Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:13:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-Noir Discussion/DVD Review Thread  (Read 367854 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

Farewell, My Lovely (1975) with Mitchum is light years better.  Afro
Seconded. But then, it wasn't a Winner film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »

I wish that was released on region 1, oh well. I'll track it down. Thanks.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

BS is not Winner's best movie, I can easily agree, but about the sisters, expecially the one playing Carmen, I disagree. Have you seen American Graffiti?

And Sarah Miles, well she's no Bacall, but she's far from ugly.

And Winner is not a hack. He may not be a great director but I would like so much to watch these days movies like the ones with Bronson or Lawman.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

Yes, I like AG quite a bit but I can't say I find her very attractive. I will admit that her hair style wasn't helping her cause.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »

I'd say it qualifies as a neo noir.

and I have been a bit sleep deprived of late, so that's the reason for all the grammar errors--not that I am a stranger to them.

No worries, you can take the car, Mitch, it does me no good. Just leave the girl and your sleeping problems will soon be over (while mine will start).

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:25 AM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704722304575037631589446308.html?KEYWORDS=dvd+movies

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »

The Sniper (1952) - 7/10. Stanley Kramer's name on the front of this red-flagged it for me, and sure enough, it turned out to be a movie with a message. I guess the message was, Psycho killers are people too. Who knew? But also they're a menace, and nobody wants this particular one on the loose, not even the sniper himself. He keeps sending the police messages hoping they'll put a stop to his compulsion to kill good-looking brunettes, but they take their time about it. When they finally nab him, though,  he's visibly upset about what he's done. A shame about the large body count. Presenting the killer sympathetically was, apparently, a way for the producer to show his good intentions. This isn't your ordinary tawdry tale of serial killings, Mr. Kramer seems to be repeatedly announcing, this is a much more high-toned affair. Oh well, the San Francisco locations are shot well, the score is quite interesting, and the lead actor isn't bad. But what's Adolphe Menjou doing in the picture--and what happened to his mustache?

Too much time was spent in police headquarters with secondary characters sharing their philosophies on how to treat violent criminals. I'd say it's obvious Kramer's voice is heard through the psychologist. As preachy as it is, it was an interesting movie with some great moments. I wish more time was spent in the streets because the location work was very good, like you said. The shot when the lead shoots the dude on the water tower in one frame is something that will stick with me. I wish there were more moments like that.

I actually thought Menjou turned in the best performance in the movie and it's always great to see Marie Windsor.

7-8/10

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:15:44 PM by T.H. » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »

And Sarah Miles, well she's no Bacall, but she's far from ugly.

Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »

I take back my comment on Sarah Miles because I didn't realize she was in Blow Up.

But she really looked bad in the movie.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475871/

Sad.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »

Le jour se lève (1939)

If the story was more complex this would have been a huge movie, like this it often drives forward relying mostly on Jean Gabin's great charisma as the leading man. Jacqueline Laurent was unbelievably cute, Arletty on the other hand very magnetic. Good (if not great) cinematography. Noir before noir?

(around) 7.5/10

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:16:49 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2010, 07:11:01 PM »

Cool audio interview with Eddie Muller, the Czar of Noir (interspersed with some great noir soundtrack music):
http://www.backalleynoir.com//showthread.php?200-Eddie-Muller-on-The-Juke-Joint-radio-show

Good to know Human Desire is finally coming to DVD, and that Too Late For Tears is getting the full restoration treatment.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »

New pressed DVDs of the following are coming (possibly this summer) per reports at the Digital Bits and HTF: Rope of Sand (49), Union Station (50), Dark City (50), and Appointment With Danger (51). Looking forward to that last one, especially--Jack Webb as the bad guy!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2010, 03:57:25 AM »

The House On Telegraph Hill (1951) dir by Robert Wise with Richard Basehart, Valentina Cortese   (who I just saw recently in "Thieves Highway"), William Lundigan, and Fay Baker, good film with twists about a 7/10.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:29:56 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 29, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) - 7.5/10
I guess I was more fitting audience for it now than five years ago.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM