Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:52:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  (Read 37405 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 10:09:01 PM »

isela vega, the "romantic" lead seams to have difficulty keeping her clothes on. 
You make that sound like it's a BAD thing, lol.

Actually, you've put your finger on a very interesting element of the film. What is up with this character? Why is she with Benny in the first place? And why, when KK starts to lose interest in the rape, does she actually chase after him and entice him? I don't have the answers, but I think these things make the girl an interesting character, and I'm sure she is based on one or more real life models that Peckinpah knew. SP gets credit for understanding male psychology, but he also had an insight into women, at least certain types.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 11:19:26 PM »

its a film about loosers, she's as lost as he is.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »

Just out in Japan is a 2-disc SE of BMTHOAG. Before anyone gets too excited let me just say that the second disc is the soundtrack album (worth having, to be sure). The movie disc is pretty much what you get on the US release except you have an option for 5.1 sound and you can hear the film dubbed in Japanese (can be funny). The picture transfer looks like the same one used on the American disc.

The other extras have to do with the packaging. Instead of a crappy keepcase, you get a nice gate-folding digipack that comes in a paper slipcase. You get a booklet (in Japanese) AND a digest sized reproduction of the original Japanese movie program (16 pages, some in color) and reproductions of 2 advertising flyers.
Why we can't get this kind of treatment in the States is beyond me.

As nice as this release is, I don't think there will be too much demand for it by board members: the thing costs just under 5,000 yen (tax in) on the local market. It's a lot to spend on a slight upgrade, yet, somehow, I was able to find the will to do it.

BTW, re-watching the film, I noticed a couple of cameos in Bennie's bar at the beginning. That Haber woman is there, but also I noticed Richard Bright. Hey, Groggy, you got a copy of this film yet?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 05:07:49 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Dave. It's a film that I definatly need to see (spurned on by the Peckinpah Westerns doco included on the new Wild Bunch SE which whetted my appetite quite a bit) and I'll probably go and buy this.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 05:39:37 AM »

If you like the Neo-Noir/Spaghetti Western/surreal mix it will definitely rise to one of your faves.  Cool

It did mine.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »

If you like the Neo-Noir/Spaghetti Western/surreal mix

You know I do  Grin . Sounds excellent. Will have to buy now.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 01:29:32 AM »

Watched this last night-one of the most overhyped and tedious movies i've ever seen.I fell asleep halfway through and had to backtrack to see it all the way through-the first half of the film is really dreary and badly drags and the conclusion not much better.Why does Peckinpah persist in prolonging the boredom by slowing down every killing in the film?
I was very disappointed in Warren Oates tiresome self pitying character after having seen him in brilliant form pitting himself against LVC in Barquero.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 02:58:21 AM »

Watched this last night-one of the most overhyped and tedious movies i've ever seen.I fell asleep halfway through and had to backtrack to see it all the way through-the first half of the film is really dreary and badly drags and the conclusion not much better.Why does Peckinpah persist in prolonging the boredom by slowing down every killing in the film?
I was very disappointed in Warren Oates tiresome self pitying character after having seen him in brilliant form pitting himself against LVC in Barquero.

HA HA HA HA HEE HEE! Great Banjo! you never cease to amaze me on how much you hate Peckinpah. I honestly don't see what all the hype surrounding "The Wild Bunch" is all about really and I can't shake the feeling that "Bring me the head..." doesn't fare much better. I have an oppertunity to see it soon, hopefully it's at least half way decent.

From what I've read about it, it seems like my cup of tea.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 05:30:24 AM »

lol, its got a sleaze factor that you either like or don't like, if you like David Lynch flicks you should like this, 

For me my life in Montana in the early seventies was very similar, and I knew a lot of sleaze balls, lol.

Tim
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »

I really liked Warren Oates as Benny, thought it was one of his best roles because he is channelling Peckinpah.  Of course, I am a Bloody Sam fan so I enjoy just about everything of his.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 10:46:01 AM »

Just recently came across Roger Ebert's take on this film. He goes on and on about it, it's obviously one of his faves. He actually has some insightful things to say, for once.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20011028/REVIEWS08/110280301/1023

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 06:25:15 PM »

nice find thanks.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »

you never cease to amaze me on how much you hate Peckinpah.
Not really as i've had Cross Of Iron on tape for years which i consider his best film.I'm a pacifist and Peckinpah has quite alot to say about the evils of war here plus James Coburn is in one of the best roles i've seen him in.
Straw Dogs is a pretty good movie.
I also like Ride The High Country which is a very touching homage to westerns.
Alfredo Garcia is preferable to that other yawn- fest Pat Garrett  & Billy The Kid and i'm gonna give Wild Bunch another look shortly.
I admit i was not very objective in the hammering i gave Peckinpahs later westerns in  an earlier thread but it was no worse than some of the stick Eastwood took for his westerns,and for the record i feel that Peckinpahs westerns are as lacking in the convincing villain stakes as Clints,so there! Grin

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 09:28:05 AM by banjo » Logged
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »

I see something in common between Bennie and the dudes of "The Wild Bunch". They all head for self destruction. I see some beauty there. I think Peckinpah understood the kabuki-like aesthetics and pathos of destruction. The catharsis in those explosive endings are the essence of both films. The path that leads to its climax in each film is rather long, but it's worth it. 

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

Straw Dogs is a pretty good movie.

I enjoy "Straw Dogs" as well but it's difficult for me to take the climax seriously because I can't help but think of the climax to the family film "Home Alone".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM