Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2018, 03:01:49 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Major Dundee (1965)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
: Major Dundee (1965)  ( 77357 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #255 : January 19, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »

Garcia, hands down.

Cross of Iron, but make sure you watch it on Blu-ray.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #256 : January 19, 2015, 09:55:24 PM »

It's not absurdly low, though. I rate the film a "7."

absurdly low

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #257 : January 20, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »

You're absurdly low.
FoD has some great scenes where early Leone perfection can be spotted and I don't deny the importance of the film as a landmark in the history of cinema. That doesn't make me blond. I see it's flaws. Even better: not seeing it's many flaws is an insult to Leone's later works. That's because he saw the flaws too that Leone did better afterwards. But what can you expect from someone who thinks that A Most Violent year is dark?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #258 : January 20, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »

It's a shame it doesn't make you blond, because then I'd find you incredibly sexy ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #259 : January 20, 2015, 01:39:43 AM »

;D

It's the last time I reply from an iPad. I meant blind, of course.

« : January 20, 2015, 01:56:31 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #260 : January 20, 2015, 02:14:30 AM »

Yes, FoD has several flaws, but then it also has some pretty strong stuff. And in such a case the ability to create masterful scenes dominates over the obvious flaws. Another point is that Leone created the basic SW story and style, and despite of having watched too many of the films influenced by him, FoD still looks pretty fresh. 8/10

Major Dundee could have had a similar impact if the 180 min version had been realised. But Hollywood wasn't ready for such a film in 1965. Dundee came 2 years too early.

The early idea of the Apaches disappearing more and more the longer the film runs, and Dundee and his men getting wiped out in the battles with the French army was even more daring. What has remained from that idea is that Dundee's men look like savages when they went into their final battle against the civilized looking French lancers.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #261 : January 20, 2015, 02:29:06 AM »

What has remained from that idea is that Dundee's men look like savages when they went into their final battle against the civilized looking French lancers.

This makes me think of the use of music in the film. I have no memory of a film where music is used so heavily to reference the nationality of the characters being on-screen. Everytime you see a mexican, they launch a Mexican folk song. The French lancers are coming? Trumpets! While I thought it was quite heavy-handed, the diegetic version of it was amazing. The singing scenes where they oppose Southern and Yankee songs (probably Dixie Land and When Johnny Come Marching Home, I don't remember) is a good example. You even get another Shall We Gather At The River scene.

Another interesting point is that you get many scenes showing Mexico as some kind of paradise even-though people there suffer from the very violent history of the country. That's classic Peckinpah.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #262 : January 20, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »

;D

It's the last time I reply from an iPad. I meant blind, of course.
Really? I thought you were using a really clever metaphor. And why should we have to give it up just because you tell us differently now? No, no, in the tradition of "What planet are you smoking?" I'm going to continue to view your original phrase as correct. And I'm going to use it myself.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #263 : January 21, 2015, 06:40:47 AM »

In the midst of all this talk I decided to watch it again: it's still the (around) 7/10 movie for me, but with that feeling telling you it easily could have been great. Because you can feel there was an inspired man (one or more) behind this, from the characters, the look, the dialogue, and everything else. Great pity.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #264 : January 21, 2015, 06:41:19 AM »

The extended version, that is.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #265 : January 25, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »

RE: A Fistful of Dollars

I don't think it's fair to compare this movie to Leone's later work. In my arrogant opinion, movies should be judged for what they are trying to accomplish. FoD is a great, great low budget exploitation/b movie/action flick. It's quick paced with many memorable scenes and a killer ending - and the music is obviously amazing. I don't think it's fair to slight the movie because the director became a legendary filmmaker. It's an easy 9/10 for me.

As for Major Dundee, I still haven't got around to watching my copy of the bluray. It's been years since I've seen it so I'm pretty excited.

« : January 25, 2015, 11:02:09 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #266 : January 26, 2015, 01:39:37 AM »

RE: A Fistful of Dollars

I don't think it's fair to compare this movie to Leone's later work. In my arrogant opinion, movies should be judged for what they are trying to accomplish. FoD is a great, great low budget exploitation/b movie/action flick. It's quick paced with many memorable scenes and a killer ending - and the music is obviously amazing. I don't think it's fair to slight the movie because the director became a legendary filmmaker. It's an easy 9/10 for me.

As for Major Dundee, I still haven't got around to watching my copy of the bluray. It's been years since I've seen it so I'm pretty excited.

yeah, if you just do a straight-up comparison of FOD to FAFDM or GBU or OUATITW, it's no contest; the others are all better. But FOD is a great movie on its own, and if you look at FOD for what it is a first Western by a director working with a tiny budget and an first-time lead movie actor, creating a new prototype of a movie character, a new prototype for the Western, a new prototype of movie hero, hec, a new prototype of movie it's even more precious. Is FAFDM clearly a better movie than FOD? Yes. But if I was gonna be marooned on an island for the rest of my life and could only bring a few movies with me, would I take any non-Leone Western before I take FOD? No.

Ideally, a great artist should start out making great films and then get even better as time goes by but that shouldn't diminish how we view the earlier work.

If Leone had never made another movie, or if he had never made another good movie, would I like FOD as much as I do now? I dn't know. And I don't think about it. All I know is that FOD is a great and very special movie.
The fact that the director went on to make all-time greats should not diminish one's opinion of FOD; to the contrary, it should improve one's opinion of the greatness and preciousness of FOD  :)

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #267 : January 26, 2015, 01:47:46 AM »

My appreciation of FOD grew over time.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #268 : January 26, 2015, 01:50:54 AM »

Whatever its form or excuse is, it's worth the 8/10. (FOD)

MD on the other hand could have been the one that in overall terms comes closest to GBU, but destiny had other plans...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #269 : January 26, 2015, 01:55:57 AM »

Whatever its form or excuse is, it's worth the 8/10. (FOD)

Whatever its form or excuse, it's worth the 10/10.

: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines