Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 08:35:14 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104
: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  ( 474244 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1530 : May 16, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »

Lincoln Center:
https://www.filmlinc.org/daily/visconti-retrospective-announced/

Here's the highlight:
Ossessione
Italy, 1943, 140m
Italian with English subtitles
Restored by Istituto Luce Cinecittà, CSC-Cineteca Nazionale and VIGGO.
Saturday, June 9, 5:15pm
Wednesday, June 13, 6:30pm

I have been waiting to see a good version of this. Hopefully, this restoration qualifies.

let us know

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #1531 : May 17, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »

Lincoln Center:
https://www.filmlinc.org/daily/visconti-retrospective-announced/

Wow - what a great line-up. There are certainly going to be some sumptuous visuals.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #1532 : July 03, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

One Way Street (1950): James Mason double-crosses criminal Dan Duryea and his gang out of 200K of stolen money, and sets off to Mexico City with Duryea's moll Märta Torén. But their plane crashes and they end up in a small Mexican town, where Mason becomes the local doctor. Realizing they could be happy there, they head back to LA to square things and return the money to Duryea... That's not a great idea you say? Mason is already way ahead of you. Still, it's a bad bad bad idea.

Director Hugo Fregonese's first American movie shows some signs of a potential minor noir gem with a great opening act and a pretty good closing act. Did I already mention Duryea's gang includes noir stalwarts William Conrad and an uncredited Jack Elam? Unfortunately the slow middle part in the Mexican town is predictable melodrama and also takes up most of this movie's run-time. Not even Mason can save that part, altho some of the minor Mexican characters are decent. Watch this for the opening act, then fast-forward through the middle part and then press 'play' again when they head back to LA. Despite the middle part, it's still a 6+/10 for me.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
moorman
Gunslinger

« #1533 : July 03, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »

One Way Street (1950): James Mason double-crosses criminal Dan Duryea and his gang out of 200K of stolen money, and sets off to Mexico City with Duryea's moll Märta Torén. But their plane crashes and they end up in a small Mexican town, where Mason becomes the local doctor. Realizing they could be happy there, they head back to LA to square things and return the money to Duryea... That's not a great idea you say? Mason is already way ahead of you. Still, it's a bad bad bad idea.

Director Hugo Fregonese's first American movie shows some signs of a potential minor noir gem with a great opening act and a pretty good closing act. Did I already mention Duryea's gang includes noir stalwarts William Conrad and an uncredited Jack Elam? Unfortunately the slow middle part in the Mexican town is predictable melodrama and also takes up most of this movie's run-time. Not even Mason can save that part, altho some of the minor Mexican characters are decent. Watch this for the opening act, then fast-forward through the middle part and then press 'play' again when they head back to LA. Despite the middle part, it's still a 6+/10 for me.

James Mason and Dan Duryea. This should be pretty good. Gonna give it a watch...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1534 : July 03, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

I've never seen this one, let me know if you find a free source.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #1535 : July 04, 2018, 12:20:29 AM »

I've never seen this one, let me know if you find a free source.

Ah yes, sorry! I found it on yt a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRA2m-1RVxY

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1536 : July 04, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »

Ah yes, sorry! I found it on yt a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRA2m-1RVxY

Thanks

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1537 : July 05, 2018, 06:32:40 AM »

Great premise. And what a cast!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #1538 : August 02, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »

Beaver on the available DVD versions of Desert Fury: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/desert_fury.htm
Kino Lorber have confirmed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray Lewis Allen's film Desert Fury (1947), starring Lizabeth Scott, Burt Lancaster, John Hodiak, Wendell Corey, and Mary Astor. The release is expected to arrive on the market later this year.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #1539 : August 02, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »

As one of the few fans (assuming) of Desert Fury, I'll have to buy the blu on day one. The 3-strip technicolor should look amazing.

It's sort of the Twin Peaks of the 40's it's an odd, but fascinating movie which is admittedly aided by its lush colors/visuals.

Thanks for posting that info.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #1540 : August 03, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »

Just saw Desert Fury (1947) at the Seattle Noir Festival. It's actually in Technicolor, so there will be those who argue against it being a true noir (not me, life is too short). What a cast: Lizabeth Scott, Mary Astor, Burt Lancaster, John Hodiak, and Wendell Corey. Hodiak is a gambler, Corey his muscle: they've been together so long they're like a married couple. So, tension mounts when it seems Scott will come between them. Then there are problems between Scott and her mother (Astor); and why won't Scott give nice-guy sheriff Lancaster the time of day? This is actually one of those films that is better now than when it was made because there is so much in it that is unintentionally funny. One of those so-bad-it's-good experiences. Wendell Corey, with his deadpan delivery, steals the show. I laughed a lot.  O0 O0 O0
In anticipation of the coming Blu, I rewatched this on an Australian DVD I own. I like this film better and better with every viewing. The Technicolor is, of course, incendiary. What really works, though, is the dialog. Every character has so much attitude there are invisible walls surrounding them, walls made with words. Nobody gives an inch. Scott and Astor, playing daughter and mother, square off in every scene they're in together. Scott and Lancaster fence whenever they meet. Scott and Hodiak are always out to out-snark each other, and that becomes the basis of their relationship. Then there are the amazing exchanges between Hodiak and Corey--and they're supposed to be best friends! Well, you need something in a crime film where there's no action until the final 5 minutes. I hope the Blu does justice to the visuals, but if not, I'll skip it and keep the DVD for the dialog. Call it Banter Noir, CJ!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #1541 : September 17, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23916
I have actually never seen this title, so I'm pretty keen. Sterling Hayden! Gloria Grahame!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1542 : September 17, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23916
I have actually never seen this title, so I'm pretty keen. Sterling Hayden! Gloria Grahame!

I like it, Gloria at the top of her allure, a blu would be nice.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #1543 : September 18, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »

I wish l liked this title more, but it's nice the restoration and transfer are good: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-Who-Cheated-Himself-Blu-ray/208262/#Review

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #1544 : November 13, 2018, 01:52:37 AM »

From https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24200:
Arrow Academy has announced two new titles for Blu-ray release: Joseph H. Lewis' So Dark the Night (1946) and My Name Is Julia Ross (1945).

Neither are top-tier noir classics, but both are good noir(-ish) thrillers in their own right. And Arrow will release them both in the UK as well as the US. Already pre-ordered them both.

Thankfully they come with reversible covers, the new covers are pretty mediocre IMHO.

: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines