Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:44:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 379659 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »

Blast of Silence (1961) Baby Boy Frankie (France), Cronaca di un assassinio (Italy), Explosion des Schweigens (West Germany)

Excellent low low budget "Spillane-Hammeresque" noir shot on a shoestring (for about $30,000) using actual NYC locations, they got Lionel Stander to do the narration for a $1000 uncredited, director Allen Baron was going to use Peter Falk as the lead but he got a better offer so Baron used himself, lol. Nice soundtrack also. This is my NYC from my youth a trip down nostalgia lane it won an award in Munich recently  Afro

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:35:01 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 01, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »

The Last Seduction (1994)

A great great neo noir starring Linda Fiorentino in what I think is probably the ultimate sizzling femme fatal performance. Lots of twists and turns make this one a fun ride, saw this on the big screen in 1994 and had it on DVD but just re-watched it today for the first time in years, glad I did. Dircted by John Dahl with Bill Pullman and Peter Berg.

A psychological thriller/ black comedy.  Bridget, a refreshingly chain-smoking New Yorker,  ruthlessly exploits the weaknesses of the bottom feeders she comes in contact with.  She uses her sexual attraction to stun the hapless men (who reside in the Western, Southern Tier, Rt 17 corridor of New York State south of Buffalo) into slobbering idiots. 9/10 check it out  Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »

Dahl did 3 neo-noirs in a row, in quick succession, from 89-94: Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, and The Last Seduction. All are good, all have femme fatales manipulating dopes into criminal activities. Maybe my favorite is the first one.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:14 AM »

I don't believe I've ever seen the first I'll have to give it a go.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »

I, the Jury (1953) Dir. by Harry Essex, very good adaptation of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer book. Biff Elliot and his bull in the china shop style grows on you as the film progresses. This film is also loaded with interesting character actors and features some great locations, it needs a better release 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:30 AM »

I, the Jury (1953) Dir. by Harry Essex, very good adaptation of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer book. Biff Elliot and his bull in the china shop style grows on you as the film progresses. This film is also loaded with interesting character actors....
And their names are Peggie Castle, Peggie Castle, and Peggie Castle.  Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 08, 2010, 04:43:01 AM »

The Two Mrs. Carrols (1947) Seen this before, I remembered about 1/2 way through, its the noir style but with an English theme with English accents which is not high on my list of my preferred noir garnishments (gritty, big city dosen't matter local, sleazy, bleak far Western US, Tex-Mex border, neon loaded, rural US) oh well for me and my tastes 6/10.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:55:27 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 08, 2010, 07:13:41 AM »

The Two Mrs. Carrols (1947) Seen this before, I remembered about 1/2 way through, its the noir style but with an English theme with English accents which is not high on my list of my preferred noir garnishments (gritty, big city doen't matter local, sleazy, bleak far Western US, Tex-Mex border, neon loaded, rural US) oh well for me and my tastes 6/10.
I agree that it's not great, but it's a Bogart that a lot of people haven't seen, and Bogart is always interesting. Another better film built on similar lines (again with Bogart) is Conflict.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

Joe (and other noir-heads), check this site out: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewforum.php?f=18

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »

Thanks, I bookmarked it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »

Red Rock West (1993) Dir by John Dahl with Nicolas Cage, J.T. Walsh, Lara Flynn Boyle and Dennis Hopper, with a cast like this it should have been a whole lot better, seemed like an on the cheap production with a ridiculous car vs train chase, and a farcical ending. Nowhere near as good as "The Last Seduction" 6/10.

The Web (1947 Dir by Michale Gordon with Ella Raines   , Edmond O'Brien, William Bendix , and Vincent Price a little bit too predictable 6.5 to 7/10 at best.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »

The Web (1947 Dir by Michale Gordon with Ella Raines   , Edmond O'Brien, William Bendix , and Vincent Price a little bit too predictable 6.5 to 7/10 at best.
It has, IMHO, Bendix's best ever performance.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:54 AM »

Not exactly noir, but it IS a Phil Karlson picture: http://www.hulu.com/watch/119375/the-silencers

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »

Cry Danger (1951) Dir by Robert Parrish. This film I liked, The opening title sequence with the Sunset Limited is cool, the quirky trailer park setting along with its resident trailer trash is unique,  and the story keeps you interested great performances by Dick Powell, Rhonda Fleming, Nancy Morgan, Richard Erdman, William Conrad, Regis Toomey, Jean Porter,  and Jay Adler. 7/10

My second viewing review here........: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg148264#msg148264

The Web (1947 Dir by Michale Gordon with Ella Raines, Edmond O'Brien, William Bendix , and Vincent Price a little bit too predictable 6.5 to 7/10 at best.
It has, IMHO, Bendix's best ever performance.

Yea, Bendix was good in The Web.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:13:11 AM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

Not a favorite of mine, but free streaming video is free streaming video! http://www.hulu.com/watch/118469/somewhere-in-the-night

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM