Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:50:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Help Me With Post-Modernist Western!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Me With Post-Modernist Western!  (Read 3272 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:22:07 PM »

I'm working on an idea for a post-modernist Western a la OUATITW, it will be similar in that it will incorporate scenes from various other Westerns/movies, albeit reworked somewhat. 

I only have a very sketchy plot outline - think "The Professionals" meets "The Wild Bunch" and "The Magnificent Seven", if you can - and it's deliberately derivative. 

All you need to do is help is post a scene from ANY Western (within reason - not sure I want "Django"-type stuff in there), Leone or otherwise, that you think could be incorporated into the films.  This isn't a poll or anything, just a question so I can compile a list of material.  The best ideas?  Well, I'll make that judgment, but I'll pick, say, the ten best scenes and rework the story around them.  You guys do have a say, however, and if you want to help me out, feel free.

Did I do a decent job of explaining what I need help with?  Hopefully this will be fun - just post your favorite scene (or a very good one at any rate) from any Western, or even any film (if the scene can be conceivably reworked into a Western setting), and we'll go from there.  I hope I get some replies, and don't confuse the hell out of all of you.  Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 07:04:40 PM »

I don't know if this will help, but I always liked the fact that when the James-Younger gang came to Northfield, Minn. to rob the bank, the townspeople didn't run away and hide, they didn't rely on their lawmen to save them, they took matters into their own hands and kicked some outlaw ass. Well recounted in the movie version, what was the title? The Great Northfield Minnesota Bank Robbery? Something like that...............

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:18:53 PM »

I don't know if this will help, but I always liked the fact that when the James-Younger gang came to Northfield, Minn. to rob the bank, the townspeople didn't run away and hide, they didn't rely on their lawmen to save them, they took matters into their own hands and kicked some outlaw ass. Well recounted in the movie version, what was the title? The Great Northfield Minnesota Bank Robbery? Something like that...............

"The Great Northfield, Minnesota Raid".  You were close.  But yeah, that's kind of thing I'm looking for. 

Just as a side note: If you notice in "The Wild Bunch", besides the railroad posse, of course, several members of the gang get killed by several townspeople who join in (the guy who falls into the clothing store, and the guy who got a shotgun blast to the face).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 07:25:06 PM »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. TWB does have a great opening, worthy of consideration for your project.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 08:08:25 PM »

i'm trying to think of great scenes from westerns that aren't already common knowledge for fans of the genre and the first one that came to mind was the final gunfight between henry fonda and james stewart in firecreek... don't remember exactly how it went, but the circumstances of stewart even being in it and the way it was shot is one of my favorite western scenes.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Tim
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 12:19:39 PM »

Doesn't Firecreek end with a woman, I forget her name, killing Henry Fonda because James Stewart is wounded? 

Good ending overall with the empty town, lots of wind and dust.  The thing I always remember is one of Fonda's gang getting shot by Stewart and then falling through the wooden sidewalk.  I don't know why this stuck with me, but still cool.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »

Check out ALDO RAY'S silent but psycho performance in WELCOME TO HARD TIMES ( 1967). Chilling and very unusual. Also BRANDO'S insane performance/character in MISSOURI BREAKS (1976). Great idea you're working on.

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »

Thanks to all who have given suggestions!  I already have a very early treatment which is certainly subject to possible revisions, but I'm certainly open to as many suggestions as can be doled out.  Not that I'm not doing any of my own thinking, but I'll admit I haven't seen nearly as many Westerns as most of you. Grin

My treatment already has some twenty-one references to various Westerns/other movies (including, obviously, most of Leone's).  I'd like to flesh it out a bit more before I post it on here though.

The basic plot. like I said, is based fairly closely on "The Professionals" (SE DVD of which is out tomorrow!), with some significant references to "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Wild Bunch".  Most of the other references are either quotes, "moments", or set-pieces, not necessarily important/essential to the plot (a lot of stuff from OUATITW and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance" particularly).   It's obviously more action-packed than either of the those films.

And good call, Belkin, for sugesting some villains for me to look at.  My bad guy is (hopefully) going to be one with not a single redeeming quality (something I've found to be very hard to do).  Maybe I'll do a Leone and cast someone completely unexpected (Tom Selleck maybe?).  And Sam Elliot has to play the lead.

I'm being helped by others, but if you guys have any more suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them.  Gonna watch "Ride The High Country" on TCM next Saturday - maybe there'll be some ideas we can pilfer - er, I mean, "homage" from that. Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM