Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:51:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  (Read 38146 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2004, 12:18:01 PM »

Since we've been talking about Peckinpaugh quite a bit lately,  wanted to give a headsup that Alfredo Garcia is on the western channel tonight.  This is my favorite Peck movie, surrealistic and quite deranged.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 01:50:27 PM »

never seen this film: heard its one of those love or hate films, only seen The Wild Bunch and The Ballad of Cable Hogue of Peckinpah, still dont think he's as original or as good as Leone.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 10:14:11 PM »

Finally saw this in its entirety on the westen channel. Was always impressed with the spots of it I have seen and really enjoyed seeing it start to finish. Violent and dark, my kind of film. I always thought 2 Lane Blacktop was Oates best performance but now I am not so sure. Definitely needs a widescreen dvd R1 release.

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 04:14:59 AM »

I don't get "The Western Channel".  Sad

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:31 AM »

Violent and dark, my kind of film.

A kindred spirit!

Didn't get home till late so I only caught the last 15 minutes - but that's a damn cool ending  Cool

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:59:33 PM »

waren oats ( to the head of alfredo gracia rolling around in the car seat ) : "al, it wasn't your fault. i'm sorry".  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 11:36:02 AM by KERMIT » Logged
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »

Just found out about this one!
Another little gem from MGMs archive thats getting a US DVD release.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006TPDPM/102-3290660-5122502?v=glance

released on March 22, 2005

It has been available in a Asian DVD
for quite a while on the Stingray/MGM label,
Known for some slightly pricey Spaghetti Westerns
(The Mercenary, Navajo Joe, Death Rides A Horse, etc). 
So maybe they could follow suit in the states soon.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:23:56 PM by The Smoker » Logged

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 04:13:39 PM »

This is a very DIFFICULT film to sit thru.
Little coherence, almost hallucinatory, with Warren Oates PLAYING Sam Peckinpah.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:01:25 PM »

This is a very DIFFICULT film to sit thru.
Little coherence, almost hallucinatory, with Warren Oates PLAYING Sam Peckinpah.
In that case, count me in!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 12:00:46 PM »

Good Film. It's Just like The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and The Good The Bad and The Ugly. BMHOAG is an ugly(ugly Meaning difficult to watch) film about Greed. Warren Oates is a PIMP!!!  Grin

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »

one of the greatest endings of all time... one of the best movies I've ever seen... Benny: "hell, I've never been any place I wanted to go back to"

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 11:10:31 PM »

Update: Wow! How the F*ck did this gem pass under my radar screen. *

Picked up this DVD from Amazon and this film is a definite classic. I would even venture that its a Masterpiece.

Peckinpah's Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) updates the anti-hero from the traditions of Huston's "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", Bogart's "Casablanca", Mitchum's mercenary in Mexico flicks,  Leone's & Eastwood's trilogy, Corbucci's "Zapata Westerns" and re-incarnates him as  "Benny" a decadent, gonzo, sleaze-ball piano bar owner cum looser, on a quest for a $10,000 bounty on the head of an old acquaintance.

What Eastwood & Leone did for "Joe, Manco & Blondie"... an unshaven face, a squint, a cigar, and a poncho. Peckinpah & Oates do for a hard drinking "Benny", bell-bottomed liesure suit, a mustache, and ridiculously large pair of shades, think of a "lounge lizard" Tom Waits who's very good with a pistol, on a bargain basement quest for a bit of immortality. 

Instead of a horse, Benny 's pimp mobile of choice is whatelse man...., a beat to sh*t mid 60's, oil burnnin', red Chey Impala convertible that's seen way better days, and leaves a contrail of blue smoke as it barrels Benny down the black tops and dirt tracks of rural Mexico straight down to hell.

What really elevates this film is the writting, Oates one liners and the absolutely great dialogs are really cool and unforgetable.

Benny can be elevated to the Pantheon of Anti-Heroes.

Its got a lot of refrences to SW iconography that cinematic memory magic is working in this flick, so we Leonistas will feel right at home in this updated version of the Western. There are enough plot twists, bizzare and surreal situations that even David Lynch devotees will get a kick out of this film, Bravo!

*oh yea, it came out during my wild ass days in Montana so I guess I was living a similar though peacfull lifestyle, lol Grin

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:52:34 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »

After watching two versions of PG&BTK and then about half of Cable Hogue this weekend, I had to put on some Peckinpah I could actually enjoy so I popped Alfredo Garcia into the player. I was just going to watch a couple of minutes to get a few chuckles, but I ended up going all the way through. And laughing all the way. (Was Robert Weber ever better?) Truly, truly a great film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »

Its a very good balanced story that has everything, and really shows what Peckinpah can craft out of a decadently bizzare idea. How can it miss.

I get a kick out of a few of the folks on IMDb that don't think it has enough action, like they expect slowmo shootouts every ten minutes. Its a perfect blend of all the ingrediences of a dark classic, with a lot of quirks and oddball twists to keep anybody with half a brain interested and it eaven has a tragic love story, (though I wouldn't consider it a date flick, lol) come on, what more could you want, lol.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:13:52 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 11:23:20 PM »

it eaven has a tragic love story, (though I wouldn't consider it a date flick, lol)

Well, I dunno. If you and yer gal are the kind that like to get shoved into a hole and covered with dirt, maybe this flick would be just the thing!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM