Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:34:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 381056 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 25, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »

Thanks for that link.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 27, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

Naked Lunch (1991)

A fascinating and very crispy piece of Kafkaesqian absurdist surrealism (or absurdism and surrealism, if you like). Fantastic; these things rarely turn out to be this entertaining and encircled. I'll have to read the book at some point, although knowing the movie bares little resemblance to it I'm wondering if there's any point. Peter Weller gives a gargantuan performance: Bill Lee is one tragicomic and oblivious MF, he carries the whole parade around on his face, l-o-l! (BTW, what the hell happened to him?)

Moreover - and most important - a bloody fantastic piece of disguised film noir! Morphium-noir at its best, probably the only one of its kind!

And yeah, it had me laughing like few other movies did - is there something wrong with me? Doctor?

7.7/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »

A nice article on the demise of the Femme Fatale:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/whatever-happened-to-the-femme-fatale-1633088.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »

I've just read a contemporary italian review (by a distinguished poet) and the plot is very alluring:

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »

Its not on Netflix it may not have a DVD release yet.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »

His Kind of Woman (1951) - 6.5/10
Is Jane Russell hot or what! Kiss

Dan Milner (Robert Mitchum), a gambler, agrees to fly to a high class hotel in Mexico for $50,000. No reason for this request is given. On the way there he meets Lenore Brent (Russell) who has the same destination. She's going there to meet her boyfriend, actor Mark Cardigan (Vincent Price). At their destination Milner starts to wonder why he's there and to have second thoughts...

Until the last half an hour it's very entertaining; the Mitchum/Russell couple is nice, supportive characters are entertaining (though, in the end most of them appear to have little to do with anything) and the dialogue is juicy. But the last half an hour! For some reason, at the point where one would expect the movie to pick up the pace it feels slower than ever before; and this is where all the action happens! Also, on one hand there is serious stuff and unexpectedly violent violence but on the other hand there is this actor character going through a farce of his own, and this doesn't come off all that well (I can see the same problem in PotC films). What's worst, we don't see Russell on screen for almost half an hour Sad

The search engine worked! What I learned is to type the last names of the actors and that usually delivers.

Thanks for saving me the time, but I'd say the entire last hour is pretty bad, or whenever the point when Mitchum arrives on the ship; but I have to admit the scene where he shoots the pipe and crawls under the steam was entertaining.

I really enjoyed the first hour or so, some pretty respectable Hawks posturing. I think it goes without saying, but Mitchum and Russell make quite the duo. And yeah, Russell was a looker in her prime. Macao, while not perfect, is a much better film and similar. It's a shame that the movie derailed to that extent.

This could have been salvaged in the editing room, had they pulled an Annie Hall and ditched the plot, or leave in enough and let Mitchum and Russell carry the movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 10, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »

Macao, while not perfect, is a much better film and similar. It's a shame that the movie derailed to that extent.
Completely disagree. Macao (both the city and the movie) completely bores me, but His Kind of Woman remains entertaining even when the plot stops working and the tone from one scene to the next ceases to cohere. Yeah, maybe they could have "fixed" the picture, but why? Would that have made the film any more enjoyable? Not for me. Mitchum is still Mitchum, Price is likeably hammy, and Raymond Burr gets to do his best turn as a villain. Given 9 seasons of Perry Mason, it's impossible, retrospectively, to view Burr in an objective way; he must remain Mason even as we view him as the heavy. I can't take any of it seriously. So a post-modern reading is inevitable. That being the case, it's just like watching a Godard film. For me, anyway.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »

Completely disagree. Macao (both the city and the movie) completely bores me, but His Kind of Woman remains entertaining even when the plot stops working and the tone from one scene to the next ceases to cohere. Yeah, maybe they could have "fixed" the picture, but why? Would that have made the film any more enjoyable? Not for me. Mitchum is still Mitchum, Price is likeably hammy, and Raymond Burr gets to do his best turn as a villain. Given 9 seasons of Perry Mason, it's impossible, retrospectively, to view Burr in an objective way; he must remain Mason even as we view him as the heavy. I can't take any of it seriously. So a post-modern reading is inevitable. That being the case, it's just like watching a Godard film. For me, anyway.

I'd say Mitchum and Russell's chemistry is reason alone. And yes, I definitely think the movie would be more enjoyable, especially considering that I didn't find anything in the last half to have any relevance, nor did I even find it entertaining. Macao, and its unoriginal ways, at least understands that Mitchum and Russell's relationship should be at the heart of the movie.

Mitchum all but vanishes while Russell's character is completely non-existent in the last hour. I don't see the point in that. I'm a fan of Price, but he was miscast for the role. He simply doesn't belong in this type of film. And I don't have any opinion on Burr because I'm not a Perry Mason fan--not that I have anything against the show, but I only watched episodes as a little kid. I don't really see the Godard connection either. With his work, at least the character and/or plot abandonment is intended, thus making it more digestible and relevant. I guess there could be a similarity for someone who watches a Godard movie without any knowledge going in, but in this case, I don't feel that bad writing should be rewarded.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »

Murder By Contract (1958) - 8/10. Vince Edwards plays a guy who takes up contract killing because it pays better.  The film begins with a quick tour through his early, simple assignments before settling down on the one that is much more complicated and lengthy and which ultimately proves his undoing. For his final hit Edwards is given two stooges to assist him (one played by Herschel Bernardi!) and they provide a certain amount of comedy relief. There's an odd vibe running through the film--you can't tell if you are supposed to take things seriously or not--that reminded me a lot of Jim Jarmusch's approach. In fact, this film would probably make a great double bill with The Limits of Control. The LA setting is complemented by a pre-surf electric guitar score. This is one I'll definitely be watching again.

I agree with your thoughts but haven't seen 'Limits' yet.

That is probably the best score I've heard pre-Morricone. Well, I can't think of any that I would prefer. It's not perfect, but like Blast of Silence--my pick for a double bill--it's both campy, brilliant and a little "off". 8/10.

I need to see The Sniper and 5 Against the House

The Hit (1984) - I don't have a bad thing to say about this movie, it's exceptional. Terrence Stamp, John Hurt and Tim Roth were perfectly cast. The movie is beautiful to look at, features a great score and has a ton of charm. Pleasant surprise. 9/10

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:04:44 AM by T.H. » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

The Hit (1984) - I don't have a bad thing to say about this movie, it's exceptional. Terrence Stamp, John Hurt and Tim Roth were perfectly casted. The movie is beautiful to look at, features a great score and has a ton of charm. Pleasant surprise. 9/10
My recollection is that this is just so-so, but I haven't seen it since it first came out. I should probably give it another look.

The Sniper is interesting, and has some great SF location work. Five Against the House, even with Kim Novak, is pretty tepid.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

That's disappointing to hear about 5AtH, since it has a great premise and is a Karlson movie.

The Hit is definitely worth another look. I doubt you'll enjoy it as much as I did, but it's interesting and worth examining.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »

The Hit (1984) - I don't have a bad thing to say about this movie, it's exceptional. Terrence Stamp, John Hurt and Tim Roth were perfectly cast. The movie is beautiful to look at, features a great score and has a ton of charm. Pleasant surprise. 9/10

A good movie indeed, gets slightly better and better each time I watch it. Laura del Sol is smokin' hot here. I'd give it an 8.

But is it a noir, Mitch?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 14, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »

Laura del Sol is smokin' hot here.
Now that I distinctly remember (and I love her in those flamenco movies she did).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »

A good movie indeed, gets slightly better and better each time I watch it. Laura del Sol is smokin' hot here. I'd give it an 8.

But is it a noir, Mitch?

I'd say it qualifies as a neo noir.

and I have been a bit sleep deprived of late, so that's the reason for all the grammar errors--not that I am a stranger to them.

The Big Sleep (1978) - Meh. I want to reserve my judgment a bit because I didn't see it in its OAR but what a bore. Mitchum is the only reason to watch this. The daughters were miscast and just plain horrible. And to borrow a page from Titoli's book, not very attractive either. While Michael Winner is a competent director for Bronson homicidal rage flicks, I don't think very highly of his work outside of that realm. If he isn't a hack, he's damn close. I do need to give Lawman another chance though.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:43:26 PM by T.H. » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »

Farewell, My Lovely (1975) with Mitchum is light years better.  Afro

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM