into hatred and aggression towards the obsession that ruined what little life he had left and is willed into deadly action by his desperation. This film has the essential no way out theme, there is no point in the movie for a good hour leading up to it's finale that the viewer can think to themselves "why doesn't he just (blank) and get away", there simply is no choice to be made but his decline into absolute despair. Peckinpah shooting a tragedy in the 'real' unpolished Mexico, smoking barrels, whole families blown away, buried alive, rising from the grave, no way out, and a whole lot of the darkest comedy you will ever see. The scenes in the graveyard, where everything that sets the second half of the film up happens, is so good and so daunting that I thought it couldn't possibly get any better than this, this has to be the bread and butter of the film. Benny is ambushed and left for dead half-buried alive and what directly follows is some of the most disturbing stuff I've ever seen. Well what follows the most-disturbing stuff is a no-way-out rambling road trip into despair that darkly mocks a 70's buddy movie(remember he talks to the rotting fly-ridden head in the bloody bag). Every second from the graveyard on is gripping, dark, funny, disturbing, and wholly expected at the same time. No one could have done such an anti-hollywood dirty, dark, and depressing film better than Peckinpah, and no one has since nor probably ever will.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 02:18:13 AM »

I watched this movie 30 years ago and wasn't so entusiastic, I thought it wasn't living it up to the wonderful title. After a good start, I found it was going nowhere and being unresolved. I think I watched it again on tv in the '80's and had the same impression, maybe even worse. But you folks are doing a great job of persuading me to watch it again. And of course I like W.O.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »

(remember he talks to the rotting fly-ridden head in the bloody bag).
The flies are a very nice touch. I like Sin City a lot, and it has that scene with Clive Owen in the car talking to a dead head (and the head answering back) but even Rodriguez and Tarantino didn't think to include the swarming flies. You gotta go to Peckinpah for that kind of detail.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 12:08:27 AM »

I watched this movie 30 years ago and wasn't so entusiastic, I thought it wasn't living it up to the wonderful title. After a good start, I found it was going nowhere and being unresolved. I think I watched it again on tv in the '80's and had the same impression, maybe even worse. But you folks are doing a great job of persuading me to watch it again. And of course I like W.O.

Well, don't know initially what to tell you, if I'd have seen this 30 years ago I probably might too have had a different impression.

40 years ago I was a Leone & Eastwood fanatic, then after Leone was surpressed by the suits here, I continued following Eastwood's re-incarnation and Americanization of the NWNN persona, so If I had seen this film (BMTHOAG) then I would not have paid it that much attention for the above reason (basically nobody was cooler than Eastwood) and once its time in the theaters had passed, it was off the radar screen, now with DVD I can re-evaluate all that I missed, and this was a big miss.

Living in Montana after growing up in NYC I was basically the classic "fish out of water" but that move began a love for the untidy parts of life, lifes loosers, the broken dreams, the ghost towns, the wrecking yards, the trailer parks, old pickup trucks, the cumbling saloons & lounges, the strip joints, seeing an off the wall John Waters "Pink Flamingo's" and the protagonnist's contest of going for the title of "The Filthiest People Alive", lol, the beauty even in decadence.

So here I am seeing "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia" for the first time as a stand alone film and the set up, of just prior to seeing it, of going through a round of Zapata Westerns from 1934 to 2004 followed by "The Treasure of The Sierra Madre" and then adding a dash of classical dark themed film Noir including Mitchum's "Out of The Past". Then on top of all that being a big fan of the neo noir films of David Lynch, and then add latest Kill Bill's and Sin City to the cinematic mix, so I was primed so to speak, for it.

I see BMTHOAG, and realize what an ahead of its time decadent masterpiece, a great genre blend of Western, Spaghetti Western, Road Trip, and Noir this film was.

The flies are a very nice touch. I like Sin City a lot, and it has that scene with Clive Owen in the car talking to a dead head (and the head answering back) but even Rodriguez and Tarantino didn't think to include the swarming flies. You gotta go to Peckinpah for that kind of detail.

Yes the flies, lol, you know how  crazy Bennie was just for the fact that any sane person would have put the top down on the convertible, lol

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »

Well, don't know initially what to tell you, if I'd have seen this 30 years ago I probably might too have had a different impression.

Granted. But this may work (or at least works like this with me) with arthouse movies (when you have to be grown up to understand certain themes: it happened to me recently with 8 and 1\2, that didn't occupy before an high position in my personal Fellini list. Now it's on top with I vitelloni). With entertainment movies it is unlikely that what didn't entertain me as a teenager it will as an adult. I haven't classified this movie in my memory basically as an arthouse, but as an action movie. But, as said, the fact that so many people here are so enthusiastic about it has persuaded me to give it another try. 

40 years ago I was a Leone & Eastwood fanatic, then after Leone was surpressed by the suits here,

Uhh? I thought that Leone wasn't suppressed in USA but went undistributed at the start. How things really went? And then, by the time Eastwood started making western in USA (with the possible exception of Hang 'em High), hadn't the Leones been  regularly distributed?

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 05:29:28 AM »

Nice to see this one getting the attention it deserves. Saw this when the DVD came out, had to see it again with cigars and whiskey some time later. Hell, I've even seen it with the commentary track. Peckinpah's greatest, better that Wild Bunch IMO.

In his debut, The Deadly Companion, the protagonist is riding around with a dead body. Peckinpah wanted flies to be buzzing around the corpse, but the studio wouldn't let him do it. This was his sweet revenge...

Oh, and by the way, Warren Oates might actually be a cooler SOB than Clint.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 06:17:34 AM »

Uhh? I thought that Leone wasn't suppressed in USA but went undistributed at the start. How things really went? And then, by the time Eastwood started making western in USA (with the possible exception of Hang 'em High), hadn't the Leones been  regularly distributed?

In theaters no surpression at first just almost universally critically panned. But usually after the theatrical run popular films were shown on TV, as movies of the week etc., etc., which wasn't the case at first. It was a few years before ABC first telivised AFOD and then they addeda propaganda preamble filmed to suggest that Joe was a prisoner let out of prison to act as a government agent to clean up San Miguel.

Somebody find the lag, AFOD first came out in 1967 when did ABC first air it?

Once Eastwood was back here making films all the publicity when to him and not much was heard of Leone in the popular press.

OUTITW was butcherd as so was OUTIA, upon first release here. Don't remember what happened to DYS. During the 1970's I didn't watch a lot of TV.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 07:23:34 AM »

In Italy the 5 westerns weren't aired until the '90's.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 02:42:45 AM »

In Italy the 5 westerns weren't aired until the '90's.
What the hell DO you pay your taxes for?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »

Consider that they were aired by public television without any spot interruption (or maybe just one at half time). Each movie was preceded by a short Leone interview and the versions were those theatrically released. All in all it was worth all the waiting for. But, I'll add, I could easily do without the airing and the dvd and the rest given the chance to watch them on the big screen again. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 05:32:20 AM »

HERE HERE!, LOL!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 07:47:22 PM »

Hey, titoli, is that Kinski you're using as your avatar?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 11:07:36 PM »

yep.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 02:09:13 AM »

Way cool, dude!

KERMIT
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 04:05:12 AM »

isela vega, the "romantic" lead seams to have difficulty keeping her clothes on.  her constant, methodical disrobing is about as sexy and provocative as a peephole view at a women's wrestling team locker room.
everytime she gets into a motel room----WHAM ! off w/ the clothes. when krisistofferson comes to rape her, zip, zip ! -- off comes the blouse.  her behavior, one would think, should make bennie just a little suspicious of his honeybunch, but perhaps he's already so infatuated w/ the cranium he's after that he just dosn't notice, lol

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM