Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2024, 02:43:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  ( 74895 )
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #75 : November 19, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »

Cool, there's more discussion here about GARCIA than on the Peckinpah-sites....
Isela Vega told me greatsories for my Peckinpah-film about doing drugs with Oates. For ex. when she played the scene in the graveyard (buried) she was of course was expected to be 'dead' but she did some halucinating mushrooms with Oates before and was so stoned that she kept on talking and laughing - during the takes -, until Peckinpah really got fed up and shouted at her 'damn it Isela, shuuut up, you're dead, damn it..'

[/img]

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #76 : November 19, 2006, 01:40:05 PM »

Thanks Mike, your contributions are a pleasure, keep them coming.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #77 : December 10, 2006, 03:31:59 AM »

Alfredo Garcia's on ITV4 tonight after Wild Bunch and a Sam Peckinpah western documentary.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #78 : December 10, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »

Alfredo Garcia's on ITV4 tonight after Wild Bunch and a Sam Peckinpah western documentary.

I guess you'll be giving it a miss ::)

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #79 : July 23, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »

Ok, was doing a search for this and couldn't believe there was no separate topic:
So I'll paste what I wrote before below the particulars:

Dir. Sam Peckinpah and starring Warren Oates, Isela Vega, Robert Webber, Gig Young, Emilio Fernandez, Helmut Dantine,   Kris Kristofferson,  Chano Urueta, & Funky Donnie Fritts

Original post:

Update: Wow! How the F*ck did this gem pass under my radar screen. *

Picked up this DVD from Amazon and this film is a definite classic. I would even venture that its a Masterpiece.

Peckinpah's Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) updates the anti-hero from the traditions of Huston's "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", Bogart's "Casablanca", Mitchum's mercenary in Mexico flicks,  Leone's & Eastwood's trilogy, Corbucci's "Zapata Westerns" and re-incarnates him as  "Benny" a decadent, gonzo, sleaze-ball piano-player/tourist clip-joint bar owner cum looser, on a quest for a $10,000 bounty on the head of an old acquaintance.

What Eastwood & Leone did for "Joe, Manco & Blondie"... an unshaven face, a squint, a cigar, and a poncho. Peckinpah & Oates do for a hard drinking "Benny",  a bell-bottomed leisure suited mustachioed, small timer club owner wearing and ridiculously large pair of shades, that manage too look very cool. Think of a cross of between a lounge lizard and a used car salesman. a Tom Waits who's also surprisingly, very good with a pistol, on a bargain basement quest for a bit of immortality.  

Instead of a horse, Benny 's pimp mobile of choice is what-else man...., a beat to sh*t mid 60's, oil burnnin', red Chey Impala convertible that's seen way better days, and leaves a contrail of blue smoke as it barrels Benny down the black tops and dirt tracks of rural Mexico straight down on a decent into hell.

What really elevates this film is the writing, Oates' one liners and the absolutely great dialogs are really cool and unforgettable.

Benny can be elevated to the Pantheon of Anti-Heroes.

Its got a lot of references to Film Noir and Spaghetti Western iconography, that cinematic memory magic, is working in this flick, so we Western & Neo Noir aficionados will feel right at home in this updated version of the Western. There are enough plot twists, bizarre and surreal situations that any David Lynch, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and  Cohen Brothers fans will get a kick out of this film too, Bravo!

*oh yea, it came out during my wild ass days in Montana so I guess I was living a similar though peacfull lifestyle, lol

So I brought this down to my old high school buddy who lives in East Atlantic Beach on Long Beach Island and it litterally blew him away. He couldn't stop talking about how you never see films like this anymore and how things have gotten too PC. It was as if he'd been sleep walking through the last 30 years and had forgotten how different films used to be.

<spoilers>

He kept mentioning how you'd never see a scene like the "Bennie discovers he got the crabs after sleeping with Elita" sequence or the hero driving a beatup piece of sheet Chevy, or the hero looking like Warren Oates for that matter. He wife just cracked up over the  "turning Elita around so she can sleep eternally with the headless Al" grave sequence.

It was great seeing the light go on in his head. Try it out sometime.  O0

« : October 10, 2010, 08:23:15 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #80 : July 23, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »

actually there is but whatever.Once i get some money i am defiantly going to buy this as well as Five for Hell off xploitedcinema.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #81 : July 23, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

cigar. Wow, I am so happy you made a thread about this. It's one of my favorite films of all time. It's a bloody brilliant MASTERPIECE. It was Sam Peckinpah's F U to Hollywood. That's what they call it. It's a personal story from SAM. This was a time in his life that he was struggling with alcohol and was not happy but what he produced under these conditions is aboslutely mind blowing. Nobody should miss this one, especially if you're a fan of Sam or even the western genre. It's another western disguised as an urban tale. The film opens up and you think it's a full blown western set in the 1800's!

Also, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is heavely influenced by This great film.

« : July 23, 2007, 09:22:47 PM Tucumcari_Bound »

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #82 : July 23, 2007, 09:27:40 PM »

Yea I though of this when watching Three Burials.  O0

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #83 : July 23, 2007, 09:33:45 PM »

Yea I though of this when watching Three Burials.  O0

Yeah. When I watched Three Burials for the first time, I thought it closely resembled Bring Me The Head, so when I was done watching it, I went to IMDB and looked up film connections and there it was, Bring Me The Head was listed.

I don't agree with every critic but I do know for a fact that one of the biggest critics i the country at the time, a young Roger Ebert praised this film. I don't always agree with Roger but I'd have to say he hit the nail on the coffin with this one. The movie is definitely a flat out masterpiece. It really shows what a man will go through when he has lost a loved one, and has nothing left to live for. They say Warren Oates was playing Sam Peckinpah in this film. He modled his character after him. I've read a lot up on this film. Interesting stuff.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #84 : July 24, 2007, 12:32:37 AM »

Ok, was doing a search for this and couldn't believe there was no seperate topic:
Yeah that surprised me as well but i can only think we discussed before on a general Peckinpah thread.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #85 : July 24, 2007, 02:36:53 AM »

It's in my top 3 Peckinpah films. Warren Oates just ROCKS. And I love it - a very Sam-ishg massacre... madness... paranoia...  O0

I feel Melquiades Estrada is very like to this movie. Like they were brothers. I'll like to see them in a double-pack dvd - two masterpieces...

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #86 : July 24, 2007, 06:44:13 AM »

Yeah that surprised me as well but i can only think we discussed before on a general Peckinpah thread.

I think you're right Banjo. I do remember raving about this film here months back after I watched it for the first time. I'm pretty sure it was just on a Sam Peckinpah titled thread.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #87 : July 24, 2007, 09:05:06 AM »

Ok, was doing a search for this and couldn't believe there was no seperate topic:
Okay, and I'll repost the link to the Roger Ebert review (which thread did we do this all on before?): http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19740801/REVIEWS/401010307/1023

Say what you like about Ebert, the guy sometimes displays excellent taste.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #88 : July 24, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »

Okay, and I'll repost the link to the Roger Ebert review (which thread did we do this all on before?): http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19740801/REVIEWS/401010307/1023

Say what you like about Ebert, the guy sometimes displays excellent taste.

I agree jenkins. Once in awhile he's spot on as he was right here. Great review! Thanks for posting.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #89 : July 24, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »

dave jenkins. I'll just list the review here for everyone. Great read!

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia * * * * 4 stars.

BY ROGER EBERT
August 1, 1974

Sam Peckinpah's "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" is a weird, horrifying film that somehow transcends its unlikely material. It's the story of a drunken and violent odyssey across Mexico by a dropout bartender who, if he returns Alfredo Garcia's head, stands to be paid a million dollars. The head accompanies him in a burlap bag, tossed into the front seat of a beat-up old Ford convertible, and it gathers flies and symbolic meaning at about the same pace.

The movie is some kind of bizarre masterpiece. It's probably not a movie that most people would like, but violence, with Peckinpah, sometimes becomes a psychic ballet. His characters don't look for it, they don't like it, and they negotiate it with weariness and resignation. They're too beat up by life to get any kind of exhilaration from a fight. They've been in far too many fights already, and lost most of them, and the violence they encounter is just another cross to bear.

That's the case with Bennie, the antihero of "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia." He's played by Warren Oates, one of that breed of movie actors who attract us, somehow, through their negative qualities. He's like some of the characters played by Jack Nicholson or Bruce Dern; we like him because he's suffered so much more than we ever will (we hope) that no matter what horrors he goes through, or inflicts, we still care about him.

Bennie is a bartender and plays a little piano, and he hears about the head of Alfredo Garcia from a couple of bounty hunters who pass through his saloon. They're played, by the way, by the unlikely team of Gig Young and Robert Webber, who between them define dissipation. Garcia's head is worth a million bucks because Garcia, it turns out, has impregnated the daughter of a rich Mexican industrialist. The millionaire is almost a caricature of macho compulsiveness; he simultaneously puts a price on the head of the culprit, and looks forward with pride to the birth of a grandson.

Bennie sees the million dollars as his ticket out of hell, and on the way to finding it he runs across Alfredo Garcia's former lover, Elita (Isela Vega, looking as moistly erotic as anyone since young Anna Magnani). They fall in love, or something; their relationship is complicated by Bennie's crude shyness and her own custom of being abused by men.

The most perversely interesting relationship in the movie, however, is the friendship that grows between Bennie and Alfredo's head, once Bennie has gotten possession of it. That's made somewhat easier by the fact that Alfredo, it turns out, is already dead. But there is a gruesome struggle over his grave, and once Bennie finally gets the head he has to kill to protect his prize. His drive across Mexico is fueled by blood and tequila, and about halfway through it we realize why Peckinpah set his movie in the present, instead of in the past; this same material wouldn't have worked as a historical Western. The conventions of the genre would have insulated us from the impact of what happens. There would have been horses and watering holes and clich├ęs. Instead, we get unforgettable scenes of Warren Oates with that grisly burlap bag and the bottle next to him in the front seat, and the nakedness of his greed is inescapable.

Somewhere along the way Oates, as Bennie, makes a compact with the prize he begins to call "Al." They both loved the same woman, they are both being destroyed by the same member of an upper class, they're both poor bastards who never asked for their grief in life. And slowly, out of the haze of the booze and the depths of his suffering, Bennie allies himself with Al and against the slob with the money. "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" is Sam Peckinpah making movies flat out, giving us a desperate character he clearly loves, and asking us to somehow see past the horror and the blood to the sad poem he's trying to write about the human condition.

« : July 24, 2007, 09:34:25 AM Tucumcari_Bound »

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines