Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2022, 12:02:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  greatest explosion ever!!!!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
: greatest explosion ever!!!!  ( 40089 )
coburn
Road Apple

Duck you Sucker!

« #30 : September 01, 2005, 10:12:43 AM »

I Agree that explosion was great, but the music for it was even better, especially when they went back to the caves.

I'm your Huckleberry! - Say When!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #31 : April 15, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »

And what do you think of blowing up the bridge in the Good, Bad and Ugly?  8)

Not as impressive.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #32 : June 19, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »

How about "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Guns of Navarone"?  Those are two pretty impressive explosions as well.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #33 : June 19, 2006, 06:41:52 PM »

How about "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Guns of Navarone"?  Those are two pretty impressive explosions as well.

"Kwai's" is good but it doesnt even touch DYS's explosion(I think).
Have not seen "Navarone".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #34 : June 20, 2006, 08:10:52 AM »

This sequence was included in full on the origional British release prints, so for me to see the film now, without this psychedelic destruction, always felt odd. Coppola would rather we see it without, I always want to see it intact.

It was one of the few movies I ever saw at the cinema where most of the audience would sit and watch the explosive credits*, with its Greatful Dead percussion section music. Great stuff.
When I saw this film on its first American run in 1979 there were no titles on the print itself (everyone got a paper programme with credits), so there was no explosion sequence at the end to run titles over. Coppola was never sure whether he wanted the destruction of the compound shown or not (even though he filmed it), and using it as background for the end titles (on subsequent release) was something of a compromise. I like the option of watching either the quiet ending or the loud, and would prefer DVD editions that offer both.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #35 : June 22, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »

The music in that scene is great, but look again your dvd and continue hearing the melody 3 or 4 more minutes, when Sean and Juan arrive at the caves and Juan finds all his sons dead.... That Morricone track is called "Dead sons". I have now more than 150 Morricone cds, and from all those cds "Dead Sons" is my favourite Morricone track.
  I totally agree. It is a very moving composition.

Tim

« #36 : June 23, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »

One of my favorite explosions was from John Wayne's The Alamo.  In the final assault, Wayne's Crockett, mortally wounded, throws a torch into a room full of ammunition, sending much of the mission sky high.

Seeing the Alamo Village in person is one thing I'm glad I was able to do.  Really helps you put into perspective how big those battle scenes are in the Waynamo.

geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #37 : June 25, 2006, 03:15:51 PM »

All are great in their own right. However, the explosion and music combo in GLT impressed me the most.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #38 : June 24, 2007, 10:35:45 PM »

This is arguably the greatest bridge explosion ever, I agree!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #39 : June 25, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

DYS bridge and train explosions are absolutely perfect. And,  :'(, the final explosion too. Perhaps he did it with the "holy water", not? Very big boom.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #40 : June 25, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »

DYS bridge and train explosions are absolutely perfect. And,  :'(, the final explosion too. Perhaps he did it with the "holy water", not? Very big boom.

The ending is sad, but quite beautiful at the same time. I'm still thinking about this film a day after I watched it. I think I'm going to watch it again tonight!

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #41 : June 26, 2007, 01:54:49 AM »

Watchin' again is a good thing! ;)

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #42 : June 26, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »

Yes the bridge scene is majestic compounded with the music...surreal.

But the train crash is less so. I hate to criticize the master director, but I remember when I firts saw it on screen way back in '71, thinking of the «Thunderbirds» the puppet and miniature show. Popular at the time. I still feel that way over 35 years of seeing this scene.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #43 : June 26, 2007, 05:29:21 AM »

I think Léon loved DYS.  ;D

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #44 : June 26, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »

Speaking of the Train Explosion at the end. Did anybody else notice this. When the two trains collide, they explode! Then, they cut back and forth and show us different angles of the explosion as they happen. Did anybody notice that the screen stretches out in certain scenes? I dunno why this is so.

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines