Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:09:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I really don't enjoy this film.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I really don't enjoy this film.  (Read 4484 times)
Juan
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »

Now i don't want to get off on the wrong foot here, i mean i really like Sergio Leone he is my favourite director by far. However, i feel that the Good the Bad and the Ugly is his worst film bar none.  I think the film is over hyped and just does not deliver the goods.

The film spends far too much time focused on Tuco, when the characters of Blondie and Angle Eyes are far more interesting. I really think the whole episode with Tuco, making Blondie walk through the desert is a colossal bore.

I cannot see how so many people can say that this is Leones best film, especially when compared with Once upon a time in the West ( which i think is the best).

I simply cannot get into this film, and believe me ive tried and ive tried!

Does anyone agree with me?

PS

However i must say that showdown is by far the best out of all Leones films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 05:46:11 PM »

I have a sneaking suspision that you may not like The Big Gundown either, Lee Van Cleef is cool but Cuchillo is just as smart and is more of the focus of that film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:01:39 AM »

Its just an observation, nothing scientific, derringdo, over the years on this board the folks who disliked GBU tend to do so because they do not like the antics of Tuco, don't know why, it's just the way it seems to fall out, so also there seems to be a sizeable crowd that dislike the "over acting" of Tomas Milian.

Its interesting that in Fraylings "Something to do With Death" Frayling refers to Tuco being the "Italian Character" of the trilogy.

It may be a subject we can delve into deeper, it might be interesting to pose this question on the SW board where they have a broader background of the genre and see how it plays out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:25:02 PM »

i can see why juan thinks the way he does, this film is the most iconic when i (and juan i would think) would argue that both FAFDM and OUATITW and OUATIA are better. however, i am 100% certain that his worst film (except Colossus of Rhodes) is Duck You Sucker!! there are great moments and imagery but its a bit of mess.

i think theres certainly an element of GBU being considered the best cos it was the first to be released cinematically in the US, Fistful and FAFDM came after, and the Yanks came up with 'The Man with no Name' etc, so there may be an element of that.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »

I remember seeing "For A Few Dollars More" first then "A Fistfull of Dollars" and  FFDM on a double bill next, then GBU at least in New York City. I'd never heard of The Man With No Name  before me and my cousin Paul went to see FFDM just on the basis of a Newpaper add that looked cool. AFFOD may have indeed preceeded FFDM but it went un-noticed then by me.

These films played as double and tripple bills and the Newspaper adds proclaimed "spend an afternoon with the Man With No Name", these played in huge screen Times Square theaters and it was a draining experience. For a period of 2-3 years these films could always be found playing in some NYC theater. Occasionally they would also include Death Rides a Horse, and The Big Gundown.

mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:25:04 AM »

Well, I think Angel Eyes should have got more screen time but I think it works better to have Blondie as a mysterious drifter.

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Juan
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 04:04:48 PM »

i can see why juan thinks the way he does, this film is the most iconic when i (and juan i would think) would argue that both FAFDM and OUATITW and OUATIA are better. however, i am 100% certain that his worst film (except Colossus of Rhodes) is Duck You Sucker!! there are great moments and imagery but its a bit of mess.

i think theres certainly an element of GBU being considered the best cos it was the first to be released cinematically in the US, Fistful and FAFDM came after, and the Yanks came up with 'The Man with no Name' etc, so there may be an element of that.

I agree that FAFDM, OUATIA and OUATITW are by far better films. However, Duck you Sucker is not his worst film i still stand by Good the bad and the Ugly beeing the worst. I have the latest edition and those added scenes make the film even more boring.

I was having a conversation with a friend who loves this film, and even he agreed that those added scenes were unneccesary. He said they were cut not just because the film was long but because they were usually terrible.

Angle Eyes is a great character and its such a shame we do not see more of him. I really liked Van Cleefs acting.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 10:36:45 PM »

Don't worry man.   Flicks are just another one of life's little IQ tests.

More feeling.
Christopher
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 07:49:25 AM »

Don't worry man.   Flicks are just another one of life's little IQ tests.
Huh

forget_your_life
Road Apple

random member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 09:29:57 AM »

I have the latest edition and those added scenes make the film even more boring.

------------------------------------------------------

Angle Eyes is a great character and its such a shame we do not see more of him. I really liked Van Cleefs acting.

way to contradict yourself.

just let me go and i will pardon you.
Juan
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 04:43:17 PM »

way to contradict yourself.

Roll Eyes Huh Cheesy

Unkernown
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 03:06:41 AM »

The added scenes tend to explain little questions that aren't necessarily glaring but will occur to people watching this film after a few times.  Where does Tuco get his three friends from?  How does Angel Eyes find his way into the army?  Why do Tuco and Blondie end up at the mission?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 04:42:16 AM »

I think its a question of imagination, if you had a good imagination you could plausibly surmise all the small plot holes, in the first release, I figured AE could somehow figure out some devious way into the Union Army, and that Tuco could con some Mexican friends into rolling a stinking gringo like Blondie.  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM