Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:48:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367900 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

Noir week has come and gone, and I saw all the ones I wanted and then some. I got a free ticket to opening night and so was able to catch a new 35mm print of The Prowler, with Van Heflin as a (very entertaining) psycho cop. Next I saw the Gail Russell double feature: Moonrise turned out to be a disappointment, visually rich, but plot-wise, a beggar. Night Has a Thousand Eyes, however, with the great Edward G. as a psychic, was a real corker--but then, it was based on a Cornell Woolrich story, so you'd expect no less. Then, Women-in-Peril Night had one with Ida Lupino (Woman in Hiding--too many plot contrivances to enjoy), and one with Barbara Stanwyck (Jeopardy--no less contrived, but with dynamite pacing that kept your mind on the action). But as Mr. Muller said in his opening remarks, with Ida and Barbara as the women, how much peril can they be in? [It turns out Jeopardy is actually out on video, and I can recommend it as the best 69 minute feature I've ever seen.] Finally, I was able to finish up with Conflict, one of the few Bogarts I hadn't seen until then (Bogey discovers that murdering his wife puts him in a lonely place--ha!).

With the festival over, what's a noirhead like me to do? No worries: the local revival house is beginning a Phil Karlson retrospective this week. First up: 5 Against the House (w/Kim Novak and Brain Keith - 1955) and Brothers Rico (w/Richard Conte - 1957).  I don't much care for Karlson's Kansas City Confidential, but last year I saw his 99 River Street and enjoyed it, so I've got my hopes up. Anway, the important thing is, I get to see these films, and you don't. That's noir, baby!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »

Beaver:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/daisy_kenyon.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/black_widow.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/dangerous_crossing.htm

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »

Here's a comparison Beaver has done of the different versions of Cry of the City: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews21/cry_of_the_city_dvd_review.htm
The German one looks good, and really whets my appetite for the new Criterion disc, which should look as good or better.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »

Sounds like I'm going to have to check out The Prowler when I can, I'm beginning to develope a healthy respect for Van Heflin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »

Sounds like I'm going to have to check out The Prowler when I can, I'm beginning to develope a healthy respect for Van Heflin
Yeah, he's an interesting actor. Just saw him in Gunman's Walk, playing a crusty rancher with two grown sons. He plays it as a back-slapping, hard-drinking good-ol-boy, and does it very convincingly.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »

Heflin really was a versatile actor.  Last weekend I caught most of Patterns (1956) on TCM.  He was pretty terrific in this film as well.  In Patterns he plays an executive thatís worked his way up from the field to management.  Brought in to replace another aging executive played by Ed Begley.  The film was based upon a teleplay and script by Rod Serling.  Apparently, it was originally a television production for the old Kraft Theater program in 1955.  The television production was so well received, that a studio approached Serling to script a feature film version.  I guess much like his screenplay for Requiem For A Heavyweight.  Everett Sloane is outstanding as well. Nicely written and acted.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »

Hulu.com has Boomerang! available to stream for free. The catch is you gotta watch a bunch of annoying commercials interspersed throughout, but given the difficulty of finding this title, it's nice this option's available. It's allowed me to finally see it.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »

His Kind of Woman (1951) - 6.5/10
Is Jane Russell hot or what! Kiss

Dan Milner (Robert Mitchum), a gambler, agrees to fly to a high class hotel in Mexico for $50,000. No reason for this request is given. On the way there he meets Lenore Brent (Russell) who has the same destination. She's going there to meet her boyfriend, actor Mark Cardigan (Vincent Price). At their destination Milner starts to wonder why he's there and to have second thoughts...

Until the last half an hour it's very entertaining; the Mitchum/Russell couple is nice, supportive characters are entertaining (though, in the end most of them appear to have little to do with anything) and the dialogue is juicy. But the last half an hour! For some reason, at the point where one would expect the movie to pick up the pace it feels slower than ever before; and this is where all the action happens! Also, on one hand there is serious stuff and unexpectedly violent violence but on the other hand there is this actor character going through a farce of his own, and this doesn't come off all that well (I can see the same problem in PotC films). What's worst, we don't see Russell on screen for almost half an hour Sad

Continued here............: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg149093#msg149093

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:46:12 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »

Scarlet Street 9/10, this was one of those Noirs where you never quite were sure which way it was going, kept me interested throughout, it was great, Dir, Fritz Lang, with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Benett, Dan Duryea. rent & check it out on Netflix!

continued here........ : http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg146626#msg146626

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:22:48 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »

According to Dvd Empire, Fox will release 3 more noirs on September 2nd. They are:
Boomerang
Moontide
Road House.

Found this note today at HTF. Exciting news, although with Boomerang available on Hulu now, not as exciting as it would have been a few months back. The other two are Ida Lupino films: Moontide being a rare Hollywood starring vehicle for Jean Gabin (and directed or partially directed by Fritz Lang); and Road House featuring Lupino in a triangle with Cornel Wilde and Richard Widmark. Haven't seen either of these, and am looking forward particularly to Road House.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

I think I'll make it's own thread, since it's so damn good. Tuco_Harmonica in the 'Rate the Last Movie' thread claimed it to be the greatest American film ever. While I wouldn't go THAT far, it's certainly nearly the best of the 50's.

As mentioned in the other thread Lancaster and Curtis give incredible performances. The downtown New York atmosphere Mackendrick creates is unbeatable. It has to be the "New Yorkiest" movie I've ever seen aside from Manhattan. The script is perfection, the dialog contributes even more to the wonderful atmosphere.

Well I'm not going to go on pulling a bunch of praise (and adjectives) out of my ass. Just see the movie.

Thread continues here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg134602#msg134602

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:49:51 PM by cigar joe » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

*Tuco Harmonica said it's possibly the greatest American movie that he's seen.

You know what, it is the best American movie of all time. I doubt I'll see anything that I think will best it.  Grin

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »

Ok, I think it's time to see this. I love Burt Lancaster and this film has seemed to slip under my radar.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

WOW!: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/desert_fury.htm

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »

Sounds interesting

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM