Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2022, 11:35:26 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1367 1368 [1369]
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4773736 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20520 : November 28, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »

I haven't! Should I?

Fuck Yes its a Classic way better than the remake. I was hoping the remake would follow the novel better. But NO. Compare this (below) to the almost identical ending in the original that the remake used.

it goes down like this in the Novel.....

When night had come there was a tap on the door and Carlisle entered carrying in both hands a votive candle in a cup of red ruby glass. "lets go to the chapel."
      Grindle had never seen that room before.... the entire room was hung in folds of dark drapery. If there were any windows they were covered.
     The clergyman led his disciple to the divian; taking his hand he pressed him back against the cushions. "You are at peace. Rest, rest."
     Grindle felt foggy and vague. The bowl of jasmine tea which he had been given for supper had seemed bitter. Now his head was swimming lightly and reality retreated to arm's length.....
     Carlisle was chanting something which sounded like Sanskrit, then a brief prayer in English which reminded Grindle of the marriage service; but somehow the words refused to fit together in his mind.....
     They waited.
     From far away, from hundreds of miles it seemed came the sound of wind, a great rushing wind or the beating of giant wings. Then it died and there arose the soft tinkling notes of a sitar.....
     Ghostly music began again. From the curtains before the alcove a light flashed, then a sinuous coil of glowing vapor poured from between them, lying in a pool of mist close to the floor. It swelled and seemed to foam from the cabinet in a cascade....
     The pool of luminous matter began to take form. It swayed as a cocoon might sway from a moth's emerging. It became a cocoon holding something dark in it's center. Then it split and drew back toward the cabinet, revealing the form of a girl, lying on a bed of light, but illuminated only by the stuff around her. She was naked, her head resting on one bent arm.
     Grindle sank to his knees. "Dorrie-Dorrie-"
     She opened her eyes, sat up and then rose, modestly drawing a film of glowing mist over her body. The old man groped forward awkwardly, reaching up to her. As he drew near, the luminous cloud fell back and vanished. The girl stood white and tall, in the flicker of the votive candle across the room, and as she gazed down at him her hair fell over her face.
     "Dorrie-my pet-my honey love-my bride..."
     He picked her up in his arms, overjoyed at the complete materialization, at the lifelike smoothness of her body-she was so heartbreakingly earthly.
     Inside the cabinet the Re. Carlisle was busy packing yards of luminous-painted China  silk back into the hem of the curtains. Once he put his eye to the opening and his lips drew back over his teeth. Why did people look so filthy and ridiculous to anyone watching? Christ!
     The second time in his life he had seen it. Filth.
     The bride and bridegroom were motionless now.
     It was up to Molly to break away and get back to the cabinet. Stan turned the switch and the rhythmic, pounding heartbeat filled the room, growing louder. He tossed one end of the luminous silk through the curtains.
     The quiet forms on the divan stirred, and Stan could see the big man burrowing his face between Molly's breasts. "no-Dorrie-my own, my precious-I can't let you go! Take me with you, Dorrie-I don't want earth life without you..."
     She struggled out of his arms; but the bridegroom seized her around the waste, rubbing his forehead against her belly.
     Stan grabbed the aluminum trumpet. "Ezra-my beloved disciple-have courage. he must return to us. The force is growing weaker. In the city-"
     No! Dorrie-I must-I-once more..."
     This time another voice answered him. It was not a spiritual voice. It was the voice of a panicky showgirl who has more than she can handle. "Hey, quit it, for God's sake! Stan! Stan! Stan!
     Oh the dumb bitch!
     The Rev. Carlisle tore the curtains apart. Molly was twisting and kicking; the old man was like one possessed. In his pent-up soul the dam had broken, and the sedative Stan had loaded into his tea had worn off.
    Grindle clutch the squirming girl until she was jerked from his hands.
     "Stan! For God's sake get me out of here! Get me out!"
     Grindle stood paralyzed. For in the dim flickering light he saw the face of his spiritual mentor, the Rev. Stanton Carlisle, it was snarling. Then a fist came up and landed on the chin of the spirit bride. She dropped to the floor, knees gaping obscenely.
     Now the hideous face was shouting at Grindle himself. "You goddamned hypocrite! Forgiveness? All you wanted was a girl!" Knuckles smashed his cheekbone and Grindle bounced back on the divian.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #20521 : November 29, 2022, 09:22:45 PM »

Undertow (1949) - 6/10. Scott Brady is framed for murder in Chicago and must find the killer himself. Peggy Dow and Bruce Bennett help. Includes a low-key cameo by "Roc" Hudson. The story is from hunger, but it's only 70 minutes, and there's some style thrown in with the telling. There's some good location shooting, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-sSHplXRc&t=720s

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20522 : December 02, 2022, 06:51:32 AM »

Turbulence (1997).  Convicted serial killer Liotta gets loose from FBI on flight from NY to L.A. in an almost-empty 747 on Christmas Eve.  Stewardess Lauren Holley is heroine, but she looks somewhat weird to me, can't put my finger on it.  I would've rather had Catherine Hicks (2nd stewardess) in that role.

Actually, some of the lines Liotta says are pretty funny.

Cannot understand why Holley - after spraying Liotta in the face with a fire extinguisher and then bonking him in the head with it - doesn't whack him 10 more times !!!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20523 : December 02, 2022, 08:28:50 AM »

Sounds awful.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/cahiers-du-cinema-best-films-of-2022-list-1234787270/

Do you hate Pacifiction even more now?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20524 : December 02, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »

I hate the whole list. Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is a 2022 film? Only in an alt universe. Oh, that's when it finally played in some crappy French cinema? Don't just resign, Cahiers staff. Jump off a cliff together.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20525 : December 02, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »

I'm taking this answer as a resounding YES, but:

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is a 2022 film? Only in an alt universe. Oh, that's when it finally played in some crappy French cinema? Don't just resign, Cahiers staff. Jump off a cliff together.

YOU, not me, are actually PoweRR.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #20526 : December 02, 2022, 12:25:13 PM »

I'm taking this answer as a resounding YES, but:

YOU, not me, are actually PoweRR.
ITS TRUE.

If IMDb says 2021, it's 2021. If it says 2022, it's 2022.

No 2022 list is allowed to have a 2021.

If you can't see 2021 til 2022, then revise last year's list, dammit!

The Fabelmans (2022) - 8/10
Can't wait to see this as the best movie of 2023 on French fuck movie blogs.

« : December 02, 2022, 12:26:38 PM PowerRR »
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20527 : Yesterday at 07:00:52 AM »

Rained yesterday, watched Die Hard 2 (Die Harder), apparently had missed that one.  And why couldn't the planes be diverted to Baltimore, or even to Philadephia or New Jersey !!!

Cool was Franco Nero in a decent role !

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20528 : Yesterday at 07:12:05 AM »

Rained yesterday, watched Die Hard 2 (Die Harder), apparently had missed that one.  And why couldn't the planes be diverted to Baltimore, or even to Philadephia or New Jersey !!!

Cool was Franco Nero in a decent role !

I have watched each of the first 3 Die Hards (especially #3) many many times

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20529 : Yesterday at 03:02:14 PM »

I have watched each of the first 3 Die Hards (especially #3) many many times
Your point being . . . . you prefer crap?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20530 : Today at 03:19:32 AM »

Breaking Bad, seasons 1 to 5 - 9/10
Second full viewing. That was awesome. The evolution of the quality of the show itself gives a nice history of the evolution of tv shows during that time period. It also reminds of how influential BB was and still is. The last half a season is a masterpiece, S5E14 is probably the best 50min ever done for TV. although I have never seen the TV version of Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage, which has a shot, and I also have never seen this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/
Needless to say, there are MUCH stronger stuff in Twin Peaks but I don't think you ever get 50min of terrific art in one sitting there.

Now time to watch El Camino and BCS again. The Wire and The Sopranos are up next, and i'll have to start them over because i have no idea where i stopped.

Ford vs Ferrari (James Mangold) - 7.5/10
Rewatched that one to get some hope for the next Indiana Jones movie.

« : Today at 06:06:36 AM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #20531 : Today at 10:36:44 PM »

Your point being . . . . you prefer crap?

I don't know how I'd like them if I saw them now, because all of these viewings were between the ages of 15 and 22. But back then they brought me great joy for many many hours I'll never have back. Come to think of it, that's a longer period of time than all my viewings of The Patriot, which were between 15 and 18.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1367 1368 [1369]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines