Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:07:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Walter Hill's Movies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walter Hill's Movies  (Read 12067 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 02:54:16 AM »

Red Heat (1988) Average Schwarzenegger movie, with some good one-liner and a good villain played by Ed O'Ross. Belushi is inept. 7\10

This one I've seen only once, in the early 90s - I remember it being decently entertaining.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »

Yeah. It seems to be a film without any point whatsoever.

It's interesting that you say that. Cuz after watching Hard Times a couple of days ago, I read Roger Ebert's review of it (as I do after every movie I watch  Smiley) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19751014/REVIEWS/510140302/1023

Here is his 4-paragraph review; focus specifically on the final two paragraphs, which I believe address your point (ie., Ebert discusses precisely what the point of the movie is):

"Hard Times" is a powerful, brutal film containing a definitive Charles Bronson performance. He plays Chaney, a man of few words and no past, who rides the rails to New Orleans for the winter and tries to win some money by fist fighting. It's in the middle of the Depression. The fights are all-out and bare-knuckle, held in warehouses and open by invitation to men with cash to wager.

Chaney gets into his first fight almost by accident, and wins. That's how he meets Speed (James Coburn), who will manage him for a piece of the action. And Speed introduces him to Poe (Strother Martin), who is sort of a doctor: "I spent two years in medical school. In the third year, a dark cloud appeared, and I left under it." He's hooked on opium, but can patch up a fighter and close his cuts. Chaney wins his first fight, and then (in an exhaustingly well-directed action sequence) goes up against the local champion. He's a giant nicknamed Skinhead who has the disconcerting habit of grinning all the time he's pounding his opponents. They fight in a steel-mesh bullpen, and there's a certain nobility about them. They may seem to be animals, but they're craftsmen, in a way, and they respect each other; the real animals are the spectators.

Later in the film, another fight is arranged - the Chicago champion has been brought south. Chaney doesn't want to fight - he has enough money. "I could start something right here and now," the man from Chicago says menacingly. "I know, but you won't," Chaney says. "You wouldn't work for free." He's right, and that's one of the chilling aspects of the movie's fight scenes: There's no dislike between the fighters. They're in it for money. What this says about the Depression, about hard times in general, is pretty clear, but the movie doesn't press the point. And that makes it all the more effective. There's the temptation, with material like this, to fashion parables and give the characters portentous speeches about the meaning of it all. But "Hard Times" never steps back from itself, never lectures us. It's theme is buried in its material, and it's a hard-edged action film all the way. The violence will be excessive for some audiences, but it's honest violence, about the way of earning a living. There's no sadism or cruelty involved: The fighters are professionals.

As Bronson creates it, the character of Chaney becomes curiously interesting. We know little about Chaney, and learn little, but we see a man with a barrier around himself that he's willing to lower for people he respects. He has a quiet affection for a part-time hooker (Jill Ireland), and a certain loyalty to Speed that causes him to fight again when Speed gets in trouble. And that's it. Almost everything else about him is simply implied by the Bronson presence. We could create several possible pasts for the character, but they wouldn't matter. Bronson simply implies that Chaney has had a past, a difficult one. That's what makes Bronson so good for roles like this; he seems to exist already as the character, so exposition isn't necessary. Walter Hill's screenplay and direction understand that, and the period locations provide the right settings. Chaney comes to town, fights because it's a living, lives according to his code and expects the others to. And they do. "Hard Times" is a tough, bitter, evocative document.

So according to Ebert, the movie indeed makes a very strong point, but in a subtle, non-preachy manner.

In a certain very loose way, the Bronson character reminds me of TMWNN in FOD: a man of few words and with no past, is broke and just does what he needs to do to get a few bucks, and then disappears from whence he came.

I just wonder if it fit the Bronson character to have given so much of his hard-earned money to Coburn and Martin (interestingly, stanton has made the same argument RE: TMWNN in FOD).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:50:06 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »

Really enjoyed Hill's Geronimo film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »

I saw it on Hulu.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »

I saw it on Hulu.

do you remember what aspect ratio it was in?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »

Southern Comfort (1981) - 9/10

Each time I watch this movie it seems it just gets better and better. Great action flick all around; but not only that, quite of a character study too. The story is 'kinda' simple, but fortified with subliminal currents strong enough to carry it. The performances are top notch too, I gotta say.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »

Hard Times (1975) - 7.5/10

A few turns too short but with great performances.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

Hard Times (1975) - 7.5/10

A few turns too short but with great performances.

Coburn, Bronson, Strothers, how can you go wrong?!  Afro

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Coburn, Bronson, Strothers, how can you go wrong?!  Afro

Yeah they did a beautiful job here. Coburn was on the edge a few of times, though, but I liked him anyway. Wink

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

The Driver (1978)

Pretty good.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:14 AM »

I'd also give Hard Times a 7.5/10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:44:07 AM »

Southern Comfort (1981) - 9/10

Each time I watch this movie it seems it just gets better and better. Great action flick all around; but not only that, quite of a character study too. The story is 'kinda' simple, but fortified with subliminal currents strong enough to carry it. The performances are top notch too, I gotta say.

Re-saw it today prompted by your review. I was disappointed, I remembered it being a better movie.  It is actually a cheap rewriting of Deliverance, with touches (visually) of First Blood (the traps). Can't see any originality, characters and dialogues are those of an average western. 6\10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 05:11:37 AM »

Characters and dialogues are indeed pretty weak. And in the middle part Southern Comfort hangs through. 7/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »

Well, I must be honest, I just enjoyed it for what it is without seeking anything more. The characters are nothing more than the premise could offer anyway, at least not to me. I could even agree with you guys that the dialogue is average, yet the interaction and chemistry between the characters makes it work perfectly for me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »

From Twilight Time (thus, limited to 3,000 units--and these will sell out):

HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM